Moar Units Mod

MOAR Units Mod 1.2

Hi, I have a request maybe a bit off topic, can you do something about the Missile Cruiser? going from a big badass Battleship to this toy... :undecide:
I'm not sure what can be done currently? maybe make it bigger is a good start

What's your opinion about replacing the Machine Gun with a Mortar unit, with an attack range of 2?
Right now I never upgrade my Field Cannons, because you lose that additiona attack range, which makes them pretty useless in my opinion. Now I did mod my Machine Guns to have an attack range of 2, but historically this feels a bit awkward. Firing with a Machine Gun behind your own lines would hit your own guys, so a Mortar unit would make much more sense in that regard. The mortars being the Longbowmen of their time.

You could maybe even add back in the Machine Gun as some sort of defensive support unit, where it e.g. gives +5 vs. ground attacks (and ranged? and air?). In Civ4 the Machine Gun was a purely defensive unit, unable to attack, which I think fits much better to that unit. It's perfect for securing your current location, but quite hard to make a meaningful offensive attack with (yeah, just carry that heavy and hot machine gun with your bare hands and storm against the enemy lines just like in the movies!).

You might need to reduce the melee strength for a Mortar unit, but this is just a balancing issue.

What's your opinion about replacing the Machine Gun with a Mortar unit, with an attack range of 2?
Right now I never upgrade my Field Cannons, because you lose that additiona attack range, which makes them pretty useless in my opinion. Now I did mod my Machine Guns to have an attack range of 2, but historically this feels a bit awkward. Firing with a Machine Gun behind your own lines would hit your own guys, so a Mortar unit would make much more sense in that regard. The mortars being the Longbowmen of their time.

You could maybe even add back in the Machine Gun as some sort of defensive support unit, where it e.g. gives +5 vs. ground attacks (and ranged? and air?). In Civ4 the Machine Gun was a purely defensive unit, unable to attack, which I think fits much better to that unit. It's perfect for securing your current location, but quite hard to make a meaningful offensive attack with (yeah, just carry that heavy and hot machine gun with your bare hands and storm against the enemy lines just like in the movies!).

You might need to reduce the melee strength for a Mortar unit, but this is just a balancing issue.

You can change range for Machine Gun like explained here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/can-we-increase-range-of-machine-gun-by-1.605012/

I got a strange bug though. I am playing Roman on a Elite Emperor game.
And Spain is attacking me with his Jinete units. Lots and lots of them. Took they time to arrive (our kingdoms are very far away) but I killed 2 and another 8 are on my territory. But that isnt the problem.
The thing is that when the Jinete attack they dont get any damage. Ever. So the only way to kill them is to attack them. Is it intended? (dont think as not describ like that but maybe.)

Although it doesn't look it from the animations, the Jinete unit is actually implemented as a ranged unit. I decided to do this way as historically the Jinetes were light skirmishers who threw javelins. I'd like to tweak the art if possible so you can see some projectiles coming from them to make this more clear.

Giving a UU Knight with additional movement (basically what is already the Knight's, and every cav's, strongest feature) the potential to attack twice, coupled with Scythia's cultural heal-on-kill ability, is just laughable levels of overpowered. A UU Knight with additional movement would already be outright fantastic, but the fact it's with Scythia and can attack twice? That's a timing push that no other Civ in the game is going to be able to counter if played by equally skilled players.

It's bad enough she can already zerg you down with light cav in the first 30 turns if you're unlucky enough to spawn next to her, but now you have to worry about a second inevitable medieval timing push from 5 movement double attacking self healing knights? That's just honestly way too much. This UU as is would be far too good on any Civ, but is just absolutely over the top with Scythia.

Agree that the Scythian Amazon Cavalry is way overpowered. What would you suggest to tone them down? Maybe I should go for a milder bonus like a flanking bonus or something?

Thanks for all the ideas people have been posting for new units. Bear in mind that at the moment we can only recombine elements from existing units and so the graphical possibilities for new units are quite limited. I could add more but just reusing the existing art for new units feels a bit lame.

Agree that the Scythian Amazon Cavalry is way overpowered. What would you suggest to tone them down? Maybe I should go for a milder bonus like a flanking bonus or something?

Knights and Scythia are already both so overpowered independently that it's hard to give them any sort of UU Knight without breaking it. What about changing the Knight's tone to be more in line with Scythia's nomadic, horse-bow theme? Simply give the UU Knight Range 1 instead of being a melee unit, nerf their melee strength a bit, and keep them at 4 movement. Something of a mounted crossbowman like unit.

You'd end up with something like:
Movement 4
Melee Strength 40
Ranged Strength 40
Attack Range 1
Promotion Class Heavy Cavalry
Production Cost 180
Purchase Cost 180
Technology Stirrups
Maintenance Cost 4
Upgrades From Heavy Chariot
Upgrades To Tank
Alternatively, if you want to keep them melee, they can't continue to attack twice. Even at 4 base movement that's still crazy for Scythia because they'll just smash into you twice and end up healing. I think the only option if you keep them melee is simply to let them have 5 movement and no other unique bonus, or more interestingly, turn them into a heavy calvary cossack-type unit with a small hit to their melee strength.

Something like:
Movement 4
Melee Strength 45
Promotion Class Heavy Cavalry
Production Cost 180
Purchase Cost 180
Technology Stirrups
Maintenance Cost 4
Upgrades From Heavy Chariot
Upgrades To Tank
Can move after they attack
Whatever you choose to do, it has to be a weaker UU because it's a UU replacement for one of the best (if not the best) units in the game on one of the most powerful Civs in the game. A flanking bonus would also be a simple option, but again, I think the 5 movement needs to be changed back to 4.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you, since you've created so many awesome units, but just the simple state of being a UU is powerful in itself. A UU Knight with no other abilities is still a Knight that doesn't require Iron. That already makes a Knight timing push easier to accomplish, so those Knights having any additional benefits starts to become a bit iffy. That's why I think any changes need to be pretty light as in my examples above.

Last edited:
I agree, that we need a better cruiser - it seem like a small boat compared with the battleship...
MG range 2 is a good point - following the line: slinger - archer - crossbow - field gun - MG we are loosing a 2 range unit and coming back to slinger ;-). Should go on with 2 and well, if Archers can shoot 2 then why not MG ;-) , not realistic but anyhow...

Hi there. I am making a Medmod for this game, and would love to be able to use your units, with your permission, of course.
One thing, though. I would like to use about half of the 19 unique units as vanilla units, too. Would it be too much trouble for you to make generic versions of these units for me? (Though I am sure other modders would like to use them as well.)
Finally, I would really like to see a dismounted knight unit (Man-at-Arms). You could take the Swordsman and give him the Knight's armor and shield.

Hi, and thank you for the units.
Could you imagine to make for EVERY vanilla unit, which NEEDS a strategic resource a unit which is the same, with a little bit weaker stats BUT where you don't need any strategic resources ...
that would solve the AI and City State problem, that they are unable to upgrade their units and so we have that AI sucks like hell problem :)
Would be fantastic !

Thanks for you hard, well done work

Hi there. I am making a Medmod for this game, and would love to be able to use your units, with your permission, of course.
One thing, though. I would like to use about half of the 19 unique units as vanilla units, too. Would it be too much trouble for you to make generic versions of these units for me? (Though I am sure other modders would like to use them as well.)

First, I'm totally happy for anything from Moar Units to reused and reworked in other mods.

Second, the short answer is "yes it's too much trouble for me to create generic versions of these" I'm afraid! I'm not sure what you mean exactly by creating generic versions but I assume you mean making different cultural variants of these.

To make a unit that is specific specific cultural elements more generic you can simply do the following in the Units_Moar.artdef:
For a specific UnitMember entry:
1) Under the "Cultures" collection make the single entry name "Any" (unless you want to go the effort of making specific entries for each culture)
2) In the Bins collections where you see culturally specific entries such as ""Hats/Spearman/NorthernEuropean/Spearman_European_HelmB" change them to be simply e.g. ""Hats/Spearman" and then the culturally-specific graphical variation for each Civ will be applied; India will get Mughal helments, Egypt will get North African helments etc.
3) Bear in mind that these units will already change skin tone depending on the civ.

Everything in Moar units was achieved just by editing XML so you really don't need to have too much understand of 3D graphics or be an artist or anything. You do need to understand the art defines structure which I have written a rough guide to here.

Finally, I would really like to see a dismounted knight unit (Man-at-Arms). You could take the Swordsman and give him the Knight's armor and shield.

I actually tried out giving the Swordsman the Knights helmet and shield. (Armors are not interchangable unfortunately as they are rigged to the different animations.) There were a couple of issues with it - the biggest one was that that the Swordsmans arm holding the sword above the head intersected with the plume of the Knights helment which looked weird. Also the shield wasn't very well attached to the shield arm. This combined with the fact that we can't retexture the shield at the moment discouragement from doing something like this but it's quite easy to do if you learn your way around Units.artdef.

You have a double entry for "PLUS_4_LONGBOWMAN_ADJACENCY_COMBAT_BONUS_DESC" in MOAR_Units_Text.

Thanks for spotting this. Will fix in the next update.

Any way you can add an Aztec unit? As good as the Aztecs are at making their units scale through luxuries, you literally can't make eagle warriors once you have swordsmen (unless there's a hidden option to build obsolete units somewhere). Perhaps the Atl-atl? essentially spear throwers. could replace spearmen or archers. Or jaguar warriors, perhaps scouts with boosted strength, or even a swordsman replacement (so that eagle warrior would upgrade to jaguar warrior. historically this makes no sense but i don't see why it wouldn't in-game). You could also approach it differently, war was a huge part of aztec culture and religion. you could create a sort of warrior priest, or a military unit that has some interaction with faith (perhaps killing a unit gives you faith equal to a percentage of their strength, to emulate ritual sacrifice).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_warfare
pretty interesting stuff.

do you have any intention of adding extra buildings too? because I'd A) love that and B) offer to help. I used to make my own mods in civ 3 and 4 where i'd add units and buildings that historically made sense (and were useful for more than 1 era). It was mostly simply stuff since I didn't have to tools to change art or edit any of the non-xml files.

Can you guys explain to me the third step in the installation process? I can't for the life of me figure out where the files I'm supposed to be overwriting are.

Thanks!

I think, that Rifleman and Infantry are to close - any idea how to get them on the tech tree a little bit separated?
And we would need a few units - like man at arms or militia the AI can build without strategic ressources. Because they are still not upgrading units.
I got attacked by Brazil and he had Rifleman and Field guns together with archer and warriors...

Can you guys explain to me the third step in the installation process? I can't for the life of me figure out where the files I'm supposed to be overwriting are.

Thanks!

This is only step 3...don't forget the rest.

1.Open the MOAR_Units_Mod_0.31 Folder, you will see 2 folders inside.

2.Open the MOAR_Units_Assets folder, inside that folder is one called 'Base'

3.Copy the Base folder.

4.Open your your install location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common, is most likely the location.

5.Find your Civilization 6 folder and paste.

That should be all you need to do. glwt

The artdefs got updated in todays Civ6 patch so there may be a problem with the mod right now - haven't tested though.

\Skodkim

Been meaning to ask : Spanish Conquistadores don't upgrade to Rifleman, is it intentional since with their special ability they'd be stronger than Riflemen by 1 point (65 vs 64)?

Top Bottom