NESLife VIII: The Next Generation

Fjordzord
Evolved from:
Flailzord
Genes Added: Water Retention x1, Aquatic Spores x1
(2x Tentacles, 1x Barbs, 1x Filter Feeding, 1x Aquatic Spores, 1x Water Retention)

Creeping, crawling, lurching, slurching. Oh god, what have they done?

The fjordzord is the world's first tidal swarm organism. As organisms with a more intentional feeding strategy outcompeted the thresher clouds, and oceanic biomass avoided them with swimming and floating, the one remaining area the flailzords could compete were the tidal shallows, where they rapidly adapted to these conditions.

As soon as the requisite amount of temperature and biomass is hit in a shallows (typically a tide pool or a warm shallow zone), Fjordzords rapidly germinate from spores and drag themselves onto the nearby land, slashing and dragging everything in the shallows, as thousands of crawling zords kill and then dessicate with the low tide. Defensive strategies hardly matter, as fjordzords kill with numbers and have a life cycle numbered in days. Reproduction occurs only with death, as the mushy bodies of the Fjordzords contain the spores for future generations, which are washed into the shallows at high tide, alongside the pulped plant and animal matter of tidal and coastal shallows organisms. This in turn provides a nutrient soup for the next generation's growth.

Although the spores die if the bodies wash too far ashore and dessicate, if immersed in water they can remain inactive for years awaiting ideal nutrient and temperature conditions.

@Thlayli, just to be aware there aren't other tidal-adapted animals, so the food source there is scavenging on plants, or things that have been stranded by the tide and died. 'Filter feeding' won't really work out of water but I can imagine food items being slowly dragged back into the shallows or tide pools to be eaten.

In NESLife 3 we had genes for 'Social Behaviour' and/or 'Pack Hunting' to get the kind of swarm behaviour you describe. Also without any real senses, it's hard for these creatures to purposefully stay together in a group.

I had been thinking of a 'suicidal reproduction' gene, or something like that, where the parent sacrifices its body in order to give offspring a better start. Perhaps that would fit better with your description than spores.

The Fjordzord would work without any changes however!

@Daftpanzer - Apart from washed up corpses (which wouldn't be insubstantial) and plant-matter wouldn't slugglers, lochoreg, dribblers and so forth live in the shallows... or even in rockpools that are constantly filled with the tide? Obviously these creatures could not survive outside of the water and skirt the shoreline like the Fjordzord but nothing in their traits suggests that they are limited to deeper waters. At any rate the main pressure facing Flailzords is the Tentaflail outcompeting them, with the traits Thlayli has bestowed on the Fjordzord here they would have an advantage in the niche he describes (a tentaflail could not survive in a rockpool for long due to food-source limitations, whereas Fjordzords can persist as spores until ideal conditions arise for them to mangle whatever happens to be around into particles for "filter feeding").

Nota Bene: Rather than being social behaviour its more like a boom bust cycle of rapid proliferation followed by die off imo.

Last edited:
Correct Daft, I believe my description stated that all the feeding occurs in the water, and I do indeed see them as mostly eating plants, corpses, and the unlucky. There is zero intentionality to the fjordzords clustering behavior, they just all happen to release their spores in a very confined geographic area. Each individual organism flails whatever it can. Since each feeding cycle is for the next generation, they can even flail each other as long as enough biomass is present to feed the next cycle of spore growth. I agree that it works as designed especially because there are no other tidally adapted animals. (I’m definitely aware of the awkwardness of the adaptation but creating unique and viable life within the restriction of 2 genes per turn is part of the challenge of this game IMO)

Edit: I think it’s key to contextualize this evolution in the ecosystem of a large intertidal zone, where juvenile creatures are being washed up, (their nymph stages probably have them seek out shallow water) have a brief orgy of flailing and searching for food in tide pools and shallows, and then die to be carried back out to sea by the next cycle of waves. Maybe a “bloom” is a better description than a swarm…

Last edited:
Mandreg
Evolved From:
Lochoreg
Genes Added: 1x Sexual Reproduction, 1x Cold Resistance
Description: Mandregs only slightly amend the highly successful lochoreg traits that have led the species to historic successes. Sexually reproducing creatures, mandregs mate with their neighbors immediately after feeding, and their resulting offspring "peel" away in buds, gradually developing more autonomy before entirely detaching (looking rather like little wormy hands whose fingers pop off). As the only multicellular scavenger which could tolerate chillier waters, along with rapid reproduction, the mandreg was well-adapted for the world into which it emerged.
[Genes: 1x Burrowing, 1x Scavenging, 1x Sexual Reproduction, 1x Cold Resistance]

Snifahol
Evolved from:
Dribbler
Genes Added: Freshwater Tolerance, Scent Detection
Genes Removed:
Description:
Struggling ancestors of the Snifahol developed adaptations to survive up rivers in water less salty, and less hostile. There they found feasting opportunities of both the local plant life and the remains of creatures that had been trapped by tidal currents out of their survival range. A series of cells developed from one "end" to the other running along the top of the creature. While useful for finding concentrations of food, a major feature of these cells was to detect the increasing or decreasing salinity of tidal flows. This would allow the creature to avoid influxes of ocean predators during high tides, and returning to find fresh food provided during low tides.

Genes: 1x External Digestion, 1x Crawling, 1x Freshwater Tolerance, 1x Scent Detection

Corsus
Evolved from:
Moldus
Genes Added: Hyphae, Water Retention
Genes Removed:
Description:

The corsus begin forming larger and more efficient clusters of hyphae that, using their own growth, burrow into the ground, corpses, or anything else that may provide sustenance. Most notably, they begin forming larger bundles or nodes which can help them hold onto water, letting them colonize tidal flats and venture onto wetter land based biomes. There, their cooperative multicellular strategy gives them an advantage over decomposition microbes. Longer lived corsus colonies form interconnected nodes under the surface, with threads searching for new food sources. In the correct conditions, the threads withdraw and form a fruiting body as before.

Note: The Corsus co-evolved with the Fjordzord and the Galgatron. With the Fjordzord they form safe colonies/bulbs under the sand between tides, emerging to feast on corpses and death. Any Corsus that gets attacked doing so help spread their spores, and larger hyphae chunks can continue growing after they land. Meanwhile, Crosus help concentrate nutrients, making it more efficient for Fjordzord generations. For the Galgatron, the Corsus feast on uncontested corpses with their hyphae, and may also form symbiotic relationships with Galgatron roots where the Galgatron help them deal with salt/fresh water in exchange for the Corsus helping their roots draw nutrients from the nascent soil.

Genes: 2x Hyphae, 1x Aquatic Spores, 1x Water Retention

EDIT: for Bonuses, maybe you can have it where when you post that you are starting an update, in the discord you put down each player's name that put in an evolution and people can vote on there using :thumbsup: or other reactions.

Last edited:
Bit too long on the description and kinda crappy. I'm tired. Should be understandable. Feel free to cut down!

Flapmellester - Angst

Evolved from: Lamellester (Era 4)

Genes: 4x Filter Feeding, 1x Buoyancy, 1x Poison, 1x Gills, 1x Scent Detection, 1x Swimming, 1x Breeding Chamber (?) (Genes added: Swimming, Breeding Chamber (?)

Description: After adapting scent, through selection pressure, the Lamellester evolves the ability to contract and stretch itself more capably than previous species in its family. This means that it became able to "flap", effecitvely swimming, moving itself automatically towards areas where it detects more things to eat, often against slow currents (it could finally "move" horizontally on its own). In addition, this motion allows the Flapmellester to "paddle" through water where there's enough nutrients for this to give more energy than it expends. Furthermore, just spraying out pieces from itself over time as a means of reproduction was uncertain and reasonably inefficient. With the ability to acquire more nutrients through actively moving into it, it evolves a chamber inside itself where its spawn would live for a long time in a mush of nutrients. Once every summer, it would then open this chamber, releasing thousands upon thousands of infant Flapmellesters into the sea (sometimes this release would be pushed forward if there were more surrounding nutrients in the water). During this "sprout", these many infants released in Flapmellester swarms can make the water seem grimy and brown, allowing a number of species to predate on the young, as having been the case before, but now being a consistent release of spawn. However, the infants released during a sprout are a good degree larger than the piecemeal birth prior to this era, meaning that predators now need to fill a certain size requirement to feed on the now larger Flapmellester infants.

Last edited:
Rask watched the perpetual twilight through the sealed biodome. An energetic field repelled all unauthorized outside contact, reducing anything that got too close after ignoring the first repulsion into a fine cloud of ash, a fine way of keeping a totally sterile barrier between his office/workshop/lab/home and the outside. Days passed by in a faster speed than was perceivable, leaving a golden glowing band of sunlight, almost but not entirely blotting out rings or starlight, expanding concentrically away from the north. The moon formed a nigh-invisible pale blur.

Hmm, how fast were days passing by, actually? Rask checked the timefield mainframe. At a time compression coefficient of 2.5 billion, approximately fifty million years could pass in a week. 83 years passed every second. A single blink would see a decade go by. So to see a single day, he'd need to see a flicker from darkness to light and back that happened.. thirty thousand, one hundred and ninety six times per second. A frequency comfortably over 30 kHz.

On a whim, he looked up exactly how sensitive the typical vertebrate eye was to flickering light. 0.05 kHz. Interesting. The penguin looked back up at the roof of his biodome with renewed appreciation, watching the warm haze of the time-compressed sky pass him by.

Outside, a river was rapidly eating its way through the gravelly ground towards the biodome. Rask watched as it did, and for a few seconds the dome hovered over the river, before it meandered beyond and the bare land returned. The dome was held in place by a series of spatiotemporal anchors placed in the surrounding landscape, rather than with a conventional foundation. For the most part, this system worked well, although Rask had to make a semi-regular habit of adjusting the dome's coordinates so that it never slipped entirely below the ground.

The Penguinskan scientist had already logged the first few eras of life on Fanatica. Doing so was always a delight of exploration- he would disable the time compressor, put on his bio-sealed suit, and then depart in a real-time adventure. The rivers were filled with a thick scum of photosynthesis, the oceans were packed with jelly-like blobs, and even the depths of the sea floor were filled with strange, tentacular things, if you knew where to dig. He would document everything he found, collect samples, and then return to the dome to fast-forward some more, before returning to the outside to regard the changes.

Today, it was a quiet day, for waiting. His autosequencers cheerily clicked and hummed as they processed the genetic codes of the latest batch of tissue samples he'd collected. Rask flipped through his partially-completed work, On the Biosphere of Fanatica, a work that he knew would be badly out of date long before he finished it. It was really written for himself, more than anyone else. He pondered his latest phylogeny for the young world, before putting it away for another day.

It was a good life. A little lonely though.

If any polar bears, otters, giant space hamsters, agents of NAO, pandas, villainous peppers or other extradimensional members of the multiversal community wish to join the research team in the Fanatica biodome, consider yourselves welcomed to set up shop!

A small convention was gathered in a medium-sized orbital station, resembling nothing so much as a glassy marble, its interior a green swirl of gardens stretching hither and thither with no particular regard for gravity.

Rask stood on a small platform, a smallish penguin who asserted his individuality with laboratory goggles (entirely decorative) and a clipboard (not entirely decorative, but not actually a clipboard).

"And so I present my proposal for the relationships of the basal organisms of the major Fanatican phyla." Rask tapped his clipboard and a projection of a phylogeny appeared before him.

Two beings were gathered in the 'room' with him. A cosmic otter appraised the diagram for a moment, rubbing an abalone shell against the rock on his chest. A supremely well-dressed hog snuffled quietly, his nose in a trough, sneaking occasional glances up at the presentation.

"Interesting that you'd put the ancestor of Tentaflails and such as being closer to the Algaetron than the Blobster." observed the otter.

"Ah yes, a bit of an unorthodox take on my end, I'll grant!" Rask grinned (as well as one may with a beak). "The animal behaviours of the Zords do suggest a kinship with Blobsters, Dribblers and Lochoregs. But their nutrient-absorbing tentacles, their distinct growth patterns, the fact that both lineages have spore-based reproduction... in the face of ambiguous sequencing data, is it not most parsimonious to regard the Moldus as a type of sessile Crawlzord?"

The otter nodded in interest. "A striking hypothesis... but what about the Crawlzord and Blobster? Both, after all, filter feed."

"Yes, but there are many convergent mechanisms that could lead to this- Zords filter feed with their tentacles, exposing them to the open water, while Blobster filter feeding is entirely internal, generating a current of water over its internal surfaces, seen most clearly and strikingly in the Tubester!"

"You've got the Lochoreg in an interesting spot there." the capitalist swine interjected, lighting a cigar with a burning dollar bill.

"Well, I suppose I should go through the rest of my reasoning! The Lochoreg's external means of feeding upon scavenged material bears a striking resemblance to the external digestion of the Dribbler, and their musculature and methods of movement operate on fundamentally similar principles. My hypothesis is that Lochoregs diverged from Dribblers very soon after the divergence of Dribblers and Blobsters."

"And then simply... remained totally undetected by all surveys for tens of millions of years prior to their emergence?" The pig gave a dubious snort and polished his monocle. Rask mumbled something about incomplete surveying methods.

"He's got a good point there," noted the otter, licking the remaining abalone from his paws before discarding the shell into a small bin. "Mind if I present mine?"

"Oh, go right ahead!" Rask hopped off the stage and waddled back to his own seat, pulling a herring from the satchel he'd left there. The otter took the stage, pulling out a telescoping pointer stick from his forearm pouch.

"In many ways, similar to the hypothesis of my spheniscid counterpart, as it would have it. However... at present, I have placed the Crawlzord and its descendants in a less... heterodox... location."

"But think of how awesome it would be if they were from an entirely different branch of the tree of life!" Rask interrupted, mouth full.

"I'm not saying it wouldn't be awesome, but we're interstellar animals of science. The number of changes that would need to happen to make Zords and Moldii sister clades is huge, one is a fungus-analogue sessile decomposer, the other one is an active hunter/scavenger/filter feeder with a full muscular system. It is so much more likely that the Crawlzord's affinities lie with the other animal-like life, although its oddities suggest that it might be an outgroup to all others."

"But it would be so cool."

"Coolness is subjective! Save that for the book club!"

The pig snorted and put on his stovepipe hat. "You're both going about this the wrong way. He trotted up to the stage and put up his own diagram."

"You're fumbling about with parsimonies and trying to decipher derived traits. Let's present the facts. When we started monitoring Fanatica, we classified three major organisms: Dribbler, Blobster and Algaetron. The Algaetron's the obvious outgroup to this, making the Blobster and Dribbler sister clades. There was also, throughout this time, 'Primitive Life'. The Crawlzord was the first organism to subsequently arise from 'Primitive Life', subsequently followed by the Moldus and Lochoreg. Quod. Erat. Demonstrandum." The capitalist swine picked up a microphone from the floor, held it up, and dropped it, before returning to his trough.

"That is..." began Rask, "That is a tremendously literal reading of the collected data."

"Isn't primitive life implicitly more than one type of organism?" the otter asked, quietly.

"Well we'll get nowhere with this impasse. All of our autosequencers are coming out with ambiguous results, I've got my factual reading of the available info, the bird won't let go of his pet hypothesis about the Molduzord, and fuzzy over here just put all of the moving things on one side and the non-moving things on the other. I say we call upon the stationmaster."

"The stationmaster? But... well isn't that kind of cheating?"

"He's the one who brought us here. As I see it, there's no sense in keeping on plugging away at an erroneous model when you could start off on a solid foundation and move from there. What say you, gentlebeasts?"

Rask and the otter pondered this for a moment, before curiosity got the better of both of them. "Yes," they spoke together, "Let's do it."

Somewhere in the distance, a gong-like noise rang out. The debaters stood frozen as faint choral voices began to chant in some long-dead language. The lights seemed to dim as the stationmaster drew nigh. The being rolled toward the trio in a massive ball-like conveyance. Its eyes gleamed with the depths of galaxies. Its cheeks were puffed out with what Rask suspected were hyperseeds, or at least some sort of higher-dimensional nut.

"O great Space Hamster, wise, ancient and gigantic." began the otter.

"We've come in search of answers to questions none of us can answer." continued Rask.

"So what's the connection between the most basal lifeforms on Fanatica?" The dapper hog straightened his lapels as he completed the query.

The Giant Space Hamster looked at their proposals with glittering, starry eyes. After a moment, it spoke in a deep, echoing voice that resonated directly into the minds of everyone around it.

"Hahah, all wrong. Algaetrons are the outgroup to everything, Moldii are an outgroup to everything motile. Otter's got the animals right though."

His judgement rendered, the Giant Space Stationmaster Hamster rolled backwards into another dimension, space and time folding nauseatingly around him until there was nothing left. The pig, penguin and otter reeled from the psychic assault that went hand in hand with talking to a higher-dimensional being.

"Well, that would seem to be that." spoke the pig, straightening his tuxedo. "Back to work everyone, you can fix up your data from that."

The otter nodded. "Yes, that seems reasonable enough. Need me to pick you up anything from the seafood freezer?"

Rask shook his head. "No, thanks, I'm good."

The others departed, and Rask paused a moment to consider the recent revelations of the Cosmic Cricetine.

"I still think that the Molduzord theory is mega-cool."

Update 4 - The Galgatrosian Epoch

This epoch is named after the Galgatron, the first true freshwater plant, that flourished at this time and left behind some immaculate fossil traces from sediments laid down in sheltered inland lakes and riverbeds, where no scavengers could yet disturb them. Observers at this time would see the first hints of something resembling plants reaching up out of the waters.

The climate warmed throughout this era, as there was a buildup of methane from volcanic sources as well as from the new swampy ecosystems that were forming far inland - this helped to counteract the ongoing loss of carbon from the atmosphere. At the same time, there was a diversification of scavenging animals and a recycling of nutrients and carbon. Although not returning to the previous norms, there was now less pressure on the tropical biomes. Nonetheless, this epoch is notable for the first notable round of significant extinctions in the fossil record, as the last survivors of several sub-groups finally flickered out.

Cold-adapted fife continued to flourish from the subtropics to the poles, where there were particular blooms of life during the long days of polar summers, followed by epic migrations and die-offs during the long dark nights. A few broken ice caps remained in the southern hemisphere, helping to nourish the freshwater systems there.

The aforementioned Galgatron was a divergence from cold-adapted plant-like forms of the previous era, and continued to flourish in brackish, mixed waters amidst estuaries and tidal lagoons. Galgatron set itself apart by being able to grow directly in freshwater rivers and lakes. Still without any means of propagating itself beyond budding off and growing outwards in its immediate surroundings, it nonetheless seems to have gradually spread inland and upstream as a result of occasional storms and floods. Galgatron was also adapted to survive for short spells out of water, and could thus tolerate fluctuating water levels, which seems to have been a key to its success. Indeed, with nothing to eat away at the Galgatron growths now far inland, they tended to build up along riverbanks and lakebeds to form vast swampy biomes, rich with microbial life.

These plants set the stage for the appearance of Snifahol, the first animal adapted to tolerate a degree of fresh water. As a slithering bottom-dwelling scavenger, vulnerable to passing predators, Snifahol would have had the relative sanctuary of estuaries and lagoons which other animals could only venture for short periods, and where it could slowly eat away at accumulated plant material. As another key advantage, it seems Snifahol also had the ability to detect scents in the water - an adaptation previously seen only in the Bigster family - which was particularly helpful in murky waters, and would help it save energy by moving directly towards food, and perhaps away from danger.

Meanwhile, there are signs of further spread of complex life along marine shorelines of the tropics and the vast tidal flats that often surrounded the landmasses. The versatile Fjordzord is the first animal genus known to have been specially adapted for surviving short spells out of water, and once fully-grown are likely to have lived all of their short lives in the tidal zone. Although their soft fleshy bodies would not be able to survive in direct sunlight for very long, they were perhaps able to slowly crawl between tidepools and sand banks, feasting on the bounty of trapped plants and animals regularly brought in by the tides. In an example of convergent evolution, they show the same pattern of mass reproduction via tiny spore-like offspring as seen in other members of the Crawlzord clade, likely released at high tide back into the sea.

Almost unnoticed among the fossils of Fjordzord and the mixed-up remains of various sea plants and animals is the Corsus. Although to this day the fossils are faint and ambiguous, the general consensus is that this represents an evolution of the fungus-like Moldus, and seems to have been adapted to life in the tidal zone and coastal marshes, with stronger and less delicate hyphae-like growths. Corsus would have been able to recycle nutrients from otherwise-stagnant saltwater lagoons and marshes, and likely had a mutualistic relationship with coastal plant life, further aiding the evolution of species in these biomes.

Another Crawlzorid, a distant cousin to the Fjordzord, made an appearance during this era - Horgazorg built on the versatility of its ancestors which had evolved a form of symbiosis with photosynthesising bacteria, and an ability to swim above the seafloor for short periods, as well as a tendency to congregate in groups. Now they became the first branch of the Crawlzords to be equipped with something resembling a jaw, with various sharp biting mouth-parts in place of the tentacle-mounted barbs seen in their relatives - but in another example of convergent evolution, they also evolved an internal stomach that was almost identical to that seen in the Flailzord lineage. Horgazorg was a versatile genus with a varied toolkit for obtaining nourishment - from near-sessile filter-feeder, to blind ambush predator, to scavenger - though far from dominant in any single approach, it seems to have had a large population all across the tropics, and clustered groups of these creatures regularly show up in the fossil record.

Although the climate was gradually warming during this era, still more species were adapting to cooler climates, if only to take advantage of the lack of competition found there. Most prominent of these is the Falgophage, part of the successful Xerophage family - free-swimming animals equipped with basic eyesight, biting jaws, and a primitive stomach able to digest a variety of food. Unlike its relatives, Falgophage was able to feast on the vast growths of marine Falgatron in cooler waters that had previously been out of reach of herbivores. Falgophage also added a further breakthrough, as it evolved to lay eggs as a means of reproduction, rather than an inefficient and sometimes-dangerous budding process. These eggs were larger and fewer in number than the ‘spores’ seen in other animal forms, but could be laid in areas with food and shelter for the emerging larvae, to great success.

Perhaps using polar Falgatron growths for breeding grounds, Falgophage seems to have roamed all across the oceans following currents and seasonal winds, being an opportunistic predator as well as mass-devourer of plant growths, and entering tropical waters to compete with animals there, although many would fall prey to their relatives the Harpazo in particular. Still, in terms of numbers and living biomass at any one time, the Falgophage genus was perhaps now only rivalled among animals by its relative, the filter-feeding Coolster, which continued to thrive in vast numbers in polar regions.

More humble than these was the Mandreg, diverging from the Lochoreg - small wormlike scavengers that burrowed through the seafloor. Mandreg became the first scavenger able to tolerate cold water, and gradually spread all across the southern polar regions, where it was isolated for now. Mandreg may also have played a role in warming the climate as it distrubed polar coastal sediments and dug through accumulated plant remains which had lain dormant for some time. Mandreg also seems to have had an unusual reproductive process, with budding offspring remaining attached to their parent until they were rather large and well developed, acting somewhat like extra limbs, before detaching to face life on their own.

While the Falgophage was making an appearance, the Falgotron also began to face predation from its own relative in tidal biomes - the Kleptotron was a branch of Falgotron that evolved to steal nourishment from its neighbours, using invasive parasitic tendrils. Kleptotrons also had an important development in the form of internal tubes - vascular tissue - that both offered structural support, and allowed nutrients to passively filter throughout the organism. Kleptotrons could thus grow up and above the Falgotron and other plant growths, smothering them in the process. This naturally led to a boom-and-bust cycle - where Kleptotrons killed off the local plant competition, they would not always be competitive as primary producers, and other species would gradually reappear, before the cycle repeated. Kleptotrons nonetheless helped with cycling nutrients, encouraging diversity of species, and equally provided food and shelter for animals like the Falgophage where their range overlapped.

Developments from the Bigster clade round out the evolutions from this era. Flapmellester was a further evolution of the already-big and relatively-complex Lamellester. Unlike all its relatives, Flapmellester had the ability to actively swim against the current, and towards faint chemical scents indicating concentrations of plankton. Remarkably, it also seems to have had a form of ‘live birth’, in the form of an internalised chamber filled with nourishing fluid. Instead of its offspring randomly budding and breaking off from the underside of the creature, it seems they would now ‘bud’ interentally into this brooding chamber, where the offspring could mature in safety. When a suitable plankton swarm was encountered, the youngsters could then be released to feed on their own, and repeat the cycle.

It was a strategy that put more metabolic costs on the ‘parent’, but gave the offspring a head start and allowed the Flapmellesters to gain a bigger market share of plankton blooms, which they could devour very efficiently - while the sheer size and mild poison of their skin made them almost immune to predation. Still, although very successful, they were not able to monopolise the plankton food chain in the same way that Coolsters did in polar waters, due in part to slower growth rates and the sheer number of sessile and non-sessile competitors now found in the tropics.

Finally, the Treester is notable for its mode of reproduction, seemingly originating from a degenerate budding process. Although closely related to Flapmellesters, appearances would suggest otherwise. Treesters were now largely sessile, growing attached to the seafloor. They were essentially a series of interlinked disc-shaped individuals, growing as a colony in a sequence, one on top of the other, eventually forming a stacked ‘tree’ of poisonous filter-feeding tissue. If distrubed, the individual parts could detach and function much like their ancestral Biggersters, perhaps to re-attach themselves to the seafloor to repeat the process. Treesters seem to have been moderately successful, and together with their relatives the Tubesters, and entangled plant growths, began to form something resembling reefs in some of the shallow tropical biomes with reliable amounts of plankton and nutrients.

Species List + Stats

Notes:

I’m not sure ‘Sexual Reproduction’ fits as a ‘gene’, as it’s a complex area and I’d quite like to leave it ambiguous. I think egg laying, or reproducing via spores, tends to imply some form of sexual reproduction or hermaphrodism. Although there is parthogenesis in lizards so… yeah :)

For this reason, I changed the Mandreg to have ‘egg laying’. If this is not suitable @North King, I’ll be happy to retcon this in the update.

This update was a bit rushed, I may have skimmed over some things in species description, if so I will retcon later this week. Also I still haven’t decided on a ‘bonus’ system, will think a bit more about that, but please do continue to let me know your thoughts, either here or on discord.

My evolution: inspired by AN FOOTBALLS

Dodecaster - Daftpanzer
Evolved from: Blobster (Era 5)
Genes added: 1x Exoskeleton, 1x Filter Feeding
Description:
the ancestral Blobster lineage had not stood still over the past few million years, continuing to change in subtle ways. A radical new evolution appeared at this time, featuring flat, polygonal hardened plates arranged around it’s exterior in a seemingly oddly inorganic, geometric pattern - various different shapes and configurations existing throughout this genus. Though not invincible, these armour plates provided decent protection against predators and parasites of the era. In grooves and hollows behind these plates, open at the joints, are now to be found multiple feeding channels, lined with more powerful cillia to drag in plankton and trap the food particles for digestion. With extra weight, the Dodecasters have less ability to maintain their buoyancy and desired depth, though they now have some protection if either falling to the seafloor or washed up on shore for short periods.

Last edited:
Horgazorgavorga
Evolved from: Horgazorg
Genes added: 1x Cold resistance, 1x heat resistance
The Horgazorgavorga isn't super different from it's ancestors, simply expanding the band of tolerance, allowing for more areas to feed and reproduce in.

Halgatrone
Evolved from:
Galgatron
Genes Added: Water Retention, Airborn spores
Description: As time passed, Galgatrons started grow less reliant on remaining near or in bodies of water, and by the end of the era the Halgatrone had quickly spread to all but the most inhospitable areas inland. The key seems to be that it developed the ability to survive drying out for brief periods of time by sacrificing unnecessary portions of its self to reduce consumption. A small reduction in the amount of water it had access to would quickly lead to its outer surface crumbling into a fine dust that was soon blown away, even in the gentlest of a breeze. While a total lack would see the entire colony crumbling down to its roots.
While initially this seems like a major problem, this was in fact the source of its success, for most of the "dust" was still alive when it was blown away, and would continue to be so for weeks afterwords. waiting for it to encounter anybody water or moist earth before returning to activity. spreading greenery after every rainstorm across the plains and hills, before slowly fading away into great clouds of dust.

This was also perhaps the first time a "Green storm" occurred upon the planet, though this is only theorized as there are no way a physical record of such an event could be recorded. Halgatron spores sprouting inside of clouds and giving them a faint green tint, though it would not be until the Jagatron line that such events became common to the world.

OOC: Plant can survive with less water and farther away from bodies of water, but not everywhere. In dry conditions, it crumbles into a fine dust of individual cells which then spread everywhere on the wind. if they land anywhere there is enough water to grow again, they do so. First step in creating air-born plankton. Two more to go.

OOC: Excellent update daft! Although my original intention was to evolve the Fjordzord directly from the Flailzord and have it be a filter feeding, eyeless being to lower its energy requirements, I think that having it as a Tentaflail evolution is totally fine...and the picture of it is so cute, I'd hardly want to ask for a retcon. With that said, my next evolution was originally intended to be a Tentaflail evolution, but with the Fjordzord lineage now having aquatic spores, it is more beneficial for me to evolve it directly from them...

Flentatail
Evolved From:
Fjordzord / (Tentaflail?)
Genes Added: Swimming x1, Vascularization x1 ('Gills')
Genes Removed: Water Retention

Gotta go fast...er. The Flentatail is built for increased speed, responding to selective pressures from the other Zord lines to effectively compete as a free swimming oceanic apex predator. The rear motile tentacles are elongated, and effectively push the organism upwards and forwards through the water with squid-like action.

In order to satisfy the requirements of more muscular, longer propulsion tentacles, a series of long, thin slits in the rear motile tentacles (or flentae) open and close with the pressure of each stroke of the tentacles. The flentae admit and expel water into and from the hollow center of the tentacle, where gas exchange occurs directly with the muscle cells. The increased availability of oxygen allows the Flentatails to become larger, more energetic predators, targeting the Biggerster/Floater lineage as well as the Horgazorg lineage, while also flaying immature sea plants in times of need. The corpses of large underwater beasts slain by the Flentatails should help revive the struggling seafloor scavenger economy, where Flailzords and Tentaflails continue to strive with Vorzords and the like.

Sorry about that Thlayli, totally mis-read. I'm happy to retcon if you change your mind!

Scraper - Angst

Evolved from: Dissolver

Genes: 1x Stomach, 1x Flesh Eating, 1x Buoyancy, 1x Swimming, 1x Vision, 1x Teeth, 1x Poison Resistance
(Added: 1x Teeth, 1x Poison Resistance)

Notes: Perhaps only a niche species, the Scraper is a small species that specifically adapted to feed off the large and otherwise unutilized Flapmellester and their birthing clouds. Otherwise a reasonably capable predator like the Dissolver, the Scraper has evolved poison resistance to negate the poison in Flapmellester and Lamellester giants, and hardened body parts in the form of primitive teeth to be able to scrape off tissue so they can swallow it and dissolve it in its stomach. The Scraper often lives in plankton the giants feed on, swimming to the giants when encountered, and then start eating off the packs of giants that are in the seas. This unutilized niche of being able to counteract poison and scrape off tissue with teeth makes the Scraper succesful as long as the Flapmellester and Lammester species are, since they're the only real predator that can eat this species. Furthermore, Treesters and other slow or nonmoving species may have problems not being thoroughly consumed by swarms of Scrapers, now I think about it, since they can just grind off tissue and eat it for days. I'm unsure whether they'll just "nibble" on the giants and nonmoving species, or whethery thoroughly consume packs of them over time like an "infection" if that makes sense. This is up to you.

Last edited:
Thoraxenia - Lord_Iggy
Evolved from: Slugster (Era 5)
Genes added: 1x Symbiosis (Auxiliary Stomachs), 1x Scent Detection
Description:
Faced with ever-increasing predation, the Slugsters which survived best were those which had some ability to resist predation. Thoraxenia is descended from one group of Slugsters which developed an intimate partnership with their distant armoured cousins, the Clingers. Their skin features small divots allowing for an easy grip by Clingers, while further infoldings of its stomach create nutrient-rich pouches throughout its body to encourage and maintain protective colonies of Clingers. Thoraxenia also have feathery antennae flanking their rasping tongue, giving them the ability to detect food and edible detritus far better than many of their benthic neighbours, with whom they share the seabed.

Lancer - Jehoshua

Evolved From: Harpazo (1x Stomach, 1x Flesh Eating, 1x Filter Feeding, 1x Buoyancy, 1x Swimming, 1x Vision, 1x Harpoon, 1x Gills )
Genes Added: External Digestion, Poison Resistance
Genes Removed: None

Description: The Lancer genus has refined the harpoon of its predecessors into a primary weapon for feeding upon soft-bodied prey particularly the large floating filter-feeders of the period and slow moving zords and slugsters. The Lancers straw-like rostra are used to pierce their targets before the creature injects its victim with potent digestive liquids and proceeds to drain them dry of the resulting liquefied matter. Resistant to poison, the Lammelesters and Flapellesters have no defense against them and oft packs of Lancers will glut themselves on these oceanic titans. Other species focus their attentions on zords, slugsters or related species of the swimster lineage much like their Harpazo brethren.

-

ooc: time to purge the seas of poison blobs :lol: , anyways think of the lancer as something like an aquatic assassin bug

ooc 2: Left filter feeding in to represent the modus vivendi of the juvenile life-phase. Granted they may prey on young Flapellesters and other such smaller quarry.

Last edited:
Interesting, we now have two species jumping on the giant eating train! I wonder which will be more succesful.

Top Bottom