New NESes, ideas, development, etc

@LDiCesare: Thanks for this. I was going for a map that resembled those that came between the middle ages and the renaissance (hence the coastal rings). Removing them, it is hard to separate the land from the ocean in terms of coloration.

@Northen Wolf: I tinkered around with it, and it looked a bit strange - because the map is geared towards looking old and Tolkien-esque.

I'll keep playing around, though, to make the ocean look a bit better. The actual coast land, when removing the rings, is not as rigid as it looks with the rings.

Also, what's the scale of this continent? With a few mountains, this looks like a very small area.

Exactly! It is indeed a tiny area of the overall map. :) Players will discover more with magical spells and scouts.

As usual, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

If you tinge the whole thing slightly yellow, it would look used and worn.

So how are we going to manage cities behind those mountains: I tried to run a paper NES before and the worst offense is when the hide armies and towns behind my mountains. EDIT: Not to say they are bad.

You can probably just stick it near the side or have it half-covered.

Personally I think the map looks just perfect, with maybe some minor work to do on the seas but nothing that would actually detract from any gameplay experience. Try, rather than removing the rings, spacing them out slightly more and thinning them. That might help reduce the slight overcrowded feeling. Also in smaller lakes I would suggest maybe removing them altogether or only including one or two. The map definitely captures the essence of Tolkien. I would also suggest the map is tinged enough, as you'll notice the forests are distinctly green reminiscent more of coniferous forests than deciduous, in my opinion, though I have no idea whether that is actually deliberate, or just to distinguish it better from the yellower green of the grasslands. The overall colour of the map is a sort of ivory colour (I actually had to go and search shades of off-white to find the right colour and I don't think ivory quite is). More tinting would potentially not work with the individual colours of each biome and would remove some of the subtlety and Tolkien-esque feel from the map.

On the strategic and tactical use of mountains in warfare. Well that is a problem for us players not the world designer. As long as the mountains will not cripple our ability to expand in the early game, unless this is much like EQ's current Fallout NES where traditional blobbing is banned from the game, I see no problems with them. Also there are clear paths round the mountains to the east or west, either through the foothills or the forests. If this NES ever actually appears, I would be very tempted to start in those forests or the foothills and thin strip of flat land along the coast to the east.:mischief:

I do admit a sense of scale would be nice though. Since it feels like it is a very small area.

Here you all go. Please tell me if you prefer this latest version over the last one (has it improved?).

Spoiler :

To answer some questions about scale. When this NES begins, the area you see will be shared by two players (not literally, but in terms of the amount of space revealed at the beginning). So if we have 10 players, this beginning area will be multiplied by 5, and starting locations will be first-come, first-serve. Each player will essentially be a sorcerer, and have a "seeing eye" - so anything one player explores, the others will all see simultaneously.

I know this doesn't answer specific scale questions - so on the final map I will actually have a scale embedded. That will be important, because units will have to move according to the scale.

The "Settlements" and the roads in the above map are examples only. I just wanted to show you all what it might look like. Still working on fonts. I like the simple italic Times New Roman for the mountains and rivers, but the settlement font might change. Also, unexplored settlements/castles/points of interest will be shown by a single dot. It will be up to the player to explore that dotted location to reveal what it is, and whether or not it can be annexed by the player, further explored, or whatever.

Some great suggestions... keep giving them. Most importantly, let me know if you like the current version better than the first version I posted, and why/why not.

I take it back additional tinging works fine. The seas look much better. Also on the scale front, a brief foray into GIMP has revealed the overall map is 2000x2000 pixels and the narrowest part of the peninsula is roughly 150 pixels across. So that's almost 7.5% ish of the overall length or breadth of the map and 3.75% when compared to the overall area. Depending on the scale that will most likely be a rather significant distance, though I am not Starlife and thus have no actual clue.

Anyone have ideas for a Nuclear Weapon research chain? This is assuming that in this world that the ultimate goal isn't to make a bomb to end a war, but to explore the possibilities of a new technology.

So far, I have (not in this order, mind you.)

Low Yield Nuclear Weaponry
High Yield Nuclear Weaponry
Pure Fission

...more ideas are going to be greatly appreciated.

Font's a little weird, but I've always been a big fan of bare-bones font over aesthetics in that one area, so others will definitely disagree. :)

Thank you, Vertinari118. It is a sizable bit of the map, but there is much to explore. Exploration will happen slowly. I am not going for quantity of settlements obtained through this NES. It will more be about what you discover and how you use what you discover and how you form and build your kingdom. Aside from the "fresh start" aspect, there will also be a storyline to develop, treasures to find, and so on.

I am thinking that 100 pixels = 100 miles. So 1 pixel is 1 mile. Then this continent will basically be the same size as Europe from France to Poland. I could double the size, but I don't think that is necessary.

Someone also mentioned something about coniferous and deciduous forests - visually on the map, they will look different and you will be able to distinguish them.

That was me commenting on the colour scheme of the forests on the map at the moment. Though ignore it the symbols would provide more than enough distinction between the two types of forest. I think the scale should be fine.

As I always say, you people have terrible font choices.

Then so did Tolkien. The font is directly from his first hand-drawn map.

And I said:
Still working on fonts. I like the simple italic Times New Roman for the mountains and rivers, but the settlement font might change.

Just because Awesome McCooldude used or made it doesn't change the fact that it is a terrible choice.

Oh, for sure. I'm not disagreeing with you at all. It's just that there always has to be one of you when it comes to map-making suggestions. "OMG ur font is so awfulz".

But... beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

Top Bottom