• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

New NESes, ideas, development, etc

For one thing, it involves me basically telling certain players what to do, and that is prima facie bad.
On the other hand you say players don't have enough attachment to their specific countries, which means you would like them to behave in a certain way, otherwise they are bad players. You don't want to tell them what to do, but what not to do, which amounts to the same thing.

Telling the player he's got only 5 turns to control one nation doesn't force him to commit suicide. It makes it a viable option. The player can still try to leave his nation as a strong nation when he leaves the game if he so wills.

Furthermore, the prestige system doesn't work well either. As implemented in, say, PerfNES, it promotes both warlike and peaceful activites. War allows to get rid of other competitors, so it provides an indirect ability to mass more prestige than other players by getting rid of them and removing their ability to mass prestige. If war also wins prestige, it's always the best choice to gain prestige, therefore prestige fails to achieve its goal.

Any system based on points or a metric is, in my opinion, going to face two big issues. One is that "getting more points" isn't an incentive for role-playing, so this point system won't attract people who would like to role-play - only interesting settings/challenges can achieve this. The second one is that the way points are awarded can only be totally arbitrary.

Ultimately, as long as NESers are viewed as players rather than writers, you can't achieve what you'd like to.

On the other hand you say players don't have enough attachment to their specific countries, which means you would like them to behave in a certain way, otherwise they are bad players. You don't want to tell them what to do, but what not to do, which amounts to the same thing.

Promoting realistic/interesting actions is not at all the same as setting them actual goals. The one is trying to cultivate a fun/cool playing environment. The other is essentially robbing them of creative direction.

Furthermore, the prestige system doesn't work well either. As implemented in, say, PerfNES, it promotes both warlike and peaceful activites. War allows to get rid of other competitors, so it provides an indirect ability to mass more prestige than other players by getting rid of them and removing their ability to mass prestige. If war also wins prestige, it's always the best choice to gain prestige, therefore prestige fails to achieve its goal.

This would make sense, if you could actually make it work that way. Incessant warring is unrealistic and stupid, and would lose you prestige. Since most people are gaining prestige at a similar rate, you'd need to take out EVERY COUNTRY on the planet to "eliminate your competitors". It's not a two horse race, it's not even a horse race. It's a marathon where every competitor is running a different route, miles apart. No one can interfere with other people.

Moreover, PerfNES makes war difficult enough to make peace a viable option.

Any system based on points or a metric is, in my opinion, going to face two big issues. One is that "getting more points" isn't an incentive for role-playing, so this point system won't attract people who would like to role-play - only interesting settings/challenges can achieve this. The second one is that the way points are awarded can only be totally arbitrary.

Ultimately, as long as NESers are viewed as players rather than writers, you can't achieve what you'd like to.

It's not really for the roleplayers' benefit, except in two ways -- it shows the mod is paying attention, which is always nice, and it shames the people next to the roleplayers, who would otherwise get an unfair advantage.*

*In most NESes.

What if each player plays as an Organic 'Leader' King, Emperor, Federation President, What say you. They have to manage themselves and their country. If they die in battle they lose control of their country: They also get to choose from a pool of reserves three players they want to be next in line for the throne: be it by civil war or by succession depending on how they managed their personal details. (How many kids? How are they raised? ect) When they get older the MOD can start warning them of their body starting to fail, diseases start to prevent some policies from being implemented as best as possible if they refuse to use ministers ect.

Well guys, I'm going to need some suggestions, and ideas.

You see, I want to start an NES again, and I was going to do a small BT for SMW but I find myself just not having any interest in really doing it again. Rather, my mind get wandering back to OAS, because even from the get-go of me announcing that I was going to attempt to restart SMW, I had been debating as to whether or not to restart OAS.

The problem with SMW was the relative seriousness of the game, as compared to Our Ancestors Sins. Looking at OAS, I found it fun to update, I loved writing events of the year, etc. and the relative simplicity of the stats were a bonus.

At the same time, Imago is hoping to release INES III sometime soon, and I feel like my concepts in the regards to a relatively random future may be similar to his. I could always try to do what I imagine the SMW to look like in 2100, or even 2200. I prefer later dates, as I could then come up with a plausible excuse as to why nukes aren't workable. :p

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

And Imago, I am really hoping INES III comes out! INES II remains to be my favorite NES, and as you can see, it's had quite the influence on me.

Oh, here are links to the two NES's referenced.

OAS
SMW

Do a fresh start on a new planet, a colony coming off a generation ship. No superluminal travel or communication, so no help from Earth. High tech but low industry start, and plenty of opportunity for mod-fun. Easy to build an army, but no infrastructure for nukes :)

I much prefer Earth maps. Thanks for the suggestion though! Your concept as a whole makes sense.. I'm just picky. :p

I was thinking of an alternative timeline, in which the U.S. lost the civil war, Gavrilo Princep missed his shot, their was only one world war, and a splintering of the CS, and US. In concept, I see the Confederate states being unable to really effectively govern it's land. Of course, this would all be loosely historical. I by no means think any of it.. reasonable/logical. Just a thought I had. It might give me an excuse to think of a crazy/odd world map, with relatively random nations.

In my opinion, the only problem with the PerfNES prestige system is that it is not geared enough towards war, actually, and so prestige is gained too cheaply by easy (albeit imaginative at times) peaceful methods, rather than through war, which IRL actually did gain far more external prestige for countries than patronage. That's debatable I suppose though, and I trust Perf knows what he's doing. I certainly, though, don't think that it's too easy to gain prestige through war.

Switching countries is an interesting idea. I might try modding it sometime. :)

I was thinking of an alternative timeline, in which the U.S. lost the civil war, Gavrilo Princep missed his shot, their was only one world war, and a splintering of the CS, and US. In concept, I see the Confederate states being unable to really effectively govern it's land. Of course, this would all be loosely historical. I by no means think any of it.. reasonable/logical. Just a thought I had. It might give me an excuse to think of a crazy/odd world map, with relatively random nations.
Yeah, see, if the Federals lost the ACW (however you manage to do that; I'd be moderately interested in seeing how), Gavrilo Princip isn't even going to be born. (Or rather, there's an astronomically high chance that he won't be born such that he essentially wouldn't be.) Never mind, of course, a drastically altered tenor of international relations in Europe, Asia, and the Americas. You'd have to actually work out altered wars of German unification, for instance. Of course, I doubt the Confederacy would even continue to exist past the 1880s or so, even if it did achieve some sort of independence somehow in the 1860s.

Or, hell, if you're going to throw plausibility out the window and redraw the map for kicks and giggles, whatever, never mind.

Yeah, see, if the Federals lost the ACW (however you manage to do that; I'd be moderately interested in seeing how)

Antietam is the best bet if you ask me (although, being Dachs I assume you already have well thought out reasons why Antietam also doesn't work). Personally the way I look at that particular divergence from a plausibility angle is that either the Confederacy occupies Washington by the end of '62 and gains international recognition, or the Confederacy loses the war.

Of course, almost all AH, by its nature, is less probable than what actually happened, they aren't all "for want of a nail" situations, least of all this DP, which is you have to admit one of the most common.

Interestingly enough I was working on a similar timeline regarding the effects of secession on German unification and the Great War, I was doing it with a Southron though, and he kept insisting that not only would the CSA have remained a viable nation, he went so far as to assume they would have pushed their economy to industrialize without Northern assistance and "racism would never have existed," so things were getting a little out of hand. He also kept shouting about Vicksburg to which I kept arguing that Vicksburg was too late, that it was all over at that point anyways. Which brings up another interesting aspect of this particular divergence, is it really any fun for people who don't live in the South and are not trying to use it to paint a deeper picture of the population of that region, let alone the arguments regarding that character which it will inevitably provoke in a southerner.

Yeah, see, if the Federals lost the ACW (however you manage to do that; I'd be moderately interested in seeing how)

Now I don't know too much about the ACW, but what if Picket's Charge actually worked at Gettysburg? From what I know, Lee ordered a huge artillery barage on the Union lines before the charge, and he thought that this had been largely effective at weakening the Union line when really must of the shells overshot their target. So what if in the alternate history, Lee's artillery hit their targets, Picket's Charge still has massive casualties but succeeds in breaking the Union line, causing the Union army to retreat. That might eventually lead to a cease fire and a peace treaty.

Yeah, see, if the Federals lost the ACW (however you manage to do that; I'd be moderately interested in seeing how), Gavrilo Princip isn't even going to be born. (Or rather, there's an astronomically high chance that he won't be born such that he essentially wouldn't be.) Never mind, of course, a drastically altered tenor of international relations in Europe, Asia, and the Americas. You'd have to actually work out altered wars of German unification, for instance. Of course, I doubt the Confederacy would even continue to exist past the 1880s or so, even if it did achieve some sort of independence somehow in the 1860s.

Out of curiosity, and a bit of stupidity, how exactly do you think the German Unification Wars would have been changed or altered. Also, what do you think would have happened to the Confederacy?

For the Confederates, I always figured that essentially, the only areas that would remain Confederate truly, would be the deep-South areas, like South Caroline, Alabama, etc. I feel as though the various other states, such as Texas might break away and try to forge their own nations. Just a thought.

EDIT: Course' you could always respond in the alt-history discussion thread. Since this is delving into that area.

As I understand it, the biggest problems with the third-day attack on Cemetery Ridge were the issue of ammunition and, more importantly, issues with Lee's command structure, which was much too hands-off. Alexander's bombardment was fairly well conducted as far as it went - failing to correct for high shots balanced out by the utter destruction the bombardment on the lower slopes of the ridge - but it was necessarily limited because basically everybody, from Lee to Longstreet to Pendleton to Alexander, screwed up and left the ammunition train for the artillery miles to the rear. The plan had been for the bombardment to have been more or less kept up by artillery pieces that rolled forward with the troops up to the Emmitsburg Road, but this was impossible on any real scale due to the critically low stocks of Confederate ammunition.

Realistically, though, I dunno about the possibility of cracking Cemetery Ridge that day. After all, there were plenty of Federal troops on hand, and if Meade and co. had demonstrated anything on the previous day, they were very adept at shuffling troops between various sections of the battlefield to where they were needed and plugging holes. The Army of the Potomac's soldiers were simply employed much more efficiently than the Confederate troops, due in large part to the magic of interior lines. Hunt's artillery still outnumbered the Southern guns and the Federals were much better trained and organized.
Antietam is the best bet if you ask me (although, being Dachs I assume you already have well thought out reasons why Antietam also doesn't work). Personally the way I look at that particular divergence from a plausibility angle is that either the Confederacy occupies Washington by the end of '62 and gains international recognition, or the Confederacy loses the war.

Of course, almost all AH, by its nature, is less probable than what actually happened, they aren't all "for want of a nail" situations, least of all this DP, which is you have to admit one of the most common.

Interestingly enough I was working on a similar timeline regarding the effects of secession on German unification and the Great War, I was doing it with a Southron though, and he kept insisting that not only would the CSA have remained a viable nation, he went so far as to assume they would have pushed their economy to industrialize without Northern assistance and "racism would never have existed," so things were getting a little out of hand. He also kept shouting about Vicksburg to which I kept arguing that Vicksburg was too late, that it was all over at that point anyways. Which brings up another interesting aspect of this particular divergence, is it really any fun for people who don't live in the South and are not trying to use it to paint a deeper picture of the population of that region, let alone the arguments regarding that character which it will inevitably provoke in a southerner.
Right, so the South had a few problems.

The biggest one is that the Confederacy had to win the war on its own, a daunting task. Even in the face of Lee's greatest victories, Russell and Palmerston refused to actually fight against the Federals - doing so, they feared, would prolong the war and make it even messier than it already was for everybody involved. Seward encouraged this by threatening to unleash a "race war" in the event of intervention and claiming, with excellent reason, that a British intervention would only strengthen American resolve to fight on. Even when the British thought that Lee had won at Antietam, nothing moved except for a continued effort to build a coalition to back an offer of mediation, a step that occurred anyway when the news of the battle's true result came out and a move that, Palmerston and Russell steadfastly claimed, did not mean that the British were even remotely interested in backing the Confederacy by force of arms. Indeed, nothing brought up the issue of British intervention so dramatically as did the fact that Antietam was inconclusive, and when Gladstone made his Newcastle speech, it immediately became clear what intervention would actually mean, even if Lee had captured Washington (and it's not clear he could have done, even if he had scored a victory in Maryland): full-scale Anglo-American war. Without a negotiated or dictated peace in hand, Davis, Benjamin, Mason, and Slidell had little to no chance of attracting the aid of the United Kingdom.

Changing the late-1862 Confederate grand offensive into Kentucky and Maryland from bloody stalemate to dramatic victory requires a great deal more than "for want of a nail"-type stuff. Lee's special order's importance is greatly overexaggerated by Turtledove types, for one thing. But regardless of the actual outcome of the Battle of Antietam itself, one would need to then get Lee to crack the Washington fortifications to capture the city (that may not even have been his goal, much less a military possibility), and Bragg would need to win big in Kentucky, something I think we can agree was pretty unlikely, and Lincoln and Seward and all the rest would actually have to have given up, and I honestly can't see that happening either. I mean, if you really wanted to, you could write a timeline that featured successive Confederate victories through the fall of 1862 culminating in a capture of New York or Philadelphia in the spring of the following year, with all Federal comers vanquished, but such an occurrence would be so dramatically improbable as to be something of a . One runs into similar problems in 1864 during the election. Even McClellan distanced himself from the Copperheads, and may have found himself impeached had he won the election following on drastic Union defeats on the battlefield and subsequently gone beyond his campaign promises in offering peace (he only would commit to negotiation, not a serious action on that negotiation, in his 1864 platform).

So whatever: assume the Confederacy somehow manages to secure its independence following an improbable run of victories on the battlefield. Okay: so what? The interest of Britain in supporting such a state is going to dramatically decline in the following years as Europe heats up (one way or another) and it becomes unprofitable to spend on the defense of Canada from a hostile United States, just as Britain began to draw down its Asiatic and Mediterranean commitments in the next few decades in OTL (and, in all probability, TTL). And France may make for a worse neighbor than the United States in Mexico, as Confederate diplomats had realized as early as the fall of 1862 in OTL. The overall American superiority in manpower, cash, industry, and the like is not going to be dented. By the 1880s at the latest the Americans are going to make another go at it, and it's hard to see the outnumbered and friendless Confederacy triumphing yet again.
Out of curiosity, and a bit of stupidity, how exactly do you think the German Unification Wars would have been changed or altered. Also, what do you think would have happened to the Confederacy?

For the Confederates, I always figured that essentially, the only areas that would remain Confederate truly, would be the deep-South areas, like South Caroline, Alabama, etc. I feel as though the various other states, such as Texas might break away and try to forge their own nations. Just a thought.

EDIT: Course' you could always respond in the alt-history discussion thread. Since this is delving into that area.
Well, France's commitments are going to be drastically altered from OTL if the Confederate experiment succeeds and Mexico becomes a French puppet. At the same time, the UK and France are going to be increasingly estranged, although they were historically. Now, the 1864 war is probably going to happen more or less the same way with few variations except for the course of the war itself and the dates. Butterflies aren't going to be enough on that time-scale to impact things like the composition and tactical instrument of the Habsburg army, for instance, but they could very well lead to an Austro-Prussian explicit partnership against an overweening France instead of the enmity that developed historically in 1865. A Franco-Italian alliance against Prussia and Austria is certainly a potential scenario for war in the late 1860s. Alternatively, Bismarck might decide that a France that is more distracted by the New World might make a better partner than it was historically, and continue on more or less the same path (probably winning the Austro-Prussian War equivalent anyway, although messing with that could make for lulsome second-order butterflies) but with slightly less risk of a Franco-Prussian War equivalent.

The pressure on the Confederacy to split apart would be very intense, but I think that, save in the eyes of modern Old South romantics and pro-traitor libertarians, a utopian states' rights Confederacy with various states going more or less their separate ways won't happen. The power of the central government in the CSA was explicitly stronger in their Constitution than was the American federal government, and Richmond only got stronger as the war went on. Resistance to Richmond would be crushed bloodily like it was historically in northern Alabama, Knoxville, and North Carolina. Besides, the ever-present threat of Washington would be quite the incentive to hang together, lest they all hang separately. And I think that they would be consigned to the gallows together - just a decade or two later than they ought to have done historically, and doubtless under the eye of a president much less interested in reconciliation than was Lincoln.

I agree that the discussion is better suited to the alternate history thread, and it'd be nice to have most of it moved there. :3

Dachs said:
Players already don't have enough attachment to their specific countries. In general, players are much too willing to gamble and stake the existence of their country - something that would be extraordinarily rare historically - on perceived slights or affronts to honor. We get stupid Highlander wars all the time. Honestly, I think encouraging more attachment to one's country is what we need to aim for, not less.

The idea of having separate players play different rulers of a given state is a good one for different reasons, and it's one that would be great to pull off, but the player base is simply too small to support such an undertaking except in NESes with a ridiculously small number of potential players.

I disagree completely, although the NESes we play in are of different genres which could be the reason for our differing opinions. Yours are more historical, mine are fantasy, FFHNES, often fresh start games and in these NESes, players are too attatched to their states. I think when you have created a nation and a culture from scratch and built it up from the begining of the game there is a certain emotional attatchment and playing in a suboptimal, or even remotely aggressive way is too high a risk to make.

Again with the different genres, the games I play often do have small player numbers. I think some kind of random mod-controlled swap over would be an interesting game mechanic. How I envisage it, at the end of certain updates, the mod would assign particular players to different nations. I'm not saying everyone would change at once (@Ldi), or with any kind of predictability. It would certainly keep things fresh, and if the players knew they could be switching nations at any time they would be more prepared to take risks, to engage in warfare, and also to play suboptimally for RP/interesting updates.

None of this really applies to your particular problem, but it's an interesting idea regardless.

I disagree completely, although the NESes we play in are of different genres which could be the reason for our differing opinions. Yours are more historical, mine are fantasy, FFHNES, often fresh start games and in these NESes, players are too attatched to their states. I think when you have created a nation and a culture from scratch and built it up from the begining of the game there is a certain emotional attatchment and playing in a suboptimal, or even remotely aggressive way is too high a risk to make.
I entirely agree that that's a key reason players might/might not be attached to the things they play, and I have devised what I believe to be an adequate solution for the purposes of an althistorical NES. We'll see if it works out okay.

Although I disagree with your implicit characterization of the way most people play in those NESes as optimal, and the apparent contrast between optimal play and aggressiveness. :p

Eko: my main problem with that kind of system is that you wouldn't be able to have characters that continue from story to story. The main appeal these games hold for me is the ability to grow characters over a series of turns, if I randomly switch nations every three or four turns then that character either moves every time (which would be weird for less wanderlust-prone characters) or has to be scrapped. It weakens long-term character growth

Eko: my main problem with that kind of system is that you wouldn't be able to have characters that continue from story to story. The main appeal these games hold for me is the ability to grow characters over a series of turns, if I randomly switch nations every three or four turns then that character either moves every time (which would be weird for less wanderlust-prone characters) or has to be scrapped. It weakens long-term character growth

Then you switch your character creation to creation of cultures.

In that case, switching nation does not matter as much, As both you and new your nation player have to consider previous player created culture and your culture still remains the same. Something like in N3S, where i took over a peaceful canadian-hippies nation and can't turn them into aztec-warmongers in a turn or two.

The player switches may (should) have in-context reasons. These reasons may explain why characters leave nations and go somewhere else.
For instance, the king of Spain dies, the grandson of the king of France becomes the new king of Spain, and some of his followers accompany him.
You could also have a character be a kind of historian, journalist or the like, and he might write about, or travel to, different parts of the world.
Admittedly, it would be hard to grow the characters of rulers ove stories if they change, but then again, a king of Poland can become duke of Lorraine, so even that may be manageable.

NW: It'd be the same with a culture or a character. For much of the game you wouldn't be playing a culture that you designed and tweaked over the course of a dozen turns, you'd be writing about some other culture which you had no input into the creation while you watch someone else write stories which slowly warp your culture's basic framework.

LDI: yeah, or a traveling merchant. Hm, that probably would work. Objection retracted

Personally I dislike the character building thing anyway. I don't see it as an integral part of NESing and it annoys me when games reward it (and other story writing) too much. Yeah I can write when I choose to, and I think I come up with some reasonable stuff when I put the time into it, but I can't stand the feeling that I have to keep writing to do well in the game, and to keep up with other players who might be posting shorter and in honesty quite low quality stories every couple of days or so.

Not to mention the fact that a game like this would probably have quite a wide time span. You could be seeing turns of 50-100 years or so, in which case characters are not going to be a main focus of the game. Stories would revolve around the development of cultures more then characters, or alternately they could just be set within a specific time period in the NES (I don't see why people don't do this actually).

Also I disagree that there should be clear in context reasons for the change beyond maybe a change in rulers (or dynasties in games with longer time scales), and I very much disagree that the game should follow a bunch of characters that wander around between nations.

Top Bottom