New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Trust me when I say that I know D&D rules. He was proposing GURPS, which is a boring system IMO. D&D has more flavor.

Anyway, I really want to see your D&D NES. Dragonson's idea was quite cool, but unfortunately it was quite short. At least, it provided us with a few really hilarious quotes (which can be seen in the Social Group named "Quote Libary").

Well, I wholly agree with you, Luckymoose, but D&D would be hard to model in NES-form. I chose GURPS because I figured simpler = easier to moderate.

GURPS is no easier to model than say, Labyrinth Lord or Dark Dungeons, which are retro clones of 0e Basic/Xpert and above.

Yeah, why didn't I think of stuff like Dark Dungeons? That would be a much better model. Ignore me, please!

As you know I am eternally conflicted about my NESing projects, and still plan to breathe some life into my most recent one. However, I was on NESChat talking about DaftNES2 yesterday. Here is the document I have been working on, setting the scene for a theoretical continuation with focus on the major powers in the world. I plan to add blurb for the United Empire and Ceinurissian Aonsaise.

-------------------------------------------------------

Last DaftNES2 update & Map

The year is 687 AD, and the world is recovering from a series of droughts, epidemics, earthquakes, failed rebellions and a succession of exceptional freezing winters. Tens of millions have died in Asia alone. But now the thaw has come. The survivors breathe more easily, and turn in greater numbers towards new ideals. Yet the old monolithic power systems refuse to loosen their grip, and as recent events have stirred the bitter embers of social, ethnic and religious strife, much of the world now teeters on the brink of war or civil war. The fate of the world may be decided by the actions of three great powers...

Germanica

Following centuries of relative stability, Germanica emerges as a relatively wealthy and populous state, with some of the world's prime agricultural land and abundant minerals. It is however a microcosm of the greater European continent, with all of the problems found therein...

Germanica is built upon ancient tribal, feudal foundations going back to the murky shadows of pre-history. Ever since the old kingdom of the Saxons expanded and conquered the much more ancient kingdoms of central Europe, a patchwork of different laws and customs has existed across the Empire. The original dynastic morass has been carefully trimmed back over the centuries by successive Emperors, in part by using the Aeonist faith as a tool to increase the power and prestige of holy Imperial authority. Yet feudal economies and conservative attitudes remain entrenched in the rural central lands, with powerful nobles and clerics eager to keep the peace and slow the pace of change to a crawl.

Meanwhile the trading cities of the northern sea increasingly clamour for the kind of economic freedoms enjoyed by their Thulean trading partners. And now, in the aftermath of the bloody Tuscan wars and the arrival of powerful Antalyan armies on the edge of Europe, the intellectual influence of Rationalism spreads from the south-eastern borders; the exotic books of the Asian enlightenment are being read in private by Germanican nobles and merchants alike. Yet the Aeonist Crusaders remain keen to expand Aeonist-Germanic influence deeper into the north-eastern marches and also overseas into Africa, encouraging fiery Aeonist fanaticism and keeping Germanica at the heart of the Aeonist League. They are not afraid to pick a fight with the massive military machine of Antalya, if it comes to keeping Rationalism out of Libria and the Tuscan peninsular.

With Germanica already being split four ways, there is now another source of antagonism - the neighbouring kingdom of Rove, once a powerful ally of the Aeonist Crusaders, has been engulfed in civil war, as the popular King Louis fights to impose centralising and liberal reforms against the conservative Aeonist nobility of that country. All across Aeonist Europe, many of the lower classes criticise the accumulation of wealth by the aristocracy and the Aeonarchy, and look sympathetically upon Louis's cause. Other states are already picking sides; with centuries of unresolved antagonism between Aeonist orthodoxy, heretics and pagans – between noble lords, merchants, craftsmen, clergy, knights and peasants - Europe is a powder keg ready to explode.

The recent Tuscan civil wars are still fresh in the memory of Europe. Most would wish to avoid such violence and chaos. But it may be unavoidable. Germanica has all the ingredients for greatness, but that course must be charted around many hazards. The Germanican Emperor and his council must now choose a firm direction, or risk being themselves swept up in the turmoil.

Antalya

Founded upon the fusion of warlike proto-Germanic tribes with the ancient Iron Hoplite cities of Argosia and the mystical Asian peoples of Altyn-Kanalat, followed by a steady influx of steppe culture from the west and the historic import of the Phosist faith and cultural values from Videssos, the lands of Antalya - through successive empires - have long been the crossroads of the Old World. This melting pot has given birth to a rich culture that has in turn spread its influence far and wide, and the empire has recently found new motivation in the form of the Rationalist philosophy and its modernist, enlightening mission - thus far quite happy to yield to the Bazilevs, the benevolent despot of Altyn Sarai. Centuries of flood-control and irrigation works have transformed riverine basins into vast agricultural landscapes, and massive canal projects have connected the Mediterranean and Ak-Dynghez seas with the Golden Lakes, fuelling the growth of massive cities and entrepôts with monumental architecture; indeed, the modern Antalyan state is rapidly becoming a crossroads of the whole world.

Whether by accident or design, Rationalist influence now encircles Antalya's main rival in Asia, the United Empire – Rytarria, Sung and Panga all have active Rationalist elements, especially the latter. Intervention in the Tuscan wars has also brought the western periphery of Europe under Antalyan influence, and the recent heroic campaigns in Africa have led to the acquisition of the former Kzame fleet and the establishment of fortified Antalyan colonies all along the western coast of that continent too; as Antalyan-Kzame ships battle with Theosist privateers, a growing volume of Pangan and Thulean trade reaches Antalyan ports, and Antalyan traders with large, well-armed merchant ships increasingly ply the waters of the Euris and Zeyris oceans. This Empire, however, is one of staggering contrasts – opulent wealth and crushing poverty, modern industry and ancient subsistence, the brightest enlightenment and the murky depths of urban vice... It is 'a very human empire', to quote a common observation.

Antalya's internal situation is as stable as may be hoped, having fortunately passed the test of recent troubles. And abroad, Antalya's military machine seems unstoppable. Things may be more fragile than they appear, however. Economic and social divides still threaten to erupt into violence with the right trigger. Subversive cults and sprawling crime syndicates persist in the urban underworld - and the Phosist faith has not been forgotten, either. The upper classes are developing a taste for expensive Asian and American luxuries, leading to a trade imbalance; industrial activity is heavily focused on imperial armaments at the expense of private enterprise, and military expenditures are rapidly eroding any budget surplus - especially with a humiliated, but healthy Kaliate of Hadarass inflicting a steady rate of attrition on African garrisons and increasing their demands for supplies, the logistical effort occupying a large portion of merchant shipping. And while Rationalism spreads among the powers of Asia, it has led to some disorder in every case. The European border is also uneasy, as Aeonist crusaders may well take up arms to prevent further Mycenean-Antalyan influence in Tusca and Libria. Meanwhile, as Rytarria lapses into chaos, the loose western border must be guarded against Steppe incursions. And all the while, a careful eye must be kept on the legions of the United Empire...

Antalya's leadership faces many choices – risk further military campaigns in Europe, Africa, or even a head-on confrontation in Asia, seeking to fund warfare with plunder - or make peace deals to downsize the military and reap economic dividends? Risk tackling the urban scum at home, or forge an unholy pact with them to keep the peace? Risk pushing forward the enlightening mission of Rationalism at home and abroad, or play it safe to prevent social disturbance? Risk granting full religious freedom, as a statement of confidence in the endurance of Rationalism? Risk expanding ocean trade, even to the point of conflict with the Thuleans and Pangari? Enact trade laws to limit the import of expensive luxuries, or allow free trade? Try to encourage home-grown industrial enterprise, or simply invite the best of Thulean industrialists to Antalya? Push for Rationalism in Asia, or simply exploit the current situation to gain an influx of dissident scholars and mercenaries? The Empire is at a crossroads in every sense – and the Bazilevs now decides the fate not just of his own Empire, but also guides the destiny of the wider world.

It also occurs to me that the NESLife 3 world, as it ended up, would make an interesting tribal-style game. Iggy's crusty critters would be the main sentient protagonists, and Jubblera hives could also be playable (so long as they were roleplayed to have a certain group-mind eccentricity), with lots of other animals as domesticated pets and helpers of both. Not to mention all the varied crops. For example, the Bulgorbs that produce toxic gas to prey on Jubbleras could eventually be tamed by them and used as weapons against other hives. Climbing and gliding Kakleias could also be important allies of the crusties, possibly on the verge of sentience themselves.

In the water, there could also be tribes of sentient Kathulu Finner descendents. Lots of possibilities!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7362359#post7362359

@Daftpanzer: what happens to The Prophecy, then?

Well, as you know, I am currently considering several possibilities for a potential NES. And I have three possibilities:
- A typical fresh start, with a mixed tech tree (I make the basic techs, the players make up other ideas).
- An ISOT NES, with players stuck in the past and trying to make sense of what happened, while making the best of the situation and have a relation with the locals.
- A NES similar to Battle for Wegener-2 (that one no one sent orders for), but simplified and put in the middle of an Alternative History. Players would play parachronic units from what would be Homeland, and have diplomatic relations with local nations, but, at the same time, they would have to deal with said locals, other groups, and, perhaps, even parachronics from other worlds...

Which of the three do you think would be better?

"No, you misunderstand me. The Rational Will does not contradict the concept of Phos. It surpasses it."

-Ivan Avaryk

Gosh, those descriptions were hype-inducing. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with a DaftNES 2 revival.

The Imperial Republic of Antalya reminds me of a slightly more Eastern-influenced and technologically advanced version of the Empire from the original Warhammer.

Hi everybody. Looking to start an NES and bounce around ideas, and searching through the forum to compare and contrast previous rulesets. Setting is Fall From Heaven. Most likely the players will create and grow a religious sect of some sort, and it can interface with a d&d game I run. I.e. recruiting a hero to join you would be a big boost, but also the heroes could be thought as another player in the NES in that they have their own interests to pursue. Anybody have any favorite rulesets they'd like to see in use for this NES?

EDIT: Been thumbing through the Player's Handbook 2, and chapter 7 seems to have at least half a ruleset laid out already. Here's what I'm thinking, use the d20 skill system with some minor tweaks to represent the results of what players do. Every success, either in opposed checks or against difficulty classes, as a result grant the player Research Points or Experience Points. Something they can collect and spend to improve their advantages, also with the results of the checks serving as fodder for story ideas. Simple yet interesting, and easy to pick up for anyone familiar with the d20 system. Now the second part is determining how they improve their advantage. Could go with more skill points. Could go with the experience system d&d has ready made. Earn experience, gain a level, gain skills, do more stuff. Its got possibilities.

I've been extremely busy lately, so I think I'm gonna put my fantasy NES idea on the backburner. However, I'm considering making a fairly simple non-Earth fresh start NES. Seems like I could run it much easier, and it would still be fairly enjoyable to me. If there's enough interest I'll try to launch it by next week.

Don't know why people won't say anything about my NES. The only person that has taken the time to tell me his opinion was Luckymoose... (Didn't like either that no one checked the B-day list last Saturday).

Anyway, if I end up doing the ISOT NES, these would be the stats for the player nations.

Downtimers
City / Player: pretty much explanatory.
Population: as everything is going to require all your people in order to act, you will have to take care of them quite well.
Culture: this can help in attracting people from your outskirts, increasing your holdings and even helping you in understanding the world you are in.
Food Production: the more food you can make, the more people you can feed. You can also trade food with the surrounding nations.
Economic Production: this is what you will have to use to make necessary things, like guns, ammunition, or building materials.
Gold: necessary for trade with other nations. Does not have to be actual gold, but must be something useful.
Research: you can research new ideas to improve your technology and research old ideas to make a better sense of where (and when) the hell you are. Especially when it comes to understanding the locals.
Buildings: the important buildings (like power plants, research labs, farms, mines, military bases...) are shown here.
Military Hardware: every gun, all ammunition, military vehicles... everything you may need for defending yourself, or even for making war against enemies, is here.
Projects: things that may be important for you to build.

Uptimers
Nation / Player: guess what?
Population: not as important as for the Downtimers, but it is useful to have a big population, as it is where your soldiers come from.
Culture: a great Culture may impress Downtimers into helping you. It also helps when it comes to make exchanges with the Downtimers, because you can understand them better.
Gold: necessary for trade and to finance everything.
Research: required to be able to apply whatever you have learned from the Downtimers, or to make up your own useful ideas.
Army: all of your soldiers.
Navy: your ships, if you have them.
Projects: what you are doing to improve your nation.

So far, I've got a suggestion to place all of this game in the year 1 AD, which means the players would be appearing during the reign of Augustus, first Emperor of Rome. It also means you guys would appear in this map:
Spoiler :

Opinions?

COMMENT MY STUFF!!!

@Milarqui I confess I'm pretty ignorant in general these days. ISOT??? I get the idea of time shifting, I think it could be fun but could also get really messy really fast... And may be hard for the average NESer to relate to something thats neither fantasy, sci-fi or historical. I think you'd get the roleplaying and storytelling type people though - perhaps the rules could be tailored to suit, IE more of a story NES and less stats??

@Daftpanzer: DaftNES 2 certainly looks a good thing to start from. Don't know how far it is in terms of technology, but it is still interesting. As for your proposed continuation for NESLife, well, it could be interesting how one could take the non-human guys into working in the game.
As for your comments on ISOT NES... well, I guess that stories would have a great place in there, but I would not know which stats to pull out. I would also need some help with the stats of the already present nations. Suggestions?

Your none neslife and nessos stuff suck. Only neslife and Nessos may rule!!!!
Dude, that's unproductive and uncalled for. Say you prefer Neslife and Nessos, but don't put down the entire remainder of Daft's creative works, which I think are consistently awesome, if often sadly short-lived.

Dude, that's unproductive and uncalled for. Say you prefer Neslife and Nessos, but don't put down the entire remainder of Daft's creative works, which I think are consistently awesome, if often sadly short-lived.
I never claimed I am productive. And if my joking was not apparent.... Oh well...

Hi everybody. Looking to start an NES and bounce around ideas, and searching through the forum to compare and contrast previous rulesets. Setting is Fall From Heaven. Most likely the players will create and grow a religious sect of some sort, and it can interface with a d&d game I run. I.e. recruiting a hero to join you would be a big boost, but also the heroes could be thought as another player in the NES in that they have their own interests to pursue. Anybody have any favorite rulesets they'd like to see in use for this NES?

EDIT: Been thumbing through the Player's Handbook 2, and chapter 7 seems to have at least half a ruleset laid out already. Here's what I'm thinking, use the d20 skill system with some minor tweaks to represent the results of what players do. Every success, either in opposed checks or against difficulty classes, as a result grant the player Research Points or Experience Points. Something they can collect and spend to improve their advantages, also with the results of the checks serving as fodder for story ideas. Simple yet interesting, and easy to pick up for anyone familiar with the d20 system. Now the second part is determining how they improve their advantage. Could go with more skill points. Could go with the experience system d&d has ready made. Earn experience, gain a level, gain skills, do more stuff. Its got possibilities.

I've noticed that DnD-based NESs have a hard time keeping momentum, because they are not really suited for an online structure. A lot of what happens in a DnD campaign involves the players reacting to each other's actions, while a NES pretty much has to have simultaneous turns. Otherwise you favor the players who update more frequently.

The FFH world has certainly had some brilliant NESs (Immaculate produced the gold standard of FFHNESs IMHO, I'd look at his works for inspiration), and I like the idea of religious sects, considering the outsized role religion plays in the FFH universe. If you are going to integrate it into a DnD campaign, though, make sure you know exactly how that is going to work before you start. NESs tend to move pretty slowly compared to tabletops.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'm going to have a problem with integrating the two, because I'm more concerned on getting the NES functional and started. Maybe after a month or two of updates I'll bring the two together, but definitely not to start. On top of that we only get 2 or 3 quests in a month so when it makes sense to bring the two together I'd like to, but not before then. Ffh nes iI has some awesome stories and updates.

Top Bottom