one pill, two pill, red pill, blue pill

Daird

Warlord
Let's say you find yourself in the same situation Neo did in The Matrix. On the one hand, you can take the blue pill and go back to your 21st century existence. On the other, you can take the red pill and see what reality is. What's your choice?

Let's say you find yourself in the same situation Neo did in The Matrix. On the one hand, you can take the blue pill and go back to your 21st century existence. On the other, you can take the red pill and see what reality is. What's your choice?

Blue pill hands down. Considering the real world in the Matrix series was an absolutely terrible existence for both humans and the machines, I would definitely choose the Matrix.

And if I did take the red pill just to see what the real world was like, I would probably end up trying to get back into the Matrix like Cipher.

Red pill. You can live in an imaginary world if you want to, but I want the real thing and a chance to make a difference. But the problem would be the sequels, they were lame.

Definitely the blue pill ! Real world is so depressing at times that even when being in matrix I would try and take another blue pill just to be sure, heck I would probably become a blue pill junkie ! :eek: :lol:

Red pill. You can live in an imaginary world if you want to, but I want the real thing and a chance to make a difference. But the problem would be the sequels, they were lame.

But is it an imaginary world if you are not aware it is imaginary? I mean lets say you found out tomorrow that you have been living in the Matrix this entire time; would that make everything you experienced up until then any less real in your own mind? No, it wouldn't. You still felt those emotions, you still smelled those smells, felt that pain; and it was all 100% real to your brain. Some bald guy in sunglasses and a leather trench coat giving you a pill doesn't change any of that.

Sure but it does change the context and meaning of said experiences.

Which is why I would take the blue pill. The blue pill restores you to that blissful ignorance that the Matrix is the real world.

That in my view only changes my knowledge about my life's meaning, the change in meaning in it being reality versus an elaborate deception doesn't go away even if I lose awareness of it.

Let's say you find yourself in the same situation Neo did in The Matrix.

At the time Neo didn't know what the Matrix was or what the real world was like, so I'd probably take the red pill out of shear curiosity. However, hindsight being 20/20 and knowing that I'd have to eat gruel, have weird metal sockets on my body, and live in the sewers, I'd probably take the blue pill.

That in my view only changes my knowledge about my life's meaning, the change in meaning in it being reality versus an elaborate deception doesn't go away even if I lose awareness of it.

See that's a theme of the Matrix movies that I think a lot of people overlook. Those movies (the first one in particular) try to get us to question what exactly reality is. Is not the Matrix merely just an alternate reality? Does the fact that it was artificially constructed make it any less real?

There are also theological implications in saying the Matrix is not real because it was artificially constructed. Now I know you are an atheist and I am too so the theological implications may not mean much to us; but let us examine them nonetheless. If you say the Matrix is not real because it was constructed by an entity outside the realm of its established reality, then you cannot argue that the so-called "real world" is reality. If you believe in a deity or deities that created our universe, then this is not reality because it was constructed artificially by an entity that is outside the realm of our reality, thus making our world no different from the Matrix.

Hell, even if you are an atheist you would be hard pressed to argue that the Matrix is somehow less real than the world outside the Matrix. I feel the Matrix and the world outside the Matrix were merely different levels of reality, but both were still equally valid realities.

@Commodore, I do not say that a matrixesque simulated reality isn't in some sense real, only that it is of a different nature and meaning. I think that difference is important. If there is a reality beyond this, and I can know about it, I want to know about it.

See that's a theme of the Matrix movies that I think a lot of people overlook. Those movies (the first one in particular) try to get us to question what exactly reality is. Is not the Matrix merely just an alternate reality? Does the fact that it was artificially constructed make it any less real?

There are also theological implications in saying the Matrix is not real because it was artificially constructed. Now I know you are an atheist and I am too so the theological implications may not mean much to us; but let us examine them nonetheless. If you say the Matrix is not real because it was constructed by an entity outside the realm of its established reality, then you cannot argue that the so-called "real world" is reality. If you believe in a deity or deities that created our universe, then this is not reality because it was constructed artificially by an entity that is outside the realm of our reality, thus making our world no different from the Matrix.

Hell, even if you are an atheist you would be hard pressed to argue that the Matrix is somehow less real than the world outside the Matrix. I feel the Matrix and the world outside the Matrix were merely different levels of reality, but both were still equally valid realities.

Noumenon. Google it.

Im satisfied with my life, Id certainly take the blue pill even ignoring the fact I have knowledge of what the matrix is actually. if I had taken the red pill I would desperately want to go back.

If I take the red pill, what's to guarantee that I won't just end up in another unreality, part of another simulation?

If my choice is between a reality that will feel real, and that I will think is real, and which is after all not so bad, and a reality that won,t feel real (because I won't be able to trust any "reality" ever again), that I will constantly question (again, because I'll know it might be a lie, since the previous one was), and that will be a lot harder and more painful to exist in...

Blue pill. For sure.

@Commodore, I do not say that a matrixesque simulated reality isn't in some sense real, only that it is of a different nature and meaning. I think that difference is important. If there is a reality beyond this, and I can know about it, I want to know about it.

Ah, got it. I thought you were saying a matrixesque reality was somehow invalid as a reality when you said "reality versus an elaborate deception". I took the use of the word deception as implying that kind of simulated reality was not worthy of the term "reality".

And when I said a lot of people overlook these types of themes in the Matrix series, I was not counting you in that group. I was trying to say that the fact you were giving the responses you were giving shows that you didn't just get distracted by all the flashy special effects and crazy action; and you saw the philosophical concepts the Wachowski brothers were trying to convey.

@Mouthwash: Glad I googled that. I have taken a few philosophy courses but never delved that deeply into the subject to learn about noumenon.

If I take the red pill, what's to guarantee that I won't just end up in another unreality, part of another simulation?

If my choice is between a reality that will feel real, and that I will think is real, and which is after all not so bad, and a reality that won,t feel real (because I won't be able to trust any "reality" ever again), that I will constantly question (again, because I'll know it might be a lie, since the previous one was), and that will be a lot harder and more painful to exist in...

Blue pill. For sure.

This would be my line of thoughts. I would also add in something about risk and the pointlessness of fighting on and such but I'm not sure how to express it properly.

Is knowing something not a sense of perception?

Everything is settled in the mind and that is the only reality. Most people base their reality on phenomenon. We call it experience. If we let experience shape reality, that is the only reality that we know. However what happens around us is not the only reality that the mind can know.

The mind cannot create reality, because it is in and of itself part of reality.

There is no point in the moment of unknowing that can give any insight of what and what is not reality. That is the threshold of taking chances without evidence.

There are those who claim we have no choice in anything, even if presented with one.

You have to remember I think that Neo was not at all content with his life and could see glimpses of the Matrix here and there already. He just didn't know what it was.

He was the one. I mean, obviously.. but then in this scenario am I to assume that I am also the one? Because if so, then screw the fake world. Even if I'm put back into the matrix and my memory is wiped, I will feel the matrix there. It will bug me.. like somebody scratching a chalkboard somewhere far away. That's what happened to Neo and that's what would happen to me. I would choose the red pill and fight for humanity.

But if I'm not the one and I'm 100% myself, plain old me, then I would probably want to stick to this life. Why? Well, I really like exploring our planet, eating bacon, meeting girls, eating soup, and so on. Let the good times continue rolling!! Then when I "die" I'll wake up in the real world or reincarnate or whatever and maybe one day another guy will come up to me and offer me some pills.

Top Bottom