1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Feb 1st 2013 - bugs - Single Player

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

@Koshling:

First off thx for the great response to my posted info.

Now, Some bad, some not so new, and some still pending problems. (Same autosave, different turn(s).

GG's are still just accumulating in AI Civs, in the pictured one they have around 6 GG's just sitting in the city doing nothing?? (1)

One AI civ is still not working the tiles around the city with farms etc, made two improvements for mines but i dont see anything else for improvements?? (2)

(Last 2 pics) my SVN when hovering over City, also the changes you made are in the pic the workers are out making GREAT improvements now in that "featured" city in the above post, thx.

Current SVN 4703, NO viewports. Plus savedgame

2. sp00n

sp00n Prince

Wow. That is a perfect example of how one feature can cause an unexpected behaviour in another, seemingly totally unrelated feature!
    And I agree, it does take skill to find such an issue, as well as an understanding of the code interactions.
    No wonder it's been there for over a year. Kudos to you.

3. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

The Haast Eagle is way too big and should be sized down by half, at least. It also has a strange animation that makes the lower half of it "diving" into the ground.

4. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Strictly speaking the upgrade rate itself isn't a bug (though I would argue the displayed text is). Basically you can NEVER upgrade a seed camp! The reason is that the trait Seafaring has this in its definition:

Code:
    				<ImprovementUpgradeModifierType>
    					<ImprovementType>IMPROVEMENT_GRAIN_GATHERER</ImprovementType>
    					<iImprovementUpgradeModifier>-100</iImprovementUpgradeModifier>
    				</ImprovementUpgradeModifierType>
    This seems like a bad idea to me (it means you have a -100% modifier on the improvement rate for seed camps), but it's not really my call - whoever is handling traits currently might want to take a look at it.

The reason it reports as 25 turns is that the display code uses a rate of 1 if the actual rate is 0, to avoid a divide by zero error.

I plan to change three things (which won't help you much - the trait modifier needs to be changed to achieve that):

1) Make it display a correct number of turns (which won't be 'never' after the changes I will also make below, but WILL be a very large number with a -100% modifier)

2) Change it so that a rate of 0 never actually happens, instead you'll get the slowest possible rate the granularity of the data can handle (will make your current display go to 2500 turns)

3) Change the improvement rate handling code to be far more granular, because the current code has massive rounding errors and totally sucks! Right now the rate function looks like this:
    Code:
    int CvPlayer::getImprovementUpgradeRate(ImprovementTypes eImprovement) const
    {
    	int iRate;
    	int iRateModifier = getImprovementUpgradeRateModifierSpecific(eImprovement);
    	iRateModifier += getImprovementUpgradeRateModifier();

iRate = 1; // XXX

iRate *= std::max(0, (iRateModifier + 100));
    	iRate /= 100;

return iRate;
    }
    That means it tries to apply the modifiers to a base rate of '1' as an integer. This means ANY negative rate will always round it down to 0 (no improvement can ever happen) and any positive modifier can only multiply up by whole numbers (for 200%, 300%, etc.). That's obviously FAR, FAR too un-granular, so I'll change it to operate in hundredths.

5. strategyonly

Here is another GG screenie whereas they are just WALKING around doing nothing??

6. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Spoiler :
    When thunderbrd gave me the tags to use, this one he explained had to be increments of 100%.

Could just delete it altogether, im really not fused, I deleted the agricultural upgrade rate modifiers just b4 v28 release coz I kept getting an xml error for it when I tried to start c2c. No matter how many times I looked I couldn't figure out wtf the error was referring to. It was something like an incorrect bracket, but they were fine. So deleting the seafaring one as well would be a-ok with me.

There are a couple of other instances where the civilopedia says like " a -15% penalty" - which was coded in the xml to be a positive if you know what i mean. As a negative it would look like 15% penalty. There are a number of instances of this - i'd have to load up the game to be able to list them.

7. Lexotan_sedlex

Lexotan_sedlex Warlord

Canoes are too big and look like are hovering over the water, not floating in the water.
    I suggest a reduction 40%/50% in size and some modification in model to look more in contact with water.

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Spoiler :

He pinpointed the reason I stated that. At the time I didn't have the focus on the issue to make it more, as he states 'granular', but I had mentioned to you that I meant to eventually.

When I setup the trait tag, I was plugging into where the modifier was already in use by civics or buildings and noted that it was horrible for the same reasons he pointed out.

Yeah, -100% is not a great application but if you do intend for it to mean that under a given trait that improvement type would not upgrade without destroying the improvement and rebuilding then that's what you'd want.

Sounds like he's done what I meant to get back around to and improved the mechanism fundamentally so you now have a lot more wiggle room there which is just really cool! Thanks again Koshling! That was, in fact, a task on my list for this cycle.

Also... stating a -15% penalty should mean its pretty clear that its a negative amount and that its a penalty, not that it is a positive expressed as a double negative. Are you trying to say that this should be a positive effect and that the double negative is in fact accurate? I did not see anything along those lines when I did my last audit through the tags so if you can find any that seems out of place, let me know directly which tags are misbehavin'!

9. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

V28

New Game Start.
    Normal Leader selection (i.e. the box allowing any leader to lead any culture is unchecked).

Picked England and then went to Leaders and what appears as the whole selection list is available.

Additionally the leaders are not in alphabetical order (e.g. Mao is in the middle of the 'C' leaders... There may be other examples, I didn't look to closely).

10. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I started a game under version 4664 and updated to 4704. When I started the game I have 6-7 Bug ini failures listed. Even after updating to 4704 they did not go away. When I kill or subdue an animal it does not list in the middle top because of these constant BUG ini failures. They do not go away.

I have turned logging on and off, I've turned System on and off. Nothing works.

I have just before this game Installed Civ IV and BtS on a new Win 7 64 Pro OS and Computer. It's all fresh.

How do I get these msgs off my screen?

They are now also showing up in the C2C MP and Massive game too.

Screen shots below from game started SVN 4664.

JosEPh

11. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

At a guess are you running as an admin? and/or have the permissions for CivIV/C2C to write to your hard drive?

12. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Yes and yes.

Although this is my 1st go at Win 7. It's possible I missed something. (Actually very probable, I'm not adjusting to it very well)

JosEPh

Edit: I didn't have Full permissions under User or System) as I thought I had. (did under Admin) And what about Creator/Owner? Does that need Full permissions?

Thanks Taxman66.

13. strategyonly

Best to do it for ALL concerned, infact i turn OFF mine completely.

14. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Sure, im loading up the game now - so in 20 mins or so i'll have a look :lol: :mischief:
    There are at least a couple im sure, unless im going bonkers :eek:

Edit: Posted in our traits thread.
    ditto, its annoying as hell.. unless your on a network with lots of people using the pc or something.

15. strategyonly

EDIT:

Current SVN change to Italian Trans:

See my post below. . . SO

16. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Yes, already caught and fixed on the SVN.

17. strategyonly

DH, had internet problems, plus the TV was out (all connected) so sorry about this double posting and editing above:

Koshling

Also my enemy (Cherokee) has just BYPASSED an open city (no defenders) and not at least razing it??:eek::crazyeye: Now because of this inadequacy, i was able to get my Assassin next to them and Pick them off one by one.

Also see 2nd screenie with explanation in pic), thx.

EDIT: See 3rd pic:goodjob:, I haven't had more than 2 Civ's before hand when playing with Rev On recently but as you can see they are back to Normal again(i started with 12 civs), popping up everywhere, so something you did in the last coding on AI must have also triggered this, nice. At least as far as i can tell (your fix below)

Use in an outcome mission (like slaughter)
    Use to construct a building
    Disbanding
    Upgrading
    Reworked improvement upgrade slightly to be more granular in its use of modifiers, and to give correct displayed numbers in plot hover text

18. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I'll look at the save later - I presume its a save from the turn where the AI had the chance to attack? If it' from later the evidence to diagnose it will be gone...?

19. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Spoiler :

That is no longer true. You can now use any percentage sensibly, so if you want to nerf the seafarer's ability to upgrade from seed camps something like -50 or -75 seems more appropriate now...

20. strategyonly

Should be, it made 3-5 different turns in this savedgame and didnt attack either time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.