Resource icon

Quick UI [Civilization 6]

@vans163
Is this mod compatible with Better Trade Screen ?

Maybe it was another mod, but I could of sworn it was somewhere here that I read the city tab shifted left so that it wasn't getting covered up by the build menu! If it's not, it should be ;)
Yup, it was another mod. Divine Yuri's Custom City Panel
These 2 mods have some overlapping features which may have caused the confusion, but yeah I agree, this small feature (City Panel moving to the left when production queue pops up) should be present in this mod too

The reason I do not agree with the Yuri mod is because the panel+buttons shift left. When I play I often manage 20+ cities, for Tall play 4 cities or less you do no need mods.

Managing 20 cities I open the cities + citizenManage + purchase tiles + production panel all in 1 swoop by holding the shift key over a tile the city owns.

This means I can often manage 20+ cities in the time it would take me to manage 3-5 in vanilla. When the buttons slide left, it throws off where I want to naturally click.

There is 1 option with Yuri mod, and it would depend if the panel that slides left can be fixed always, so it never slides. That would also depend on the production panel
losing its fade in animation (which I hate), and so far I only found how to speed up the animation, but no way to remove it.

The trade mod should be compatible, each mod should really list the files it touches.

Last edited:
I also hate fading in and out. Apparently there is a class of UI elements (windows/boxes) called <AlphaAnim> which is usually the parent element of most/all panels. I surmise this is what provides the animation functionality (including sliding in and out and transparency etc. effects).

Some Animation has a beginning and end in (x,y) coordinates. The script sees the range from 0.0 to 1.0 in how much of animation is complete (i think those are correct range). You can control the animation playback based on how far the animation is completed. For instance, the main menu stops at 0.2, then processes some logic as long as it's under 0.3.

So you can try to modify the start and end points of the animation, and see if that works. Curious myself.

The animation speed at 60 seems the fastest it can go, as much as i can perceive it. So i think it may be soft capped by framerate or processing speed or something.

Last edited:
Speaking of animated UI elements, CA.

The Notifications stack is a weird device.. while i understand the reasoning of tracking "global" activities & combining types to reduce clutter, there's an extremely annoying HUD situation in that bottom-right area.
Every time we get the mouse hovering anywhere near these Notification/Buttons (and of course, they all are opening up as intended but in a somehow chaotic fashion!), ANY & ALL terrain tooltips coincidentally available **underneath** keep activating simultaneously.

WTF!! Please someone -- figure out a way to prevent these ToolTips from interfering with that specific area. I'm just about ready to slam my fist at the Monitor (( ;) )).. animated or not, this indirect process really pushes my rational limit of visual acuity beyond any worthy details i could ever wish to see **AT that particular moment & place**.

I also hate fading in and out. Apparently there is a class of UI elements (windows/boxes) called <AlphaAnim> which is usually the parent element of most/all panels. I surmise this is what provides the animation functionality (including sliding in and out and transparency etc. effects).

Some Animation has a beginning and end in (x,y) coordinates. The script sees the range from 0.0 to 1.0 in how much of animation is complete (i think those are correct range). You can control the animation playback based on how far the animation is completed. For instance, the main menu stops at 0.2, then processes some logic as long as it's under 0.3.

So you can try to modify the start and end points of the animation, and see if that works. Curious myself.

The animation speed at 60 seems the fastest it can go, as much as i can perceive it. So i think it may be soft capped by framerate or processing speed or something.

I just noticed this AlphaAnim in the .xml today and indeed it looks related. Going to see if I can gut out the slide + offset, so the build menu appear in the same place always. This should also be related to the leader screens being super slow. Thank you for the analysis on how it works, that is indeed useful. I set the ProductionPanel slideout to 1000 SetSpeed by doing Controls.AlphaIn:SetSpeed(1000); and this make the panel slide out much faster, but it still slides and it still hops around the screen as it offsets itself.

Zyxpsilon, Not sure what you mean. But if its the little icons at the bottom right, i have not noticed any glaring issues. Just often I see duplicate notifications like every turn seems to tell me a player has been eliminated. I know. I killed them way back in 2000 B.C lol.

Speaking of animated UI elements, CA.

The Notifications stack is a weird device.. while i understand the reasoning of tracking "global" activities & combining types to reduce clutter, there's an extremely annoying HUD situation in that bottom-right area.
Every time we get the mouse hovering anywhere near these Notification/Buttons (and of course, they all are opening up as intended but in a somehow chaotic fashion!), ANY & ALL terrain tooltips coincidentally available **underneath** keep activating simultaneously.

WTF!! Please someone -- figure out a way to prevent these ToolTips from interfering with that specific area. I'm just about ready to slam my fist at the Monitor (( ;) )).. animated or not, this indirect process really pushes my rational limit of visual acuity beyond any worthy details i could ever wish to see **AT that particular moment & place**.

I have fixed plot tooltips by (1) anchoring it to the left side of the screen (2) keep it always shown because it gets hidden whenever another type of tooltip pops up.

Nope.. the Notifications stack is alright. My only problem is that the Underneath *Plot* Tooltips are a "distraction" both visually and for the purpose of examining foreground details given by the sliding animations of multiple Notifications.

It's a dark brownish layer & symbols against some intrusive White/Boxes/Text that shouldn't appear while the mouse just happens to be hovering in the area.

Nope.. the Notifications stack is alright. My only problem is that the Underneath *Plot* Tooltips are a "distraction" both visually and for the purpose of examining foreground details given by the sliding animations of multiple Notifications.

It's a dark brownish layer & symbols against some intrusive White/Boxes/Text that shouldn't appear while the mouse just happens to be hovering in the area.

Ah! I notice it now. My conclusion is the entire non-xml-graphical part of the UI is a mess and it needs to be rewritten from the ground up (so all the lua). Thats the only way to fix bugs like this. They should of used something like Rx (https://github.com/bjornbytes/RxLua) or had a solid observer/reactive model in mind. Where you have a stream of events that gets map/reduced to resulting actions, in an ordered manner. Right now the UI is a chaotic war between 10 factions that fight to display themselves to you.

Exactly!
Which is why i was mentionning such an issue to a "QuickUI" modder. :)

Its a very annoying problem to fix, and your mileage may vary. You can get it right the first try, or by fixing it you will break something else. This is because of the amateur approach Firaxis took to doing the lua. TBH I have no interest in fixing a issue like this which I regard as small in significance but large in developer time. This xkcd explains it best http://xkcd.com/1425/ .

I almost have a beta ready and want to update the OP will all the new features + a video.

I just noticed this AlphaAnim in the .xml today and indeed it looks related. Going to see if I can gut out the slide + offset, so the build menu appear in the same place always. This should also be related to the leader screens being super slow. Thank you for the analysis on how it works, that is indeed useful. I set the ProductionPanel slideout to 1000 SetSpeed by doing Controls.AlphaIn:SetSpeed(1000); and this make the panel slide out much faster, but it still slides and it still hops around the screen as it offsets itself.

The AlphaAnim are easy to fix, one just has to set the Begin and End alpha to 1, this seems to (almost) completely skip its animation. The SlideAnims are a bit trickier it seems, as setting another offset for the production panel makes it appear almost isntantly, but apparently there's an animation running in the background which delays closing the panel with the escape key.

What I did was setting the alpha as stated above and adjusted the offset and speed for the production panel itself, but also for the various other animations. It's in the attachment if you're interested. I used the default file, as I think you didn't alter it in your mod. Would probably be cleaner to just remove the animation tags altogether, but then one had to adjust the animations being started, ended etc. in the lua as well..

Attachments

• ProductionPanel.xml
    34.1 KB · Views: 150
The AlphaAnim are easy to fix, one just has to set the Begin and End alpha to 1, this seems to (almost) completely skip its animation. The SlideAnims are a bit trickier it seems, as setting another offset for the production panel makes it appear almost isntantly, but apparently there's an animation running in the background which delays closing the panel with the escape key.

What I did was setting the alpha as stated above and adjusted the offset and speed for the production panel itself, but also for the various other animations. It's in the attachment if you're interested. I used the default file, as I think you didn't alter it in your mod. Would probably be cleaner to just remove the animation tags altogether, but then one had to adjust the animations being started, ended etc. in the lua as well..

Hey this is great. For the panel not closing, its not related to animation but its line 372 in ProductionPanel.lua, if (Controls.SlideIn:IsStopped()) then, this checks if the production panel slid out/in before sliding it out, leading to it not closing if you open/close it fast. Removing that check seems to have no negative effect.

Alrighty @vans163, i can certainly understand your reasoning there -- so just forget i even asked (for now!). :)

Then.. another challenge for ya. Refer to this earlier post on page 2... #32

I've made the generic MockUp below as to exposed the concept more precisely. Again, structurally the XML would accept such an hybrid set of custom lines rather easily -- from what i could detect in the Vanilla file(s). Values & centering the strings on each "column" of Victory types through the whole list might get a bit tedious.
Secondly, the red numbers indicate who leads exclusively for each categories -- which can only be achieved via tricky LUA acrobatics i gather.

These were pulled directly from my current game yesterday morning. Facts & exact ranges as they were!! (PS; i am very near to my first Science-Victory with Egypt)

Sooooooo -- if you don't want to try tackling that kind of (somewhat complex) stuff -- it's okay too. Either i would (when the darn SDK finally comes out!) or i'll just have to find someone else interested. ;)

This mod is amazing besides one thing, how can I change it so that when I click to change pop tiles or buy new tiles it goes to the Ariel view in vanilla not the normal view?

Top Bottom