• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Random Rants 94 I rant at the thread title and shake my fist menacingly.

The r key on my keyboad is sticking and doesn't always make the letter unless I am vey deliberate about hitting the key.

That's happened to my 6 key. I think it comes from spilling a bit too much hot chocolate on the keyboard...

Yes, I assume mine also probably has to do with eating while keyboarding, somehow. It seems to be clearing up the more I type. Maybe some crumb got itself out of the way (though the original spelling of crumb was cumb).

Two months post covid infection and I'm still coughing and having trouble breathing with very thick and sticky gross stuff in my throat constantly. Started a course of steroid treatment, which has thrown my sleep into disarray, again. But hopefully it helps. Looked online and it seemed to work for some but not others. I've noticed an improvements in my symptoms at least.

Why do updates fix one thing and break three? Latest update for my Xiaomi phone means I can no longer edit (or even copy) image file names from the Gallery app

Last edited:
I saw that. Fixed.

Last edited:
The WiFi connection in my room is simply horrible, I want to scream and throw a chair or something. I can't stay connected for as little as two consecutive minutes, and most of my life these days seems to be spent in staring blankly into space while I wait for a webpage to load

The WiFi connection in my room is simply horrible, I want to scream and throw a chair or something. I can't stay connected for as little as two consecutive minutes, and most of my life these days seems to be spent in staring blankly into space while I wait for a webpage to load
Blame your ISP or perhaps your wifi if that is how you connect.

It's a matter of a few feet. My roommate's bed, right next to the door, has good WiFi connection, while my bed is in the far end of the room. So he's endlessly watching videos after videos on his side while I'm waiting for the CFC notifications slide-down to load

Screenshot_2024-05-19-23-44-17-609_com.vivaldi.browser-edit.jpg

If you put together all the time together I've spent looking at this image over the past week I think it would come to over an hour

P.S. I tried sending this post immediately after the previous one but internet canked out right then and only came back just now

Last edited:
It's a matter of a few feet. My roommate's bed, right next to the door, has good WiFi connection, while my bed is in the far end of the room. So he's endlessly watching videos after videos on his side while I'm waiting for the CFC notifications slide-down to load
Next time he is out for a few hours, move your beds around. :D

For all my internet issues, I'm sticking here. For one thing, it's the one right next to the window, and for another it's the furthest from the door.

Heatwave ongoing, and restrictions on water use due to water shortage to boot.

No fridges at the hostel, so I went out to buy a couple of cool drinks from the store. The rest of purchases took too long, and I had to stand out in the open for a painfully long time, so my drinks aren't cool anymore, just flavourful.

I don't really know where to put this, but considering that Germany was once somewhere I wanted to live, this kind of stuff is hella scary:
We've already seen it happen here in the UK as well. Freedom and democracy in the West, etc.

I could rant about it more, but really I'm not interested as I know some folks will rush to defend it regardless. Hence, rant thread.

Try buying a wifi extender or whatever they're called.
Depending on your situation, you may want to read this answer that concerns the issues involved in introducing a wireless router into a congested wifi environment.
Spoiler Relevant bit :
Separate from the legal issues, I promise you we really are serious when we tell you these devices mess with everyone else and cause problems on our networks.

University residences tend to be very densely populated. We don't pack students in quite as much as a hotel might in terms of number of people per square foot, but it's close, and a much higher percentage of college students are heavy wireless users. It's not just your phone or laptop using the spectrum for internet. Game controllers, wireless mice, bluetooth speakers/earbuds, and more all share that same resource.

Our networks tend to be tuned to take best advantage of the available spectrum, where we make choices to support more simultaneous people rather than go for the highest individual speeds. For example, in the 2.4Ghz band we might only use 20mhz channels instead of 40mhz. This limits the max speed of each connection, but means we can support many more simultaneous devices. Another thing we might do in that band is limit to channels 1,6,and 11, because the channels overlap somewhat and only using those three avoids interference. Also, we'll tend to have more APs ("routers"), each one running at a much lower power level, so there's less geographical overlap and each AP doesn't have as many end-user devices. A large campus may have thousands of APs (routers).

When you start using your off-the-shelf router, it will do a scan and find, say, channel 4 seems unused. Then it will default to a 40mhz channel width with the extension on channel 8. So now, because the channels overlap, it's in contention with our devices across the entire 2.4Ghz spectrum. Additionally, instead of the 11db or 17db our APs might be using, to create smaller cells with fewer devices per cell, this will probably broadcast at the full permitted 29db, meaning this contention takes place over a much larger area.

All of those settings absolutely make sense in a home network, and are therefore the defaults in most off-the-shelf routers, but they are also exactly the wrong way to do things for college residence, and will lead to worse experiences for everyone.

Wireless contention issues aside, we've also had several cases where an incorrectly-connected router tried to take over DHCP duties in a building/vlan, thereby breaking internet access for many others until the culprit was tracked down and unplugged.

In short, internet access is not magic. It's based on real physical rules. These rules don't often matter much at home, but we are pushing the limits of what's possible when we come to these shared environments, such as a college residence. Bringing your own router into this situation is being a bad neighbor to your peers.

I don't really know where to put this, but considering that Germany was once somewhere I wanted to live, this kind of stuff is hella scary:
We've already seen it happen here in the UK as well. Freedom and democracy in the West, etc.

I could rant about it more, but really I'm not interested as I know some folks will rush to defend it regardless. Hence, rant thread.
On the one hand... ex-Prime Minister Stephen Harper, prior to his defeat in 2015, had some environmental groups listed as terrorists. Apparently tracking the environmental damage caused by leaky pipes, improper storage of toxic waste, taking photographic evidence, and so forth is "terrorism" - no violence was killed, nothing was destroyed, no mashed potatoes were thrown at anything - just evidence gathering.

On the other hand, blocking runways or any other travel route is not something I support. It's what the indigenous activists do here and it can (and has) led to violence between them and the RCMP. It interferes with the livelihoods of ordinary people, and people who may have urgent reasons to go where they're going. So blocking runways, highways, bridges, etc. isn't something I look at with sympathy.

Top Bottom