Random Rants OA - I Have 71 Problems, But This Thread Ain't One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Nova Scotia, some 19-year-old got arrested (they used 15 police officers too, bloody hell) because he used wget on the Freedom of Information website to grab a bunch of files. Some of them had personal information on them and shouldn't have been up in the first place. They did drop the charges against him eventually but this sort of thing just makes my province look bad.

Yesterday I was driving out of a parking lot onto a one way road. So I was mainly looking to my right, for there is no traffic to the left. Then just as I'm about to pull out I see a car from my left approaching me at maybe 30mph. In reverse.

Other recent driving wonders witnessed:

• At near that same spot on the one way road, a van with 'carrying school children' sign that got on it the wrong way.
  • Line of cars in right lane waiting at a red light to go straight, car passed us on the left, and then took right turn on red in front of us. Then a second car did it.
  • Stop at a red light in a left turn lane, car goes around me in the oncoming traffic lane to take a left on red.

tfw Lord of the Flies is at least 25% poop jokes but some of your students aren't paying close enough attention to notice them

like I legit did not expect to have to explain poop jokes to teenagers

In the show Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the character Karen Peralta, played by Katey Segal, is the mother of the character Jake Peralta. The character Victor Santiago, played by Jimmy Smits, is the father of the character Amy Santiago.

In the show Sons of Anarchy, Segal's character Gemma Teller-Morrow is in a romantic relationship with Smit's character Nero Padilla.

But in Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Jake Peralta and Amy Santiago are also in a romantic relationship. It's cross-universe step-incest. Gross!

We're going to cull one of my manuscripts.
I've submitted it to 5 different journals, each time rejected (obviously, else I'd not have submitted again).
Now the departments physicist had a look at the stats (because one of the main criticism comes from stats and replicates), and from the feedback, there's just no way of rescuing this.
Funnily I thought that this was my only good manuscript :lol:...:sad:.
What a waste of time.
(and a loss for my career :/ ).

Maybe you should hire Synsensa to proofread and edit them.

Yeah, I wouldn't be much help in gaining approval in a journal. The crowning jewel of my scientific editing was a ~30 page paper on inbred fruit flies. :lol: Nothing quite as special as what The J is working on and I wouldn't know where to start in specifically striving to get into a journal. Never done it. :dunno:

Sounds like you had a normal paper there (in all seriousness, yes), and my research is also not that special, especially given where I publish :lol:. Also don't underestimate your job. The editing can be very critical. It's not often easy to think straight (as funny as it sounds), and if someone helps to get a clear line into a mess of writing, then this can make a difference between an average and a great paper ;).

Of course! In my experience, though, in specialized industries you tend to run into the issue that certain organizations/authorities have a very particular idea on how things should be done. Any average editor might get your content reading well but they wouldn't be much help in getting you approval since they have no idea what needs to actually be changed in order to maximize your chances.

Pretty much the same situation as with grant writing or with investment proposals. Proofreading is straight forward enough but I'm of no help in actually increasing the likelihood of success. It's something that really does require someone who knows the environment and I, well, don't. I'm not a smarty pants.

So I have this bank account and debit card for things that just can't be done with cash (I'm lookin' at you, GoG). Anyway, somehow the card got compromised, which didn't do the compromiser any good since I get a text every time the card is used and jerked the rug out from under them before their $350 shoes got delivered. I was somewhat irritated that neither the bank nor Nike would cough up the address the shoes were being delivered to, but got over it.

Unfortunately, the bank insisted that a new card was required. Because of the air gaps between me and the bank I had to make a 200 mile round trip to pick up this new card. On line activation process was a bust, and I ended up having to phone in, jump through hoops, and wind up with some bank minion telling me all was well. So I stop at a gas station to test it; card no work. I get home, hoping it's just a delay thing, and figure putting a few bucks in my GoG wallet is a good cheap test; still no work. I call up the bank, and this time get a rep who tells me "oh, it's activated, but hey, your card is frozen because of the fraud." Turns out the clown that put in for my replacement card checked "card damaged" so the new card has the same number as the old card...but they are issuing yet another new card and apologize for the 200 mile inconvenience that I will have to do again next week. Fornicators.

Of course! In my experience, though, in specialized industries you tend to run into the issue that certain organizations/authorities have a very particular idea on how things should be done. Any average editor might get your content reading well but they wouldn't be much help in getting you approval since they have no idea what needs to actually be changed in order to maximize your chances.

Pretty much the same situation as with grant writing or with investment proposals. Proofreading is straight forward enough but I'm of no help in actually increasing the likelihood of success. It's something that really does require someone who knows the environment and I, well, don't. I'm not a smarty pants.
Honestly this sounds like a niche market opportunity that might be worth looking into. I have a feeling there are a lot of grad students and scientists who would gladly pay someone to edit their manuscripts if the editor is versed in what some organizations/authorities think should be done. Though of course I'm probably underestimating how much time and effort it would take to get versed in something like that. But anyways if there's a university near you it might be something to look into if it's not a totally crazy idea.

Tim, given that it was the bank's minions who screwed up, at least they should pay for your gas.

Tim, given that it was the bank's minions who screwed up, at least they should pay for your gas.

Tried that, but it led to too many questions about why I can't come up with a closer address to get my replacement cards sent to, so I dropped it.

Eh? Isn't ‘I live in X so you should send my card to X’ valid enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom