1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants XLVIII: Worst. Thread Title. Ever!

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by choxorn, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReindeerThistle

ReindeerThistle Zimmerwald Left

@Phrossack: I rest my case... I will always remember The King's Speech as that publicly-funded Brit attempt to make royalty relevant and True Grit as just another Cohen Brothers film with Jeff Bridges in his third incarnation as The Dude.

@VRWCAgent: Tru Dat viz Land of the Lost. But my favorite moment in a vintage car was NOT cruising... It was in the back seat of a '66 Mustang.....never mind. :)

Sent via mobile -- but not like the one I had in the eighties -- THAT one looked like a walkie-talkie... And sounded like one, too. Yeah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..

2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I hate the Big Lebowski. Stupid movie

3. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

There are only two things I hate: People who hate other people based on their tastes, and people who don't like The Big Lebowski.

4. ReindeerThistle

Okay, never saw The Big Lebowski. But when you work with a guy for three weeks on a job and every day he says "You know what Lenin said --"; "I am the Walrus?" And then does The Dude impressions....Well, let's just say I don't wanna see it.

Sent via mobile; apologies to the Cohen Brothers fans...

Footnote: Miller's Crossing did kinda kick butt...

5. JohannaK

Coen, without h. D:

6. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Yeah, I love pretty much every Coen brothers movie but this one left me cold. It seemed to try too hard.

Fargo seems effortless in it's brilliance by comparison.

7. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

An old acquaintance of mine from an online political roleplay game was fanatically obsessed with that movie. :cringe:

Rant: For some reason, this computer hates my parents' wi-fi. It took over an hour to finally connect. :mad:

8. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Well, I must say I sat down to watch the King's Speech at someone's house with a sinking heart. Being something of a republican I was ready to hate it with a passion.

How surprised was I? I was genuinely moved. It's a nicely crafted movie. A simple human story.

I don't understand why you thought it was an attempt to make royalty relevant. Royalty isn't relevant at all. And I'm surprised the UK continues to fund it.

True Grit is that quite old movie with John Wayne in it. I don't think the Coen brothers were in the business then. I could be wrong. I'll look it up.

edit: Yup, 1969. It was OK. I'm not sure why they've remade it. I remember the Mad magazine spoof on it, too.

9. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

RL works a bit different ;).

Besides a half tray of Pizza, I now also have a good part of Spaghetti over. Dammit, I'll get fat again :mad:.

10. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

When cooking for others, I make it a rule to tell them I don't want anything left over. And if there is any, I make them take it with them. I actually got rid of quite a lot of strawberry sponge cake, last weekend, this way.

(Serves them right, for coming here, wearing out the carpets tramping up and down, using the toilet paper, and washing their hands! Tsk!)

11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Haven't seen Fargo but will watch it on your excellent advice. As for your comments on Big Lebowski - spot on I say. The plot was all over the place and contrived and I just felt like Lebowski was a stoner* dumbarse who said some 'catchy' things. Honestly, his dialogue belonged in a Tarantino movie as fully half of all the dialogue in his movies are supposed to be catchy takeaways meant to get stuck in teenagers brains so they can go around quoting them incessantly cuz that's a cool/smart thing to do.

*I don't object to stoners in the least, just stupid stoners, which is more about me objecting to stupid people in general than having anything to do with stoners. I also don't think stoner = stupid fwiw before someone attacks me.

Oh wait, Neomega's not here to tell me about the fluoride I put in his toothpaste...:lol:
    Isn't that a pain when your computer won't connect to Wi-Fi? The network at my 'Science and Technology' University is next to useless (and is fully useless during the normal school year when more people are on the network).

12. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

You took The Big Lebowski at face value then. It isn't Cheech and Chong, y'know.

13. JohannaK

When the plot is all over the place, it gives it all a real feel. Hell yeah.

14. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I even tried that!
    But she'll not be at home tomorrow, so I could not force it upon her :/.
    So I guess that means tomorrow again Pizza twice, and Thursday Spaghetti.
    Oh well, life could be worse :D.

15. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

i feel quite ill at the moment

16. ReindeerThistle

Cf my earlier posts. Not a fan of the Cone, Cohan, Cohen, Khan or Kone brothers.

Sent via mobile; the kind you forget you have in your pocket when you sit down...

Please explain...
    It's not the Taco Bell, is it? I cook swiss chard in a steamer and drink the run off water. Huey Long called it "pot liquor," it is very purifying. I eat the chard, of course, with olive oil and kosher salt and vingar. Good stuff, Maynard!

17. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Khan? Kone? Why do you disapprove of Indian cricketers and African footballers? That's rasist.

18. ReindeerThistle

Apologies. I meant no offense. Totally accidental. I do not follow cricket ir football. Though, around World Cup time, I get kinda Western Hemisphere-centric and root for whichever South or North American team makes it to the finals....

Sent via mobile; a thousand apologies to the Khans and Kones.

19. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Concentric rings of loyalty are cool!

KC beats STL!
    Missouri spanks Kansas!
    Big 8 (yeah, I said Big 8 cuz we ruled then) spanks ACC
    American whips Canada
    North America pummels South America
    New World makes Old World its bit, er, it beats old world
    EARTH NUKES MARS

20. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Severe back pain, and out of nowhere.

1. Not caused by sex or surfing, which I could live with as the price of a good time.
    2. 2.30pm and I've gone home trying to self-medicate with ibproprufen, codeine and vodka.
    3. The mobile keeps ringing with work stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.