Random Raves XLV: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't really have to be one or the other, Mr. Phros.

But of course you'd argue it's irrational. Depression convinces you that you're right to think so negatively. It relies on cyclic feedback.

That's not exactly true. Sure, there's a world of difference between depression and schizophrenia but as a mental illness, depression vary much warps reality for the affected. There are vanishingly few scenarios where suicide is a valid outcome yet it's something the depressed are at serious risk of. Their reality is such that they see a horrible outcome as a net positive and go through with it. How you feel has a massive impact on how you perceive the world because we're animals, not Turing machines. It's supposed to be like that. Depression tilts reality in a predictable and difficult way for those afflicted. Suicide is an extreme example but there are a variety of adverse behaviors that depressed people engage in because their worlds work (and look to them) very different from non-depressed people.

That's my experience dealing with it anyways.

I was going to say the same thing, that depression warps reality, but it doesn't really cause a break with reality in the same sense as psychosis does.

I'd argue it's irrational to be bright and cheery when things are terrible and getting worse constantly. That, to me, is a pretty clear denial of reality purely for the sake of happiness. I try to believe in things because they're true, not because they're cheery. You can't go through life believing your childhood pets actually just went to live on a farm, so to speak.
Why do you think you have to be bright and cheery to not be depressed? Those things are not antonyms. It's still possible to have a really poopy week and be pissed at the world and sad about your dog dying and still not be depressed. They are all different things and can exist at the same time. But when you're depressed, you're mostly just depressed. That's how it changes your worldview, everything is poopy, everyone sucks, nothing is fun, nothing to look forward too and oh yeah it's never going to end (so your brain will tell you). That's irrational.

When I was depressed what I mostly felt was emptiness and hopelessness, not active sadness or suffering or a sense that things were very terrible. And I was tired all the damn time.

I was going to say the same thing, that depression warps reality, but it doesn't really cause a break with reality in the same sense as psychosis does.
It can sometimes manifest as more a difference in degree than kind. Depression can make people think and do some truly crazy stuff, even if they aren't hearing voices or whatever. But yeah, in all but most the extreme cases it truly is a difference of kind rather than degree.

I don't want to derail the Raves thread of all threads to discuss depression! :lol:

Maybe this calls for a separate thread on the rationality of depression?

I look forward to making one post in that thread and then abandoning it the second someone confronts me.

I look forward to making one post in that thread and then abandoning it the second someone confronts me.
Sounds cryptic but okay

Hey, we made you laugh, Phrossack. :)

I daresay that a format such as this one might give you the wrong impression that we are antagonising you, but we are not.

Finally the first volume of my HP Lovecraft translation is published and available in bookstores. I hope it will do well, despite some friction with the editor... (and some rather bad edits of his, which never would be in my own text).
Hopefully the next volume will have none of that - better co-operation and generally more time spent by myself too...).

I replaced the sink hardware in bathroom this morning; I was expecting it to take about three hours, but it only took half that. And no leaks or extra trips to the hardware store!

Unpossible! Hoax! Fake news! Pics or it didn't happen!

It's axiomatic that home improvement projects always take double the time you budgeted for them, plus two trips to the hardware store for little items you didn't realize you needed (parts, tools).

Unpossible! Hoax! Fake news! Pics or it didn't happen!

It's axiomatic that home improvement projects always take double the time you budgeted for them, plus two trips to the hardware store for little items you didn't realize you needed (parts, tools).
Ask and ye shall receive!

IMG_3271.JPG

Oh, sure, that's a picture of a sink.

It's not a picture of you fixing a sink in an hour and a half when you'd budgeted three, now, is it?

If he has been taking pictures while doing it, it probably would have taken three. ;)

Always good to see a job well done.

Finally the first volume of my HP Lovecraft translation is published and available in bookstores. I hope it will do well, despite some friction with the editor... (and some rather bad edits of his, which never would be in my own text).
Hopefully the next volume will have none of that - better co-operation and generally more time spent by myself too...).
*Adds "learn to read Greek" to the "to-do" list...*

Oh, sure, that's a picture of a sink.

It's not a picture of you fixing a sink in an hour and a half when you'd budgeted three, now, is it?
I guess I could dig the old set of faucets out of the recycling and post a picture of those. All the rest you will just have to accept on faith. :pIMG_3273.JPG

My wife and I took our son to the aquarium. While looking at the bigger fish and sharks, my son wanted me to hold him over mommy for the first time ever. It was kind of special bonding moment. Plus my wife thought it was cute and it gave her arms some well deserved rest.

We suspect it was just some survival instinct where he assumed I would better be able to protect him from sharks since I'm bigger and stuff. Jokes on him though, I'm pretty sure my wife could kick my ass.

I guess I could dig the old set of faucets out of the recycling and post a picture of those. All the rest you will just have to accept on faith. :pView attachment 521249
I do, actually, and congratulations. There's nothing that feels better than beating that First Axiom of Home Maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom