Random Raves XLV: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that difficult. But you'd better get both eyes working again first.
Of course, since there's not much I can read in any language right now unless I have good light, the text is large and clear enough, and it's not on a white background.

I've completed the first page of my tax return (and even managed to get my printing to stay within the proper space; you should have seen my signature the other day - it went all over the place because I couldn't see the signature line correctly).

As for Greek, I won't be starting completely from scratch - I can recite the alphabet and write a few of the letters. I know a few words (but my pronunciation would probably give Kyriakos a giggling fit that would last for at least an hour). Alas, I cannot string two words together to make any coherent result happen, so it would take quite awhile before being able to read much.

As for Greek, I won't be starting completely from scratch - I can recite the alphabet and write a few of the letters. I know a few words (but my pronunciation would probably give Kyriakos a giggling fit that would last for at least an hour). Alas, I cannot string two words together to make any coherent result happen, so it would take quite awhile before being able to read much.

That sounds like me.

I could talk to Kyr, but he'd have to travel 2500 years backwards in time for me to do so.

I could talk to Kyr, but he'd have to travel 2500 years backwards in time for me to do so.
Given that his avatar is based on an emperor who lived back in medieval times, how much farther back are you? :confused:

You'll puzzle it out.

I don't laugh at pronounciation of greek; my own pronounciation of english isn't that great either ;) In fact at first (first year at uni) i consciously tried to sound more american, but gave up after a few months.
I only once laughed with Takhisis, because he coined the supposedly greek term "candidatos" (to mean candidate). That just doesn't exist :p

Not in all cases; if the text isn't Homer it can (in most cases) still be read to a significant degree without knowledge of ancient greek. Of course the best example is the (rather very simply written) new testament, which doesn't need any ancient greek knowledge cause it is basically the same ;)
I did study ancient greek at highschool, for two years, but don't remember much at all.

I don't laugh at pronounciation of greek; my own pronounciation of english isn't that great either ;) In fact at first (first year at uni) i consciously tried to sound more american, but gave up after a few months.
Why did you want to sound 'Murican? I thought you were in Ingerland.
Kyriakos said:
I only once laughed with Takhisis, because he coined the supposedly greek term "candidatos" (to mean candidate). That just doesn't exist :p
Of course it doesn't, any decent Latinist knows that. But I definitely can and will clown around with language whenever I can.

*starts to think of tongue-twisters for Kyría Valka*

:confused:

Did you forget a comma in there?
Kyria is just Greek for "Mrs" :)
Masculine is Kyrios (Mr).
Kyriakos is a monastic name, meaning "of the Lord (God)". The non-clergy variation (which is my own) is also written as Kyriakos, but the stress there is on "a" while on the monastic it is on "o".

Rave: this Sunday has been impressively unproductive. And there's still several hours left to waste. :)
Words to live by. In my case it's justified by a summer flu. :cringe:

As I understand it, kyria is just the Greek version of the Latin domina.

That's not exactly true. Sure, there's a world of difference between depression and schizophrenia but as a mental illness, depression vary much warps reality for the affected. There are vanishingly few scenarios where suicide is a valid outcome yet it's something the depressed are at serious risk of. Their reality is such that they see a horrible outcome as a net positive and go through with it. How you feel has a massive impact on how you perceive the world because we're animals, not Turing machines. It's supposed to be like that. Depression tilts reality in a predictable and difficult way for those afflicted. Suicide is an extreme example but there are a variety of adverse behaviors that depressed people engage in because their worlds work (and look to them) very different from non-depressed people.

That's my experience dealing with it anyways.

My dad had schizophrenia diagnosed in his autumn years , I think he might have been depressed too. He had this notorious compulsion to tidy things up and wash his hands very thoroughly. He couldn't stand when something was out of place and he always was straightening things up for a dozen of minutes per item. It was hard taking care of him because he was very nervous about touching his things and only let persons he knew know his rituals do that. (in fact most of the things he did was ritualized). The condidion started in his mid years progresively getting worse over the years.

But this is suuposed to be a raves thread .... sorry :blush:

So am I being called "Mrs." or "Mistress"? :confused:

Only Borachio would call me "Mrs." and it was a nickname I didn't mind from him as he would call other people by formalized versions of their usernames.

So I'm wondering what brought this on?

:woohoo: All the hard work on filing my taxes is done. I get to pay less than expected!

Yes, the Greeks and the barb Romans both agreed that the latter had better copy from Greek.
Get a flu shot next year!
It's not on the list of free vaccines, and anyway the trick is not to get caught in ice-cold rain.

Wait, I've just realised that you're trying to invaldiate my excuses for playing turn-based strategy videogames and watching Steve Coogan. Bad Snerk, bad! *sprays water at Snerk as reprimand*
So am I being called "Mrs." or "Mistress"? :confused:
Mistress as in Ms. rather than consensual sexual partner in a non-equal relationship.
:woohoo: All the hard work on filing my taxes is done. I get to pay less than expected!
Important question: less than expected by whom?

Rant/rave
When it was frigid outside one of our motion sensor lights wasn't working. Since it's part of a pair I had to look awhile online to find a match. Found one online from home depot for 36 bucks. It get's delivered and I pick it up but since it's warmer the light is working again. So I figure I'll wait till till spring to swap it out. So it's been sitting in the garage for weeks and I get a notice from paypal that there's a charge reversal for 36 bucks credited to my account. So I look in the garage and while it's the right item and the shipping label has my name on it, when I look at the packing slip, it's made out to some dude in NJ. Since it's been a couple of months, I figure I'll just let this one slide and avoid the hassle to get them to figure out what when wrong to correct it. Wohoo,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom