Random Raves XXVI: I Get High With a Little Help from My Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting story.

Anyway, I'm making a return to modding Civ4.

That uses Python right? According to the book I've been reading about 900 something pages in, I am now an Official Python Programmer, even though I know next to nothing about application-level programming, yay! It said to be sure to pick up a t-shirt next time I'm online...which doesn't exist:p. So, I made my own while I was bored.

http://www.customink.com/designs/python/unf0-000t-r1jg

Breaking Bad stop being so good.

I'm staying up way too late for you.

I'm starting coming up with some interesting ideas for fiction. It'll take time, effort, and a lot of help, but I might have something here. Could make novels or comics with it.

I was trying to port the Black Mesa: Source NPCs into Garry's Mod.

It didn't go as well as I expected, at least for the scientists (The HECU marine guy came out all right)

I'm starting coming up with some interesting ideas for fiction. It'll take time, effort, and a lot of help, but I might have something here. Could make novels or comics with it.

Awesome. I wish I had such ideas. :(

Well, I applied for 14 or so jobs yesterday with 9 companies, hopefully something sticks.

I also had a much better online application experience than I have had before. Only a couple of firms had websites that are complete disasters (looking at you, Parker). If I had known the website Taleo had existed before yestersay, I could have saved myself a ton of work. About 2/3 of the firms I applied to used Taleo to run their application process and if I had an account with them, I could have one-click uploaded my resume and all my info to those websites. Oh well, I still got a lot done yesterday.
This week is going to be super busy.

Well, it's kind of a rant that it's come to this, but still a rave that submitting my English assignment late is only a reduction of 10% — now I can focus on studying for my Spanish exam today and quit worrying about English on top of that.

My business textbook is really subtly racist/really hilarious. It's essentially saying "If you have a normal Anglo-Saxon last name (e.g. Smith), it isn't a bad idea to name your business. however, if you have a foreign last name (e.g. Srivhantinivasthian), it's a bad idea" using those specific names.

But, on the other hand, and I'm not saying your textbook isn't racist, might it just be that potential customers would find it easier to remember/refer to/relate to a familiar sounding, easy (relatively speaking) to pronounce name?

Then again, an employer or landlord might equally turn away an ethnic person, giving the excuse that his employees or residents wouldn't like it. While he, himself, wasn't racist at all, honestly. I remember it being done quite a lot.

Over-achiever! Or was it just too easy?

But well done, anyway. I expect you were well prepared for it.

I studied the hell out of her previous tests this weekend. I was also up at 430 this morning and used the time to study some more. She actually dumbed the test down from last semester, which was dumbed down from the semester before. She is new so I guess she's trying to get it right.

Thank you for the kind words!

My business textbook is really subtly racist/really hilarious. It's essentially saying "If you have a normal Anglo-Saxon last name (e.g. Smith), it isn't a bad idea to name your business. however, if you have a foreign last name (e.g. Srivhantinivasthian), it's a bad idea" using those specific names.

That isn't racism. In fact, it's basic common sense.

That isn't racism. In fact, it's basic common sense.

I wouldn't say its common sense for those who grew up knowing people with last names like "Srivhantinivasthian".

"I'm just going down to Smith's"

"I'm just going down to Srivhantinivasthian's"

Let's be reasonable here, the second one isn't going to work. People throw the racism card around much too easily. Perhaps in a culture where Srivhantinivasthian is a common name, but the average Joe will have no connection to it at all.

I miss Anglo-Saxon names. What with immigrants, you no longer see names like Leofwine, Hroðgar, Leofdæg, and so on. Bloody Normans.

Spoiler :
Did I mention that I managed to mirror the entirety of Planet Half-Life to my computer?

It took something like 3 days and I ended up with 5 gigabytes of data

Edit: Whoa, I got 1000 post. Shall I make the next thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom