Random Raves XXXIII: Let us all eat chocolate and rejoice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tak is only being pedantic about it because people so often use it when they should be using subjectively instead. Let me give you a few examples.

"Rap music is objectively crappy." >> This is actually just my opinion and should therefore be subjectively.

"America is objectively the greatest nation in the world." >> I so want to say this is correct usage, but of course it is just like the first example.

"The Pacific Ocean is subjectively salty." >> Well no, it's salty, period. Actually, that's a bad use of either objectively OR subjectively imho, but subjectively is WAY off here.

"Dragon Age: Origins is subjectively the best damned PC video game ever made." >>> Proper usage.

Oh I agree. I was pointing out to the people responding that they were missing the point.

My grades are in, and I don't officially have to work again for a whole month, while I still get paid!

Tak is only being pedantic about it because people so often use it when they should be using subjectively instead. Let me give you a few examples.

"Rap music is objectively crappy." >> This is actually just my opinion and should therefore be subjectively.

"America is objectively the greatest nation in the world." >> I so want to say this is correct usage, but of course it is just like the first example.

"The Pacific Ocean is subjectively salty." >> Well no, it's salty, period. Actually, that's a bad use of either objectively OR subjectively imho, but subjectively is WAY off here.

"Dragon Age: Origins is subjectively the best damned PC video game ever made." >>> Proper usage.

"most fraternity brothers and sorority sisters at uva are basic af." >> proper usage

The pacific ocean is not salty. It is less saline than the atlantic

-K hawk

Replacing objectively with subjectively makes it completely irrelevant and redundant. Like in your example with the Pacific, it's like saying "Grass is objectively green".

The reason we use "objectively" in personal opinions and "literally" in figurative speech is because it's exactly the opposite of what it is, offering your statement as something that is self-evident, reinforcing the argument (it's like saying "rap music is super sh*tty"). So no, I wouldn't say that your examples are "proper" usage. Not unless you literally live in the literal universe where everything is taken literally.

some people just emanate badness. though _random_ should not confuse douchiness with being basic.
Yes, some people can be generally douchebags to everyone.
Watcha harkin' at?
I be harkin' to Mongolian Music at this pointe in tyme.
By acting like a combination of Chad Kroeger and Justin Bieber.
Why does the autocensor allow you to post those names?
Tbh, it's questionable whether we do. I'd say we speak 'strayan rather than English, and the less said of the Kiwis the better.
Is this because of the rugby thing?
I'm pretty sure Takhisis is just being pedantic about use of "objectively"
Actually, I wasn't. Poe's law is acting in my favour.

Of course the Pacific Ocean is subjectively salty. Comapred to the Dead Sea it's almost like a cup of HFCS.
Replacing objectively with subjectively makes it completely irrelevant and redundant. Like in your example with the Pacific, it's like saying "Grass is objectively green".

The reason we use "objectively" in personal opinions and "literally" in figurative speech is because it's exactly the opposite of what it is, offering your statement as something that is self-evident, reinforcing the argument (it's like saying "rap music is super sh*tty"). So no, I wouldn't say that your examples are "proper" usage. Not unless you literally live in the literal universe where everything is taken literally.
People who use 'literally' when they mean 'figuratively/metaphorically' should be executed.

I be harkin' to Mongolian Music at this pointe in tyme.
Ooh, what kind? Which band? Thought I was the only one.

People who use 'literally' when they mean 'figuratively/metaphorically' should be executed.
Quite. We must defend the language from these ill-informed interlopers.

That's what I was listening to previously. If you were on fiftychat you'd know already.

You're literally advocating for mass murder there.

You don't think he meant what he said literally?

Obligingly yours . . .

I doubt that. I'm quite sure that he just really, really hates people who don't share his view of using words. Like, figuratively.
I would ride a Churchill Crocodile at them if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom