Status
Not open for further replies.

I was cleaning out an old folder on my hard drive. I even listened a bit. I don't know how to feel.
I prefer the George Baker Selection version of "Una Paloma Blanca". I taught myself how to play it on the organ (my dad had it on one of his records), but this version is one of the reasons I decided to relearn the recorder:

Myron Floren wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice for accordion music, though.

But is it disco polka?

Lindsay Lohan has announced she's making music again after more than a decade.

My initial response was: "Lindsay Lohan made music?"

Turns out, she did.

Pretty generic mid-00s pop. :dunno:

I need to stop looking at all the cheap games available on GOG.

I'm thinking a Triscuit is worth three normal crackers, what when you consider the shredded-wheat material, and that tight weave, and then the slight extra thickness and square footage.

Test it yourself. Chew a Triscuit on one side of your mouth, and three, say, Sociables, on the other. Both sides will generate about the same amount of cracker pulp once you've chewed thoroughly.

The Triscut also pairs better with cheese that doesn't come out of an individual wrapper.

I'm thinking a Triscuit is worth three normal crackers, what when you consider the shredded-wheat material, and that tight weave, and then the slight extra thickness and square footage.

Test it yourself. Chew a Triscuit on one side of your mouth, and three, say, Sociables, on the other. Both sides will generate about the same amount of cracker pulp once you've chewed thoroughly.

Triscuit pizzas can be a decent appetizer.

Turns out, she did.

There's a whole generation of girls who came up with Disney or Nickelodeon who both acted and sang.

Turns out, she did.

I survived 45 seconds into the clip.
There's a whole generation of girls who came up with Disney or Nickelodeon who both acted and sang.
Yeah, some of them are quite talented but somehow they are always herded into ‘radio-friendly’ riskless pop. How does this even work? It's like blasted K-pop.

I survived 45 seconds into the clip.

Yeah, some of them are quite talented but somehow they are always herded into ‘radio-friendly’ riskless pop. How does this even work? It's like blasted K-pop.

It works because 90% of American radio is owned by like 2 companies.

It must be some sort of morbid curiosity mechanism.

But is it disco polka?
Fun fact, there is a church in the Twin Cities that does mass accompanied by polka music.
(This is a different church, but gets the sensation across.)

Turns out, she did.

Fun Fact: Somehow she ended up featuring on a Duran Duran track.
Not one of their better tracks for the underwhelming Paper Gods album*, but that literally the only thing I how about her and music.

*Bit of a shame given their previous album, All You Need Is Now was easily their second best album since Rio.

Fun Fact: Somehow she ended up featuring on a Duran Duran track.
Not one of their better tracks for the underwhelming Paper Gods album*, but that literally the only thing I how about her and music.

*Bit of a shame given their previous album, All You Need Is Now was easily their second best album since Rio.

The Duran Duran part was decent. The Lohan part... nah.

So, uh, today I learned that Duran Duran released a studio album in 2015. I'm really only aware of their first few albums.

So, uh, today I learned that Duran Duran released a studio album in 2015. I'm really only aware of their first few albums.
Once you get past Notorious it is a pretty underwhelming discography. I found the Wedding Album too saccharine and some early 90's Oasis vibes. All You Need Is Now is full of some excellent bangers.

Paper Gods only really had a couple decent tracks* and most of them were Nick Rhodes synth tracks.

*The eponymous track, You Kill Me With Silence, What Are The Chances, and Universe Alone.

˙uʍop-ǝpᴉsdn ʎluǝppns sᴉ ƆℲƆ ʇnq 'pǝuǝddɐɥ ʇɐɥʍ ʍouʞ ʇ,uop I

Hey, the forum's suddenly legible.

Hey, the forum's suddenly legible.

˙ƆℲƆ ƃuᴉsʍoɹq ǝlᴉɥʍ pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ uo ƃuᴉpuɐʇs doʇs plnoɥs noʎ ǝqʎɐW

But is it disco polka?
"Una Paloma Blanca" is a song that can be performed in a variety of genres. My dad's record was of a couple of local artists doing country/western songs.

When we had a thread a few years ago about polka music (seriously), someone posted some videos and asked, "Is this polka"?. This led me to some YouTube research and I realized that I've heard this song as a country/western piece, a folk dance, a polka, and the disco version I posted above.

I'm not sure what you'd call the version I eventually came up with on the organ. Most of the musical influences I grew up with include folk and the sort of dance hall waltzes-polkas-schottisches my grandparents enjoyed in the '30s and '40s onward.

But I instantly fell in love with the YT version I posted because of the recorder/organ. I play both those instruments, and this is something I want to learn to do myself. This arrangement is very different from the one I used.

Generations, plural, from Annette Funicello to present. Lisa Welchel was one of the girls in the New Mickey Mouse Club (she played Blair on The Facts of Life, for anyone familiar with that show). Last time I saw her, she competed on Survivor, with only one person figuring out who she really was.

Fun fact, there is a church in the Twin Cities that does mass accompanied by polka music.
(This is a different church, but gets the sensation across.)
*insert covering-your-ears smiley*

That is awful. :cringe: The acoustics are terrible, and I can't even hear the violin. Good polka music should make you want to dance, whether you know how to or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom