Status
Not open for further replies.
if anyone didn't already know, online IQ tests aren't real

I know that. Even IQ and all-purpose as a concept may not be real. Plenty of people who excel in some areas and totally fail at others.

Was it really important to you to be finely differentiated?

My high school just took everyone measured 141 and above and put us in "gifted" classes, which we annoyed teachers and administration alike by calling "special ed." In there the numbers didn't really matter because we very quickly determined for ourselves who stood out from the "slow kids." I often wonder how badly scarring it was for a kid who was actually a borderline genius to get segregated out and thrown in a class where they were doomed to being "a slow kid."

A former colleague of mine taught for a while at the Ecole Polytechnique in Paris, which must be an extremely competitive university. Only top tier candidates get in, and if you get through, you already have a position set for you afterwards.
She said because there were only the top students in there, who were previously the top pupils in their class, this didn't exactly benefit all of theirs mental health. Some were used to be on the top, now were on the bottom. There were quite some mental health issues at that uni, apparently.

Should we have a thread to talk about personal stats?
Yes, that would be helpful.

How does that online site work? The only time I ever played an online game even remotely like this was a PBEM game of the original Civilization board game (it was a blast, even though I played Crete which should never be played by any but an expert player, which I'm not).

A former colleague of mine taught for a while at the Ecole Polytechnique in Paris, which must be an extremely competitive university. Only top tier candidates get in, and if you get through, you already have a position set for you afterwards.
She said because there were only the top students in there, who were previously the top pupils in their class, this didn't exactly benefit all of theirs mental health. Some were used to be on the top, now were on the bottom. There were quite some mental health issues at that uni, apparently.

I make a similar observation about professional athletes all the time. Generally speaking one teen age kid who has the physical capacity to grow up into an NFL player makes his high school team effectively a powerhouse. That kid isn't likely to graduate high school and head off to nebbish state university, he's going to get recruited to the top NCAA programs in the country. When Cam Newton got drafted by the far and away worst team in the NFL he "knew all about" losing; after all, in college he lost a national championship game...once. When the Panthers started his first season (unsurprisingly) with a six game losing streak he practically went insane.

Dunno how to feel about this day. I got about 60 to 70% of what I needed to do done, and I did some other stuff that wasn't on the list. But the things I didn't do will make tomorrow and likely Monday busier than they need to be.

The belt

(half-joking)

1% would not make interstellar travel practical but it would make it possible, which is the endstate I want to achieve. And it would massively open up the solar system to exploration and exploitation. You would not need to wait for orbital alignments at that speed - you'd point the ship in the direction you want to go and punch it. ~long redacted screed about g-limitations~

Another random thought-
At some point some group was the last to eat a horse in North America before they went extinct. I wonder if any of their descendants stuck around long enough to ride them and become legendary after they were re-introduced?

The belt

(half-joking)

1% would not make interstellar travel practical but it would make it possible, which is the endstate I want to achieve. And it would massively open up the solar system to exploration and exploitation. You would not need to wait for orbital alignments at that speed - you'd point the ship in the direction you want to go and punch it. ~long redacted screed about g-limitations~
Beware of Martin Humphries.* :scan:

*(reference to the 4-volume Asteroid Wars arc of Ben Bova's Grand Tour series).

I'm watching a documentary about a day in the life of Earth. One segment was about Chinstrap penguins, and I had no idea that Chinstrap chicks are so cute! The segment was about a male Chinstrap who'd gone hunting 50 miles out into the Antarctic Ocean, and once he got back to land, he had a 2-mile walk to the colony to find his mate and chicks. This is a commute he does every other day.

Humans are so spoiled...

This is what I’ve been up to with my spare time due to the ongoing situation:

I just realized that my Star Trek Online KDF main character has a forehead like Icheb’s (so, a Brunali), but also akin to those seen in:

Dala’s, Emi’s, Eska’s, Maturin’s, Species 10026, Species 571, the Automated Personnel Units, the Boralaan, the Borothan, the…Entharans (ughhh their ridge brings out Trypophobia in me, for some reason), the Farians, the Ikaarans, the Kaitlen, the Kesprytt, the Kobliad, the Krole, the Norcadians, the natives of Peliar Zel, the Palamarians, the Pendari, the Triannons, the Wysanti, Tret’s, Tria’s, Zahl’s, and a few others I’ve probably overlooked. But I’ve literally raked the Memory Alpha Species List a few times over, so it can't be that many.

I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised. It’s one of the easiest prosthetics to make: a strip of rubber or some such applied to the nose and forehead, it should turn up a lot. Hey – easier to cosplay too, if I ever get around to it.

Of these, only the Farians make sense, since they are in the Alpha Quadrant and have an embassy with the Klingon Empire.

Farius is a relative ********, barely united, filled with crime, still using paper money. It's only claim to prominence is that it's along a trade route that just so happens to pass by DS9, so it's a route charted and known that other powers can use. Betacanon gives it like eight cities, most of them ending with -port, because that's all Farius could build itself up to be: a big truck rest stop, hoping that since everyone used it, no one would outright take them over.

The Orions are setting up shop there, and as learned in DS9, the Dominion were using it as a way to get to the Orions. Since in STO we do shoot up a lot of Orions, I guess that could be fitted into a backstory somehow.

My character and the custom-made boff of the same species is…short. Maybe a case of genetic engineering, to fit better in space? Smaller, but more compact for easier space ops. I guess.

Last edited:
…the person could be a 100% recycling maniac who stores all bodily effluences into containers in order to ensure all the plants are ‘or(e)ganic’.

Funniest thing I saw this week...not a big competition since I haven't been out much.

I pull up at the stop sign to get out of the neighborhood, making a right turn onto a medium main street. When I look to the left the only traffic is a pretty distant SUV/truck, so I can easily make the turn and I do, but they are close enough to recognize the distinct black hood/white roofline combination of a cop so I know it's an SUV...but there's something weird about it. I pull up at the light in the left turn lane waiting to turn onto the really main street and take the opportunity to give it a thorough look and I recognize it looks weird because there is something even bigger behind it so it shows above the roofline. That has to mean it is not only big, but really close.

So I'm sitting there contemplating this, because the streets have a whole lot less traffic than usual and openly tailgating the cops is just too far outside normalcy to not be curious. They come rolling up to the light and sure enough this 4x4 pickup with big ol' offroader tires is right on this cop's ass. Then the cop (as usual) California rolls his right turn onto the highway and this guy rolls it right behind him.

I mean, I've been openly disrespectful to law enforcement in my day, and said some absolutely shocking things that are even more shocking because there's actually no law against saying them...but this guy pretty much spent half a mile saying "look at me look at me look at me" and then just ignored a basic traffic law. What was this guy thinking?

if the cop did it, it must be ok

but more seriously, if the cop arrests him for committing the same casual crime as himself he has no authority as he is a corrupt element.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom