Random Thoughts IV: the Abyss Gazes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a perspective. It may give me too much credit though. While I was not trying to demean women, I also wasn't trying to shine any spotlights. I was just trying to be funny. The question is whether that is, in itself, a motive with sufficient inherent nobility to provide allowance for the possibility that it could be taken as intended to demean women by some people, even if they are few in number.

A question of major importance here is whether if one of those people were here and told you that they found it offensive, how would you respond? Would you respond by invalidating their concerns because "I wasn't trying to demean women" or would you apologize and acknowledge the concerns as valid?

A question of major importance here is whether if one of those people were here and told you that they found it offensive, how would you respond? Would you respond by invalidating their concerns because "I wasn't trying to demean women" or would you apologize and acknowledge the concerns as valid?

Heck, I already acknowledged their concerns as valid. The problem is the apologize part. If I apologize for something, I have a sincere intention not to do it again, and the truth is I am likely to tell a potentially unacceptable joke pretty much any time it strikes me to make someone laugh, and I try to make at least one person laugh every day. I'm not going to demean the act of apologizing into what someone once called 'asking for permission to do it again.' I'm sure you've known someone like that.

Heck, I already acknowledged their concerns as valid. The problem is the apologize part. If I apologize for something, I have a sincere intention not to do it again, and the truth is I am likely to tell a potentially unacceptable joke pretty much any time it strikes me to make someone laugh, and I try to make at least one person laugh every day. I'm not going to demean the act of apologizing into what someone once called 'asking for permission to do it again.' I'm sure you've known someone like that.

I dunno. I guess my advice would be to be careful about the audience of jokes like that. Some jokes are obviously just so offensive they shouldn't be made no matter the audience, but I think there is probably a certain amount of wiggle room described by "what they don't know can't hurt 'em".

Does anyone else think it's kind of ironic that people who use/post the NPC meme exhibit without fail the exact mental tendencies the meme is supposed to be satirizing?

That's what makes it funny; everyone reacts the same way. Someone posts it thinking "ha ha, I'm the player." First person that comes along says "yeah, ha ha, but I'm the player." Next person says "ha ha, but I'm the player and you're both NPCs." Truth is, we're all clearly NPCs, and if we ever do encounter the player we'll probably get our heads lopped off or take an arrow in the knee or something.

I'll admit that I haven't paid particular attention to Mouthwash, because he mostly talks about Israel and I'm not especially interested - but I can't recall any point where he made explicitly sexist comments, unlike some other posters on here (or used to be on here)

The suffix -oid refers to having the appearance of something, thus a factoid is something that appears to be factual (but isn't).

I was under the impression that a factoid was a bit of trivia or information that might be correct but it doesn't have the full context.

I'll admit that I haven't paid particular attention to Mouthwash, because he mostly talks about Israel and I'm not especially interested - but I can't recall any point where he made explicitly sexist comments, unlike some other posters on here (or used to be on here)

I mean he has called for "enforced monogamy" to solve the social problem of male violence.

I was under the impression that a factoid was a bit of trivia or information that might be correct but it doesn't have the full context.

I think it is correct, but lacks the context to be significant.

Fact: I post a lot, and can be belligerent.

Factoid: My foot's asleep at the moment.

That's what makes it funny; everyone reacts the same way. Someone posts it thinking "ha ha, I'm the player." First person that comes along says "yeah, ha ha, but I'm the player." Next person says "ha ha, but I'm the player and you're both NPCs." Truth is, we're all clearly NPCs, and if we ever do encounter the player we'll probably get our heads lopped off or take an arrow in the knee or something.

I mean the NPC meme I'm familiar with is meant to supposedly demonstrate the lack of capacity for thinking among liberals and the left, it's not about "I am the only unique person in the world", or at least, I've never seen it used that way.

A factoid was originally
Google said:
an assumption or speculation that is reported and repeated so often that it becomes accepted as fact.

Through this process the newer definition

Google said:
a brief or trivial item of news or information.

was adopted, making one of the definitions of factoid an example of the other definition.

The first definition is an example of the second (this is going off the order they are listed in if you google the word).

FWIW, you can generally assume that anyone who speaks positively of bantustans as a solution to inner-city violence in the US is host myriad opinions that are generally frowned among in polite society.

I mean he has called for "enforced monogamy" to solve the social problem of male violence.
Oh yes, I do recall that now that you brought it up.
FWIW, you can generally assume that anyone who speaks positively of bantustans as a solution to inner-city violence in the US is host myriad opinions that are generally frowned among in polite society.

Y I K E S

You guys have largely missed the point here. I'm not claiming people on this site secretly hate me because of my political views, I'm saying that WHEN I engage in political topics I am typically dogpiled and strawmanned into oblivion.

His claim is that the root of this dismissal is that people disagree with him about something else and are just "throwing it in."

No, it isn't, and this is an example of your inability to properly respond to any post of mine.

If @Mouthwash were to throw that in my face at the end of his next defense of Israeli genocides I wouldn't whine about it because it is in fact something I did and that gives ammunition seekers the right to throw it at me.

My primary disagreement with him is about the behavior of his nation state. I don't jump up out of the blue at the end of decrying the latest in Israeli genocides and say "oh by the way you're a sexist too."

Here's the strange thing: I don't talk about Israel all that often, these days. I can't remember the last time I explicitly talked about Israel's military actions. I just went through the last ten pages of my posts on here and could not find a single example.

My suspicion is that simply knowing what my views on the subject are is making you project them out onto all your dealings with me.

Oh dear, you see I feel you're doing it again, you know what I mean?

Yes, me refuting your comments about my sexism just proves further that I am one.

I've certainly made comments about how sexism has a devastating effect on women, and I've provided examples from my own life, not as proofs (you shouldn't need proof sexism is real, I mean I feel denying that is sexism itself, right?) but as opportunities to help people like yourself see my perspective, but I feel like you've always chosen to ignore that. I feel like you're very dismissive of my feelings, and when you do so you demonstrate how you don't really care how women feel.

You said, "men who feel unfairly excluded from romance or sex only do so because they think that women are property." I responded to that, and nothing else.

I've seen you make posts defending misogynists and making suggestions that basically mean enslavement of women, and of course I've spoken out because those types of things are terrifying to me, because it's been literally real in the past and very easily could happen again.

Suggesting that marriage ought to be respected more is advocating the enslavement of women? What?

Too many men still don't respect women and are clearly threatened by women becoming equals, this is simply reality of our world and something people like myself have to fight for every day. And many times I've felt your comments to me are basically saying "Shut up woman, learn your place."

If you really read that out of my posts then maybe you aren't really interested in a discussion here. Maybe applying your experience with men onto others is somehow therapeutic for you?

I'll try to ignore your posts on the topic from now on. You want to use Civfanatics as your place to vent, go ahead.

I'm honored to be smeared in the exact same manner as Dr. Peterson, but you know very well it's a lie.

Yeah, seems like this is my 'Ben Shapiro advocates ethnic cleansing' post. I was fifteen or sixteen years old, thought it was a good way to troll lefties, and have never expressed any similar viewpoint, but people still reach for it whenever they're out of arguments or simply want to denigrate me.

There used to be pro-North-Korea and pro-Stalin lefties on here (and their support was deadly serious) but I don't think I've ever used that as a tool to bludgeon them.

Okay, @Mouthwash, clean slate.

No harking back...how far? 200 posts? To hold Israeli genocide support against you. Next time we cross paths I'll deal with you as brand new from this moment on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom