Random Thoughts IV: the Abyss Gazes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the political compass test because I feel like my positions have changed quite a bit in the last year. I expected it would place me further to the left than last time (I was at roughly -5/-5), but it turned out that I moved slightly to the center (now at -4.25) by the standards of the test, and the larger change is actually that I moved much further into libertarian territory - now at -7.23. Surprised me at first, but then I thought about it, and it does make sense: The points in which I feel I moved further to "the left" are mostly social issues that are represented in the Authoritarian/Libertarian scale on the political compass.

The "People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce."-question gave me a surprisingly hard time given how much I think I value personal freedom, but in the end I did come around to the correct answer.

Last edited:
Political compass is so noughties.
And a very simplified and flawed Bad Test.
I'm against authoritanianism and want to reduce its influence.
Why am I authoritarian if I want to segregate authoritarians and keep them from reproducing ?
It's for the greater good !

One day I'd like to take a roadtrip around the Southeastern US just sampling regional variations of BBQ.

Kind of unavoidable since that's all anyone is exhibiting when they repost memes. Hence memes being crap.

Random thought: "Memes are crap" is literally the dumbest thing I've read today including a bunch of right-wing nonsense

Why is that a special case though? Why is it not equally a concern to allow for the state to incarcerate people? Because, by the same argument, once they have that power, what's stopping them just locking up anyone they want to for arbitrary reasons. Or the right to fine people. Or the right to issue (and withdraw) library cards, etc.

I'm not saying that isn't necessarily a concern of course (there was some concern over the length of time people could be detained without charge under anti-terrorism laws for example), but you can't really grant the state powers to do anything at all if that's the way you think. It also kind of denies the ability of the electorate to influence at any level other than a binary choice, which we know isn't really the case. And to be honest, if the state has the power and the will to start arbitrarily executing people for any reason, completely against the will of the people, then it's not like they really need the permission in the first place.
Basically, it's because death is actually irreversible. A fine can be reimbursed, papers and documentation withdrawn can be reissued, and so on. But there's no real redress for killing somebody.

Basically, it's because death is actually irreversible. A fine can be reimbursed, papers and documentation withdrawn can be reissued, and so on. But there's no real redress for killing somebody.
The devil's in the detail here, but that's not a fair comparison. "Death" is irreversible, but "time spent in jail" for example is also not reversible. You cannot give back the time you stole from a person who you jailed unjustifiably, and you can't give them back the sanity and dignity that they've lost during that time, especially if we're talking about American jails here. You also can't really offer proper compensation for the problems they will have in the future, or at least we usually don't - the amount of money granted per day spent in jail is ridiculously low if you compare it to the negatives.

So any form of punishment has lasting effects that cannot be reversed. The real difference in the death penalty is that we cannot offer compensation to make up for the damage we caused by punishing a person unjustifiably, because the beginning of the punishment is also the end of their existence, which permits us from stopping further punishment, or offering compensation in the future. That is the difference between the death penalty and other forms of punishment, not that it's the only irreversible thing.

You can let people out of jail though. And there is no utility gained from executing someone that isn't gained from imprisoning them for life.

One day I'd like to take a roadtrip around the Southeastern US just sampling regional variations of BBQ.
The best BBQ is in NC. It is pork based and has a vinegar based sauce. The sandwiches include slaw. If a BBQ is beef, then it is not real BBQ. If it has a heavy red sauce, it is not BBQ. If it is not made in NC, it is likely not BBQ.

So, all you really need to do is drive around NC to sample the very best BBQ. :)

Yes, I am an expert on this.

The devil's in the detail here, but that's not a fair comparison. "Death" is irreversible, but "time spent in jail" for example is also not reversible. You cannot give back the time you stole from a person who you jailed unjustifiably, and you can't give them back the sanity and dignity that they've lost during that time, especially if we're talking about American jails here. You also can't really offer proper compensation for the problems they will have in the future, or at least we usually don't - the amount of money granted per day spent in jail is ridiculously low if you compare it to the negatives.

So any form of punishment has lasting effects that cannot be reversed. The real difference in the death penalty is that we cannot offer compensation to make up for the damage we caused by punishing a person unjustifiably, because the beginning of the punishment is also the end of their existence, which permits us from stopping further punishment, or offering compensation in the future. That is the difference between the death penalty and other forms of punishment, not that it's the only irreversible thing.
Oooh but imprisonment can be used for rehabilitation. Death cannot, unless you want to raise people as undead zombies to pay off their debts, but this is not a fantasy setting.
You can let people out of jail though. And there is no utility gained from executing someone that isn't gained from imprisoning them for life.
Oh yes there is, you get to save on costs.
If a BBQ is beef, then it is not real BBQ.
All the junk food you 'muricans eat while watching nonstop team competition broadcasts on days such as today must be getting to you: first I get to see cardgame claim that cheesy breadsticks are better than pizza and now this?

All the junk food you 'muricans eat while watching nonstop team competition broadcasts on days such as today must be getting to you: first I get to see cardgame claim that cheesy breadsticks are better than pizza and now this?
Hmmm...I don't watch any sports at all (exception: UNC in the NCAA March Madness tournament). I do sometimes read sports in the paper when visiting my daughter because her husband is a baseball nut and I try to be able to hold a conversation with him. I don't eat much junk food either, but I am a sucker for McD's fries though.

Cheesy breadsticks can never top a well built veggie pizza! In most places BBQ is a verb, something you do to meat. In NC it is a noun and that makes all the difference. :p

With respect, veggie pizza can't top anything.

The best BBQ is in NC. It is pork based and has a vinegar based sauce. The sandwiches include slaw. If a BBQ is beef, then it is not real BBQ. If it has a heavy red sauce, it is not BBQ. If it is not made in NC, it is likely not BBQ.

So, all you really need to do is drive around NC to sample the very best BBQ. :)

Kansas City specializes in dry rubs and is really good. But yeah NC has awesome mustard-based bbq sauce.

The sandwiches include slaw.
This is the part of "traditional" NC BBQ that I like the least. I don't think the tastes go well together at all.

This is the part of "traditional" NC BBQ that I like the least. I don't think the tastes go well together at all.
There was a time I scraped it off, but I learned to enjoy it. It is the only way I'll at slaw.

Does pineapple count as a vegetable ?

if your BBQ uses copious amounts of sugar, it's not real BBQ

oops :lol:

I've received many glowing compliments for my spinach pizza.

"boston" style with thick crust, spinach, cream, toasted almonds and black pepper is the bomb. blows regular american """"pepperony"""" abomination pizza out the water.

tbh the best pizzas are the ones that have five or less ingredients.

rocket, crudo, parmesan

mozza, mushrooms, artichokes, basil

and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom