Random Thoughts IV: the Abyss Gazes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
so-called "deep dish pizzas" are just casseroles, change my mind

Am I the only one who actually means it when I ask "How are you?"

I suppose some doctors might mean it, but not in the social sense. I never ask it unless I really mean it, since I hate having to answer it when others ask. The expected courtesy is to answer in the positive when you could be having one of the worst days ever.

I've always suspected that if you always answer by running down the complete list of ailments due to getting old, people will stop asking you. ;)

Saw a girl on the bus today, wearing a Hijab, but with her long, brown hair hanging out of it (and seemingly intentionally so). I was really curious to hear her explanation of why she even wears the hijab if it doesn't cover her hair, because I think it's the first person I saw in real life where I'm almost certain she wears it mostly, if not entirely, because she thinks it looks cool. I read in some articles that it has become a trend mostly in areas of Germany where the Muslim population is less isolated and conservative than it is here.

Sadly, I couldn't actually get myself to ask her about it, because I thought the potential for being misunderstood or making a fool out of myself was rather big.

I actually answer, when I am asked; I don't just say "fine"; I think how I actually am, and give a report.

My favorite is when it's raining, and I answer with a line from Milton's Paradise Regained: "Me worse than wet thou find'st not." Befuddlement ensues.

Sometimes when people ask that, I answer with "Well, I'm not dead YET." Usually get odd looks for it...

Sometimes when people ask that, I answer with "Well, I'm not dead YET." Usually get odd looks for it...
You could always answer with "I'm Dead. Give me your Brains. Brains! Braaaaiiins!" That should get some......interesting reactions.

You could always answer with "I'm Dead. Give me your Brains. Brains! Braaaaiiins!" That should get some......interesting reactions.

That's a good idea.

No, YOU change your mind.
It has been delexicalised. It happens in many other languages as well.

As a greeting I prefer to say ‘welcome’ or wish my interlocutor a good evening, myself. Because otherwise I actually do answer how I am, when it suits me.

As a greeting I prefer to say ‘welcome’ or wish my interlocutor a good evening, myself.

I find that screeching in people's faces tends to get a good response.

a casserole is just a type of cookware, like a pot. the difference between a casserole (dish) and a deep dish pizza is that one necessarily has a dough as its base while the other doesn't, in fact casseroles (dish) almost never include any type of dough, but usually starchy veges like potatoes

There are some people who argue that female NPCs in Red Dead Redemption 2 should be invulnerable, and justify that stance by saying that child NPCs are invulnerable, too. That's so incredibly stupid.

I actually answer, when I am asked; I don't just say "fine"; I think how I actually am, and give a report.

My favorite is when it's raining, and I answer with a line from Milton's Paradise Regained: "Me worse than wet thou find'st not." Befuddlement ensues.

I believe that people are totally disinterested in such a report. I always look at their question as an opportunity to forecast how things are going to go. Then having made such forecast I attempt to prove it accurate. I find that answers like "Marvelous!" "Spectacular!" "Best day yet!" etc start a whole lot more conversations than any mundane reporting is likely to do. At the very least I have expressed my theory on forecasting to a whole lot of people in conversations that likely would not have occurred otherwise.

I also have a whole cadre of people who I don't even really know that will actually call me on it if I slip into giving a mundane answer to the somewhat reflexive question. That's a useful structure exerting pressure towards producing those good results. For example, if I try to just mope around my local grocery store someone who works there will invariably ask me what's going on, because they all know me as "the marvelous guy." "It's been a long day, but it's gonna be great from here on" is about the most self pity I am allowed in places I regularly go.

The radio station was playing a song called "Turn Up The Radio," and I thought it'd be funny to turn the car radio volume up a notch or two every time that line came up.

Turns out the line repeated a lot. Oops.

when I say "how are you" it can range from "let it all out" to "oh **** off". I thought it was the same for most people, it's really not the words that matter, but rather how it's said :)

There have been lots of rockets tonight, apparently in response to a Hamas commander being killed. My mother shouted at me two times to get down on the floor because the alert mentioned our town. Even though the probability is very low, it's scary when you don't have a safe room and are just forced to wait out the clock under a fragile roof.

I'll give updates on the situation, if something more happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom