Random Thoughts Sechs: Eeeeehhhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm taking vitamin D now and it cost $5.47 for 500 tablets (1000 units). Mind you, it's Wal-mart's store brand. The pharmacist tried to persuade me to let him put it in with my usual monthly allotment of prescribed stuff, and wasn't pleased when (in response to his claim that I would save money) I pointed out that the difference between what he would charge and what Wal-mart would charge is $15.00.

I switched from chewables to oil when I increased my dose. From Amazon, it costs around $13 for 450 drops of 1000 IU.

Yours are still much cheaper. I wish I could take tablets. :(

I switched from chewables to oil when I increased my dose. From Amazon, it costs around $13 for 450 drops of 1000 IU.

Yours are still much cheaper. I wish I could take tablets. :(
Why can't you take tablets? :confused:

I can't swallow anything without chewing. Even puddings and soups. My throat spasms.

I can't swallow anything without chewing. Even puddings and soups. My throat spasms.
You don't chew liquids, though... Vitamin D tablets are small, and definitely not as large as some food particles that people normally swallow (no matter how diligently they chew). I just swallow them with a medium-sized sip of water.

But I do get that some kinds of pills are just too big. I was on such a high dose of Effexor for awhile that I started to be worried about choking on it.

This one is right on the edge of predictability. I cannot think of a better intersection between the idea of the unelected technocrat and giving up national sovereignty over a resource

Trump himself has expressed support for the gold standard, but not in any way that I would say is a predictable statement of his stance.

It seems like we would want to look into the opinions of the people who seem to have informed his opinions

Stephen Miller and Jared have his ear on most things.

Trump himself has expressed support for the gold standard, but not in any way that I would say is a predictable statement of his stance.

It seems like we would want to look into the opinions of the people who seem to have informed his opinions

To be clear I don't think he intends to get rid of central bank independence. His intentions here are beside the point; I'm just talking about exploiting what he's doing (or may do) for my own purposes later on.

@Hygro @El_Machinae critical support for Trump staffing the federal reserve board of governors with nincompoops like Herman Cain as a medium-term play to get rid of central bank independence when no one competent is left?
If Trump is the trendline-continuation Republican how bad is it going to be in 2033?

There are a lot of souls in Heaven or whatever you call the alternate dimension where disembodied minds exist before (and after?) they enter human/other intelligent bodies. Earth was an exciting new world back when I applied to join it, around 15000 BCE. Cold yet rapidly shifting climate, humans all over the planet and spreading rapidly, lots of interesting rituals and symbolism, many big animals to eat, everything someone like me needs. They even had a position called "shaman", which I'm really suited for. So I applied for a shaman role in Ice Age Europe.

But of course there was a huge backlog of applications and we had to wait our turn. Most of us got placed in the giant population bubble of c. 1800-2150, because that's where the most openings were. I applied 17000 years early like I was supposed to but I still had to wait until 1989.

Now my role doesn't exist, and clearly most of the other roles my co-applicants are suited for are gone as well. Nobody seems to know what they're doing anymore, and many people are staring at glowing rectangles and feeling miserable.

This isn't totally a rant - if I'd been placed when I applied and everything had otherwise been the same, my mother probably wouldn't have been able to bear me and we'd both have died. I'd have to go back to Heaven and wait in another 17000-year line for a different planet. And about half the time I would have died young from falling down and breaking my leg and having the compound fracture get infected and turn into gangrene, or because the neighboring tribe decided to raid us and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or some similar thing. But the other half of the time, shaman-me would have been far more fulfilled in his life than I could be in this one.

There are a lot of souls in Heaven or whatever you call the alternate dimension where disembodied minds exist before (and after?) they enter human/other intelligent bodies. Earth was an exciting new world back when I applied to join it, around 15000 BCE. Cold yet rapidly shifting climate, humans all over the planet and spreading rapidly, lots of interesting rituals and symbolism, many big animals to eat, everything someone like me needs. They even had a position called "shaman", which I'm really suited for. So I applied for a shaman role in Ice Age Europe.

But of course there was a huge backlog of applications and we had to wait our turn. Most of us got placed in the giant population bubble of c. 1800-2150, because that's where the most openings were. I applied 17000 years early like I was supposed to but I still had to wait until 1989.

Now my role doesn't exist, and clearly most of the other roles my co-applicants are suited for are gone as well. Nobody seems to know what they're doing anymore, and many people are staring at glowing rectangles and feeling miserable.

This isn't totally a rant - if I'd been placed when I applied and everything had otherwise been the same, my mother probably wouldn't have been able to bear me and we'd both have died. I'd have to go back to Heaven and wait in another 17000-year line for a different planet. And about half the time I would have died young from falling down and breaking my leg and having the compound fracture get infected and turn into gangrene, or because the neighboring tribe decided to raid us and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or some similar thing. But the other half of the time, shaman-me would have been far more fulfilled in his life than I could be in this one.

That's a huge assumption. If you're deeply unsatisfied with the modern human condition just about anything else will "sound better" until you actually live it.

I'm mostly going by anthropological observations that find essentially no depression at all in hunter-gatherer populations despite material deprivation and far higher mortality rates including from violence. Now I do not think that if you take me as I am now and plop me in a premodern society that I would do well at all, because I'm conditioned to (post)modernity and would be useless in that environment.

I don't see how anybody could ever seriously discuss the presence of mental illness in populations that were incapable of recording history beyond story time at the campfire. I reckon any tribe would quickly be done with any storyteller that starts off each story with, "So there was a miserable bastard, see..."

They should make a live action Gwenpool movie!

Shaman-you wouldn't have such an intense interest in weird chemistry experiments because shaman-you would have no idea that most of that stuff existed or what to do with it if you had it. Shaman-you might have ended up on the wrong end of a witch trial.

As someone who started stargazing before reading The Concise Atlas of the Universe when I was 12-13 and continued stargazing after reading that book, I can say that stargazing was much more fulfilling after I actually knew what I was looking at and could appreciate that some of the brighter stars I was looking at might no longer exist because they blew themselves up millennia ago (it tends to be the young supergiants we can most easily see; they're the brightest and the ones that burn their fuel faster).

Which brings to mind an article I read yesterday on CBC.ca. There's a worldwide helium shortage, and someone suggested that people who want it just for party balloons should go to the Sun to get it (since it's abundant in the Sun)... of course to avoid burning up, they should go at night.

I'm mostly going by anthropological observations that find essentially no depression at all in hunter-gatherer populations despite material deprivation and far higher mortality rates including from violence. Now I do not think that if you take me as I am now and plop me in a premodern society that I would do well at all, because I'm conditioned to (post)modernity and would be useless in that environment.
I don't remember any of my anthropology classes mentioning depression in hunter-gatherer populations.

Is faulty brain chemistry something that's just cropped up recently? I think it's far more likely that depression was a thing long ago, but it was called something different. It's a given that there wasn't much known about it compared to now.

It is nice that Innsmouth has Gambrel-type roofs, collapsing and abandoned houses and nasty-looking inhabitants. Then again so does Dunwich. And Arkham. And the farmland outside of Arkham where a comet falls. And every other thing around Arkham. At some point one wonders how a writer can write the same thing and not identify he is sort of a self-parody.
The idea to create Arkham in particular is imo one of the stupidest ideas Lovecraft had. He is trying to imitate W. Irving's allusions to indian ceremonies and supposed devil-worship, and connote the New England countryside in this way, but the difference in writing ability between Lovecraft and Irving is just vast.

I read today that in academia in USA it was hard for Women's studies to get their PhD programs accepted and there were only two Unis in 1990s which offered such thing.

Since Women's studies are an interdiscplinatory field drawing from anthropology, history, sociology I'm rather interested what other interdiscplinary studies options are available in USA right now.

And if people in academia have accepted that Women's studies can provide valid analysis on things which were accepted as cultural norm and therefore are worth funding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom