Red Kremlin or White Kremlin?

Red or white?

• Total voters
Which pixels are you looking at? I can't make out any that would tell me. But I don't know what I'm looking for. I've looked all round the edges of the white areas.

Which pixels are you looking at? I can't make out any that would tell me. But I don't know what I'm looking for. I've looked all round the edges of the white areas.
You don't have to look at certain pixels. You just have to notice that there are the same cars in both pictures, so they can't have been shot at different times, therefore one of the images must have been photoshopped.

Of course! (That's bloomin' obvious! Actually, I hadn't thought of that. )

But given only one picture, how could you tell?

And given two, how could you tell which was photoshopped?

I couldn't.

Edit: for your second question, I would rely on my knowledge that the Kremlin walls are red.

Based on the comments it seems that more support the white than red, but the poll shows otherwise.

I think the red just doesn't fit in at all with the buildings because the buildings are white. If the buildings were red - or multicolor or something else -I'd go for red walls too

Anyway, that's the Moscow Kremlin. (There are others, I have learnt.) And the surrounding wall, I am pretty certain, is of red limestone. Which won't be painted, and certainly not over-painted in white.

Nah, bro, it's of simple ceramic red brick. And it was painted white, and is actually painted red now, since the paint protects it from erosion in our rather humid climate.

I take it was originally built in white, right?

Is red the original colour, or is this about restoring the Kremlin to its imperial colours?

Originally it was build in wood,

then it was reconstructed in white limestone,

then red brick.

Then it was painted white.

And after revolution the renovation was stopped and it got red.

Honestly, that particular shade of red and that particular shade of green (corroded copper?) don't seem to go together all that well.

Nah, not copper. Look closely, those are actually greenish ceramic tiles.

But bricks? I'd like to see some evidence of it in Moscow, traditionally.

The non-wooden parts of Late Medieval Moscow looked like that.

Even bridges where of red brick.

That's a sweet building. Where be it?

Of course it's sweet, it's KGB headquarters. The sweetest guys around.

I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

Dachs knows Internet.

Anyway, that's the Moscow Kremlin. (There are others, I have learnt.)

There are, indeed. Kremlin derives from the word Krom and is the word used exclusively in Moscovite Rus' (as opposed to other parts of Rus' and other Slavic countires) to denote a walled space. There were around 400 of them in Moscovy. A tiny bit of them survived to this day.

Pskov

Spoiler :

Novgorod the Great

Spoiler :

Smolensk

Spoiler :

Suzdal

Spoiler :

White walls look good at winter. Like in Rostov:

Some minor fortresses at Zaraisk, Kolomna, Dmitrov, Astrahan, Lower Novgorod

Spoiler :

I voted Red, although aesthetically, they're similar, and without prior knowledge I might have picked white. However, in light of 20th century history, it seems inappropriate to not go with red.

Very interesting and informative posts 50 and 53, Veles. I didn't know the Kremlin walls had at one time been white, and those are some fantastic pictures.

That building in Pskov is surreal in terms of whiteness. It looks like someone built a bit of Disneyland in the middle of a medieval town.

Top Bottom