1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

remember 9/11

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by holy king, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Symbolic attack, striking America's filthy financial hearth. They also targeted the Pentagon and the White House, symbols of it's militaristic imperialist strangle hold on the world. At least that's what they told me.

2. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Hmm. I mean, really, what concrete effect did they hope for?

Did they hope the US would say, hang on, looks like we must've been mistreating the Islamic world, it's time to change our ways?

Equally, what do the US et al hope to achieve in Afghanistan? Do they expect the Taliban to say, hang on, we do mistreat our women and so forth? Thank you for showing us the error of our ways?

3. del62

del62 Deity

I don't think Al Qaeda expected America's reaction, I doubt if they knew they would have had their Afghan training camps decimated they would have done it.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Osama Bin Laden was very clear about what the attacks were meant to accomplish. He wanted to provoke the U.S. into getting involved in a bunch of wars in the middle east, which, as the plan went, would lead to financial ruin and would make it easier for Al Qaeda to recruit new members.

But no, people love to repeat the old tired "They attacked us because of our freedoms" nonsense instead... It doesn't even make any sense.

5. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Really? Um...how would you react? Or rather, how would you think I would react if you came and flew an airplane into my house?

(Hint: I'd be surprised)

6. del62

del62 Deity

I actually think that Al Qaeda thought America would just send a few cruise missiles at their training camps.

7. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I wonder. The World Trade Center, after all. And the Pentagon. And where else? (I forget)

They certainly got my attention that day. And everyone else nearby. And, I imagine, almost the entire world.

But no-one seems to ask why they did it?

8. del62

del62 Deity

They did it to strike at the heart of America the great Satan (in their opinion), because the US had bases in Saudi Arabis, and these people beleive the Arabian Penisular should be reserved for Muslims.

WHere else, did they ever find out where the plane brought down by passangers was suposed to go.

9. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Bin Laden also hoped that by getting America involved in lots of wars the government would raise taxes which would lead to some states seceeding.

Take from that what you will.

10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Then they were just stupid AND suicidal.
    I believe the concensus is that it was meant for the White House.

11. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Why do you think that? Remember, Bin Laden and his followers had waged a sucessful war against the Soviets (along with the other mujahideen groups). Bin Laden expected the same thing to happen: America would invade like the Soviets and the Afghani's aided by foreign fighters would defeat the American military. In Bin Laden's words "to turn America into a shadow of herself". (I might I have gotten the quote slightly wrong. I don't have Fisk's book with me.)

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

The statement I responded to didn't state that they thought we would invade. The statement I responded to said they thought we would only bomb them with cruise missiles. Which is what I think makes them stupid (if that's what they actually thought). We are both in agreement that they probably thought we would invade.

Here's the statement for clarification:
    As for the suicidal part, if that's what you're disagreeing with: well, that much is self-evident. Suicide bombers/attacks

13. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Yes, but did they think that this would strike a mortal blow to the great Satan? It doesn't seem likely.

I keep trying to think of what scenario was going through their heads.

Did they think that the US would withdraw their bases from SA?

Or had they given up hope of getting any action any other way, and this was an act of final despair?

14. del62

del62 Deity

They did it because they beleived they were carrying out Allah's will.

15. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Oh, OK. As good a reason as any, I suppose.

16. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

Are you kidding me? That's about the single stupidest thing posted in this entire thread.

17. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Well, what's the answer then, clever clogs?

18. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

Me not providing an answer has nothing to do with whether the question has been asked or not. There are explanations and I hear them discussed on a daily basis. You'd have to be deaf.

19. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I think the OP's application of the purely American MM-DD date format to the Chilean coup is quite insensitive. Must we simply view the event through an American lens? :shake:

20. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

OK, I can accept that you do hear them discussed daily. I do not. Nor have I seen any mention, except by me, of the question here, far less any explanation.

Nor have I seen any explanation, worth considering, anywhere. I suppose you and I must inhabit different worlds. Let us agree to drop the subject, since it plainly irritates you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.