Roe vs Wade overturned

Kansas defeats constitution change to to undo right to abortion. A blow to extremism

Was about to ask Bird the link, but El Machinae delivers :hatsoff:

Kansas defeats constitution change to to undo right to abortion. A blow to extremism

With a turnout of 78%, higher than the equivalent vote in 2020 (presidential primary election). I think we can be hopeful (if not confident) that people will understand the importance of what is happening and turn out to oust the current lot of crazies in November.

Btw anyone in Georgia don't forget to claim your $3000 dependents reduction on your income tax for your unborn embryos :crazyeye:

I'm thinking about how to (over-)interpret the Kansas referendum. Because the turnout was especially large, I don't think we can say that an impassioned minority seized the wheelhouse against limp opposition and steered the ship in a new direction (which does happen). Did Kansas conservatives decide to slap away the groping hand of the government and defend individual liberty, even if they personally would never get an abortion?* Is Kansas not as conservative as I think it is? A reporter on the BBC points out that the vote in Kansas is pretty much right in line with national opinion polls on abortion laws. Maybe Kansas is actually a representative cross-section of American opinions on this topic.

* On that point, I'm curious how this vote broke down by gender. It was 60-40 overall.

88D63A04-2367-44D4-9354-2B86CA36CC6E.jpeg

It’s up to about a 300k split now. I think there is an error in assuming that if a person opposes abortion restrictions then they necessarily support, turn out, or vote for democrats

:lol: You all Republicans, now.

Something might actually get done.

I think that also shows how important your primary vote is. The 2024 (R) primary is going to be so important, I'd recommend registering

:lol: You all Republicans, now.

Something might actually get done.
I'm liking "how important your primary vote is"

I'm not registering Republican :lol:

It rather seems to me that the focus should be getting people out to the polls to affirmatively vote for democrats, a thing we aren't even sure will actually happen on its own, rather than speculating on a convoluted strategy which involves getting people to not only show up, but also voluntarily not vote for the party we want them to.

Hillary tried that in '16, and, uh, it didn't work out so well.

Primaries aren't the general. Obviously, it only should be done by people who can handle that. But the (R) primary is important

That's why the Democrats fund Trumpies and gerrymander out decent choices. Like a pox.

That's why the Democrats fund Trumpies
Annoyingly Peter Meijer (moderate who voted to impeach Trump) narrowly lost to John Gibbs (Trump loyalist and election denier) by 51.9 to 48.1%. I guess we will never know for sure, but that extra boost the Dems gave by running adverts to help Gibbs may have gotten him over the finish line. If the 'more beatable' Gibbs goes on to win in November the Dems are going to look mighty silly and I am going to be mighty annoyed!

More directly related to Roe vs Wade, it was interesting to note that on the generic ballot the GOP have dropped from a close to high of +2.3 just before the decision down to +0.1 since the decision.

The GOP will likely win the house comfortably in November (and maybe the senate), but Roe vs Wade being overturned, plus the Republican voters predilection for voting out moderate and replacing them with election deniers and MAGA fanatics will likely slightly blunt the red wave.

It rather seems to me that the focus should be getting people out to the polls to affirmatively vote for democrats, a thing we aren't even sure will actually happen on its own, rather than speculating on a convoluted strategy which involves getting people to not only show up, but also voluntarily not vote for the party we want them to.

Hillary tried that in '16, and, uh, it didn't work out so well.
In addition to being a better strategy it's also the honorable and right thing.

Top Bottom