So, black and brown are now part of the rainbow

Ryika

Lazy Wannabe Artista
When the Supreme Court made same-sex marriage legal nationwide two years ago, the White House was illuminated with rainbow lights reminiscent of the pride flag to celebrate.

For Amber Hikes and many others in the LGBT community, the lights were a powerful symbol of a government's support for a marginalized community that had historically struggled to be recognized, much less openly supported.

Now Hikes, a black queer woman, is excited about a new gay-rights symbol: a pride flag with additional black and brown stripes above the rest of the rainbow. The stripes represent LGBT individuals of color, a group that can often be overlooked within the overall LGBT umbrella.

[...]

Philadelphia's downtown gay neighborhood, called the Gayborhood, has faced multiple instances of racial discrimination within the past year, including discriminatory dress-code policies at local bars and a leaked video of a nightclub owner using a racial slur. The campaign and new flag are one way the city and the Office of LGBT Affairs are addressing those issues.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/13/health/new-pride-flag-colors-trnd/index.html

I don't see the logic behind this. People claim the rainbow flag does not actually represent some minorities, but that's utter nonsense. The rainbow flag already represents all minorities, that's the idea behind the flag - diverse like a rainbow, all people fall under that banner.

If the actual movement doesn't live up to that goal, then that's a problem with the movement that must be fixed, not a problem with the symbol. It seems to me that this is virtue signaling of the highest order, change the symbol, instead of making the movement live up to the symbol.

The symbol was fine the way it was, a symbol that states that all people are equal and that their identities are valid, independent from who they are. Now it's a symbol that states that black people and brownshirts are a bit more equal than the rest of us. Idiots.

Although it is consistent with how they treat the LGBTQIAPK abbreviation at least.

It's just one of those things, if people are excited they'll go do it and if people are not so excited they won't and the rest of us are going to see rainbows as a collection of colors that aren't people (I guess red and yellow but that's not really in vogue..) so ok with the normal rainbow meaning everyone.

The rainbow coalition was started with people of color in mind.

Is that the anti black and brown people queer flag?

Adding black and brown sort of wreck the limited aesthetics the rainbow flag has, but I'm struggling to care about it.

Adding black and brown sort of wreck the limited aesthetics the rainbow flag has, but I'm struggling to care about it.
That's almost the entire power of it. The little excitement it generates is "these colors aren't aesthetically rainbow, bothersome", but loses on the subsequent "meh"

From what I've heard, the gay community can be just as racist as the alt-right and gay people of color often face hostility from both the gay community and their own communities as well. So in my mind, it makes sense to be more inclusive to gay people of color with adding the stripes, although I'm not strongly for or against it.

It's not official or formally recognized or anything. It's made-up and people can design it any way they want. Logically, even more colors may be added in the future as more minoities are heard from.

I think this is more visually appealing

Spoiler :

Are you just trying to cause trouble Manuel?

Ok, sure brown but why add black? It's not a color nor does anyone really have black skin. Also why not add white if you're going to add black?

Symbols

The gay CSA flag looks sort of cool :D

I suppose it is due to the scottish cross pattern, though.

In the American context, it's the Confederate Stars and Bars - increasingly offensive to the Left here. To place it over LGBT colors is sufficiently offensive to require a spoiler. He might as well have used a Swastika.

Gay CSA flag is funny, though...

Wait - it occurs to me that there must be at least a few gay good-old-boys - driving around the South in rusty old pickup trucks holding hands. So maybe Manny's onto something.

I'm working in Knoxville right now and this casts a whole new light on things...:hug:

Well. Look.This is ridiculous.

If it weren't ridiculous, they would take the green, blue, indigo, and violet colours out of the rainbow. (I was going to include orange as well. But if you look at Donald Trump and other celebrities with tans, orange has to remain.)

"Springtime for Hitler and Germany,
Winter for Poland and France...." :lol:

I couldn't help but notice that there's no black or brown in the flag of the US of Amerikkka. Coincidence? I think not.

This flag is making quite a very specific and comprehensible point about race in a specific queer community and I'm really struggling to see what the objection is here. Talk about going out and really searching hard for things to be opposed to.

Wait til you find out about the bear flag and the asexual flag and trans flag and many more.

I don't think anyone's objecting to it or opposed to it. More poking fun at it.

Top Bottom