So, black and brown are now part of the rainbow

You're making a much more charitable interpretation of the OP's semiotic feelings than I am, it seems.

This flag is making quite a very specific and comprehensible point about race in a specific queer community and I'm really struggling to see what the objection is here. Talk about going out and really searching hard for things to be opposed to.
Oh, I agree that they're making a specific and comprehensible point about race in a specific queer community. Can't verify it obviously, because I'm not part of that community, but I don't have a problem with the point they're making, and given that there will be individual acts of discrimination in just about any community, I'm happy to assume they're basing their criticism on something that's real.

What I'm opposed to... well, not even really opposed to. What I find irritating is how their reaction is to change the flag that was perfectly fine before, instead of fixing the problem. As if changing the flag, and by doing so destroying the metaphor, did anything. I find that hilarious to look at, because to me it's the perfect display of idiotic virtue signalling that does absolutely nothing and wasn't required in any way.

Imagine countries were to add a new stripe, form or symbol to their flag whenever they realize that they didn't quite live up to the standards that they wanted to stand for in the past. :lol:

Imagine countries were to add a new stripe, form or symbol to their flag whenever they realize that they didn't quite live up to the standards that they wanted to stand for in the past.

We do kind of do that, one way or another. Flag has to be the mobile version though, so lots of stuff from lots of different people to cram into relatively few symbols.

Spoiler :

What I'm opposed to... well, not even really opposed to. What I find irritating is how their reaction is to change the flag that was perfectly fine before, instead of fixing the problem. As if changing the flag, and by doing so destroying the metaphor, did anything. I find that hilarious to look at, because to me it's the perfect display of idiotic virtue signalling that does absolutely nothing and wasn't required in any way.

Yeah I mean how dare the humans derive meaning from symbols, how dare they

It's like having a party that says: "We stand for 100% of all people!"

Then 5 years later, they realize that there is and has always been sexism and racism in the party, and the reaction is to say: "To fix these issues we now stand for 110% of all people!".

It just doesn't make sense.

Imo it sort of beats the purpose in this case, cause the rainbow supposedly means all-inclusiveness in the first place, and then they made black/brown (?) a subgroup to stand out.

Pigmentists unite, end photon oppression!

I don't get it either, but, eh. Is anyone going to get confused really?

Imagine countries were to add a new stripe, form or symbol to their flag whenever they realize that they didn't quite live up to the standards that they wanted to stand for in the past. :lol:

You are speaking here to a republican Australian about how silly it would be to change a flag that you don't feel represents you.

Plus I mean, the flag was designed by a particular dude in America in 1978, it's not exactly official state vexillology. Queer communities are super diverse and have been riffing on and changing such symbols as feels right for a long time. Even adding black to the rainbow isn't a new thing - it's been done both for AIDS remembrance and for leather before...

Last edited:
This flag is making quite a very specific and comprehensible point about race in a specific queer community and I'm really struggling to see what the objection is here. Talk about going out and really searching hard for things to be opposed to.

Wait til you find out about the bear flag and the asexual flag and trans flag and many more.

I like the asexual and trans flags. They're good flags. This isn't.

The Polish flag gets updated each time we send something into space

Don't be silly, polan cannot into space.

Ok, sure brown but why add black? It's not a color nor does anyone really have black skin. Also why not add white if you're going to add black?

The guy looks brown to me. Very dark brown, but still.

Well. He looks pretty black to me.

Or at least certainly charcoal colour.

Does he take offense when other people whose blackness don't even come close to his appropriate the term black?

Seriously, though : most "black" people are not really black, and most "white" are not really white. This is pretty evident.

Also : this whole "representation" (as understood by SJWs) thing is pathetic. So we've already been told that black people cannot identify with a TV show or movie unless there are black leads; they cannot identify with politicians or role models or historical figures unless they too are black ; and now we learn they can't identify with a freaking flag unless there are black stripes on it. What's next?

Last edited:
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/13/health/new-pride-flag-colors-trnd/index.html

I don't see the logic behind this. People claim the rainbow flag does not actually represent some minorities, but that's utter nonsense. The rainbow flag already represents all minorities, that's the idea behind the flag - diverse like a rainbow, all people fall under that banner.

If the actual movement doesn't live up to that goal, then that's a problem with the movement that must be fixed, not a problem with the symbol. It seems to me that this is virtue signaling of the highest order, change the symbol, instead of making the movement live up to the symbol.

The symbol was fine the way it was, a symbol that states that all people are equal and that their identities are valid, independent from who they are. Now it's a symbol that states that black people and brownshirts are a bit more equal than the rest of us. Idiots.

Although it is consistent with how they treat the LGBTQIAPK abbreviation at least.
is it a personal insult towards you that this was done? what exactly do you know about the "movement"?

i'm assuming this thread should be given a miss by anyone who mentally graduated from high school

Jeez. :eek:

I guess that man does not have to worry about sunburn.

The guy looks brown to me. Very dark brown, but still.
There's some shimmering of brownness in the mid-shadows, true, but that's about as close as actual black as you can get without really being black.

Assuming the camera has caught reality as it is of course.

is it a personal insult towards you that this was done? what exactly do you know about the "movement"?

i'm assuming this thread should be given a miss by anyone who mentally graduated from high school
Did I hurt your feelings? :rolleyes:

asked you first
But I already gave my reasoning behind creating this thread earlier:

Oh, I agree that they're making a specific and comprehensible point about race in a specific queer community. Can't verify it obviously, because I'm not part of that community, but I don't have a problem with the point they're making, and given that there will be individual acts of discrimination in just about any community, I'm happy to assume they're basing their criticism on something that's real.

You on the other hand came into this thread, had nothing to say, and instead just whined about the fact that I chose to talk about an issue that you seem to be overly emotional about.

Top Bottom