So, black and brown are now part of the rainbow

There's some shimmering of brownness in the mid-shadows, true, but that's about as close as actual black as you can get without really being black.

Assuming the camera has caught reality as it is of course.
At first I was totally convinced he was black, but the more I looked at him, the more his skin looked less like pitch black and more like the dark shade of brown on a dark chocolate bar.
Spoiler :

Imo it sort of beats the purpose in this case, cause the rainbow supposedly means all-inclusiveness in the first place, and then they made black/brown (?) a subgroup to stand out.
This is my view.

Rainbow meant diversity; this means diversitier?

It's a sort of gilding of the lily (while at the same time not including either gold or lily in their color scheme)

Talk about going out and really searching hard for things to be opposed to.

Isn't that the whole raison d'être of edgelords/ladies?

You on the other hand came into this thread, had nothing to say, and instead just whined about the fact that I chose to talk about an issue that you seem to be overly emotional about.
are you sure you aren't the one being overly emotional about this issue

being the one who started the topic in the first place

it's weird how little self awareness people like this have. the "you triggered??" crowd are always taking vocal issue with minute stuff like this. i guess it'll just get funnier as it goes on

This flag is making quite a very specific and comprehensible point about race in a specific queer community and I'm really struggling to see what the objection is here. Talk about going out and really searching hard for things to be opposed to.

Wait til you find out about the bear flag and the asexual flag and trans flag and many more.
Well, true . Someone somewhere is searching hard for things to be opposed to.

But who is it?

Is it the people who claim adding brown and black to a rainbow is absurd?

Or is it the people who are adding brown and black to a rainbow?

Or maybe it's neither of these.

I don't think most non-white queer folk would have to look particularly hard in their own lives to find racism and erasure within queer communities. Same as the rest of society, really.

Whether or not it's worthwhile to comment on the inclusiveness of queer communities and queer activism by riffing on the inclusive sentiment of the rainbow flag is a different question and one that's really for the people doing the riffing to decide. But yeah, it really ain't fair to equivalise non-white queer folks' experiences of and reaction to racism with people getting upset about a flag.

are you sure you aren't the one being overly emotional about this issue
Yep.

being the one who started the topic in the first place
You mean the topic where I talk about whether it makes sense to take a metaphor and warp it into something that isn't a metaphor anymore? To me, this isn't an emotional topic at all (other than having fun thinking about the nonsensicality of it of course), it's a thread where I want to discuss whether what they have done makes sense or not, from my perspective as an outsider. You're welcome to defend them and make an argument for why I'm wrong, for why the flag totally needed a brown and a black stripe, and why it's not just silly virtue signalling, but so far you have completely avoided that and only made guesses on my emotional status which obviously doesn't lead to anything constructive.

So please, either comment on the topic, or leave the thread.

Moderator Action: Telling others to 'leave the thread' is trolling. If you are a moderator, you can throw people out. If you aren't, you'll have to learn to live with your fellow posters. FP
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Every tough guy/gal on the Internet claims they don't even care (emotionally) about an issue after spending a good amount of time ranting about it; typically in between calling other people snowflakes.

^This particular special category within an inclusive movement is just atypical and likely counter-productive, is all. I doubt anyone will be up in arms about it. Threads are for posting whatever, anyway :yup:

Have been looking around twitter to get a broader picture about why people think it's am important gesture to make the flag make less sense, but I couldn't find any good explanations. Just many, many people who are just as baffled by it as I, and many people who rally behind it as if it an important thing to do, but nobody seems to be able to explain _why_ this meaningless gesture is so important. Meh.

Only interesting thing I found was an article that says that there was a bill passed in Texas that allows discrimination against same-sex couples when it comes to foster parents. That seems like an actual issue.

Maybe if we add a brown stripe onto the Texan flag we can achieve something. Because no matter what color your skin, what genitals you have or are interested in, chances are your poo is brown. True unity. :D

Top Bottom