Roe vs Wade overturned

Really. Estimated, and 64? That's the best the numberlords can do?

Glad to see the good fight is at least being had, then.

I'm going to reiterate.

Yeah, estimated. In a paper currently only available as a pre-print, that is very limited in what it considers. I think it is too weak rather than too strong:

This estimate quantifies the increase in maternal deaths that would occur after a total abortion ban solely due to the greater mortality risk of continuing pregnancy to term compared to having an abortion.​
After the first year of no abortion occurring, we estimate increased exposure to the risks of pregnancy would cause an increase of 210 maternal deaths per year (24% increase), from 861 to 1071. The increase would be greatest among non-Hispanic Black people, for whom it would be 39%.​
Banning abortion will likely change maternal mortality in ways beyond exposing more people to the existing risks of maternal death; any increase in maternal mortality due to these changes would be in addition to our estimates.​

Moderator Action: I have deleted a handful of posts. Please try to avoid bickering. Thank you.

Poor Kansas. So inconvenient to the feverdreamers.

Under a full ban make believe future. Like, this is actually the darkest nightmare with loose care for reality. But oh man, emotions and creative capitalization, mang!

Under a full ban make believe future. Like, this is actually the darkest nightmare with loose care for reality. But oh man, emotions and creative capitalization, mang!

Abortion access is being restricted and people will die and you're acting like this? Genuinely disappointed in you

It's almost like some human lives matter less than others.

That's seemingly just direct maternal mortality being joked about by Captain Clarity over there. The inherent risks of pregnancy, which isn't ever a particularly safe thing to do. So it would be deaths like the sepsis horrors suffered by Savita Halappanavar, which led to Ireland voting their barbaric abortion ban out of their constitution.

Doesn't seem to take into account impacts like death from unsafe abortion procedures, suicide, and increased domestic violence associated with unwanted pregnancies. Nor presumably any of the health and quality of life ramifications of forced parenthood. Nor the impact of people being denied incidentally abortifacient medications required for their illnesses.

That's seemingly just direct maternal mortality being joked about by Captain Clarity over there. The inherent risks of pregnancy, which isn't ever a particularly safe thing to do. So it would be deaths like the sepsis horrors suffered by Savita Halappanavar, which led to Ireland voting their barbaric abortion ban out of their constitution.

Doesn't seem to take into account impacts like death from unsafe abortion procedures, suicide, and increased domestic violence associated with unwanted pregnancies. Nor presumably any of the health and quality of life ramifications of forced parenthood. Nor the impact of people being denied incidentally abortifacient medications required for their illnesses.

Yeah, I would expect these effects to dwarf the direct effect in the end.

You all have argued that on issue for a decade, and now we feign surprise.

Last edited:
Real world case of tech companies supporting the police in criminal prosecutions of abortion cases

When local Nebraska police came knocking in June – before Roe v Wade was officially overturned – Facebook handed the user data of a mother and daughter facing criminal charges for allegedly carrying out an illegal abortion. Private messages between the two discussing how to obtain abortion pills were given to police by Facebook, according to The Lincoln Journal Star. The 17-year-old, reports say, was more than 20 weeks pregnant. In Nebraska, abortions are banned after 20 weeks of pregnancy. The teenager is now being tried as an adult.​
The affidavit in support of the search warrant reveals that a detective with the Norfolk police department asked Facebook for extensive user information for the teen’s mother, Jessica Burgess, dating back to 15 April 2022 including, “profile contact information, wall postings, and friend listing, with Facebook IDs”. The warrant and its details were first published by Motherboard. Authorities also requested all photos Burgess uploaded and was tagged in and her private messages from April to the day the warrant was issued.​
Burgess was charged with two additional felonies after Madison county authorities served the search warrant, according to The Lincoln Journal Star. Documents show Burgess is charged with hiding a dead human body, performing an abortion as a non-licensed doctor and performing an abortion at more than 20 weeks. The latter two are considered felonies in Nebraska.​
“Both of these warrants were originally accompanied by non-disclosure orders, which prevented us from sharing any information about them. The orders have now been lifted,” said Meta spokesman Dave Arnold.​
The warrant

This shows that the whole discussion about period tracking apps has missed a much more important point: Use end-to-end encrypted messengers. For everything.

I mean, WhatsApp is meant to be encrypted end-to-end, and that's owned by Facebook Meta. So, y'know. It's not that simple, and blaming end users who are more often than not informed of the realities of how their data can be abused is always the wrong approach to take.

Improving technological literacy is ideal, but a difficult plan to get going with.

This would seem per /100000 people, not in absolute numbers.
(also: whoa, that's not small)
it's also not real.

i am extremely dubious when i see estimated deaths spike up in a state that will still allow unconditional abortions during the timeframe where nearly every person who does them for anything but emergencies/medical necessity will have them (<15 wk). we already established earlier through government data on it that women waiting until late in 2nd trimester and then just deciding to have an abortion because they want one is more or less not a thing. to the extent it happens, it's a tiny % of all of the procedures done.

thus, expecting a ~20% increase in death rate suggests glaring flaws in methodology. i am willing to bet money that switch to 15wk will not result in anything near that, despite that 15wk is not my policy preference.

I mean, WhatsApp is meant to be encrypted end-to-end, and that's owned by Facebook Meta. So, y'know. It's not that simple, and blaming end users who are more often than not informed of the realities of how their data can be abused is always the wrong approach to take.

Improving technological literacy is ideal, but a difficult plan to get going with.
I don't want to blame end users and apologies if it sounded like I was trying to. I just think that if we want to educate people about the dangers of digital data, communication security would be the place to start.

I completely missed this as well during the debate a few pages back, but as I read this, I thought: Automatically sifting through messages would probably be a much easier way to prosecute abortions than trying to interpret period tracking data.

i mean it's you that went full indifference on actual people actually dying. the capitalization meme may be reasonably juvenile, but, not to be snarky, if you want empathy, maybe display some

this is what you wrote

even if 1 person dies from this (which is not improbable at all), have some respect for life, no?

Top Bottom