RotQM06: Revenge on those Queen Muthaz!

ruff hi is very sensibly avoiding this train-wreck of an SG. If only I was that wise....

Starts quietly enough.

Our colonial convoy gets attacked in mid ocean. We lose the galleon with the archers, settler galleon is badly damaged. Quickly disembark settler and two workers in old russia and hope for the best. Next turn the galley is sunk! Our settler scuttles away. Makes it to safety:

Meanwhile we're laying seige to Yakutsk. In 1650 we capture and raze it, we lose 2 noob zerks and gain 159G. Bod's got muskets :eek: . Time to run away and hide in Tonsberg while waiting for milsci.

Bodicea then invades us! Three gallic warriors and an axe in the forest just south of Nidaros. Bit of a stalemate, they're not tough enough to take the city, we're not tough enough to wipe them out cheaply.

On the tech front we get banking in 1640, immediately revolt to mercantilism. Juggle tiles round a bit and employ merchants and economy is slowly improving. Building cash in a couple of cities was enough to raise research silder. But that didn't last long. Once the iron was connected it was time to start on some frigates.

Lots of minor skirmishes I haven't bothered reporting. We're probably coming out marginally ahead on them. Bod's got a stack of ships two tiles west of Nidaros.

We're 6 turns from milsci. Hatty's researching steam power.

Didn't whip at all. Its good for rapid production but not so good for the economy.

Edit; We've got a Great General lazing around in Nidaros.

This is a GOT IT. I will take a look tomorrow, and post some comments (probably).

Train-wreck, eh? I always kinda thought of the RotQM series as one of those horrible multi-car pileups on the interstate highways.

Train-wreck, eh? I always kinda thought of the RotQM series as one of those horrible multi-car pileups on the interstate highways.
at least we won the first one, no? :lol:

good set Pigs ~ way to evacuate the ships! Once our beserkers are upgraded, we should clean out celtia fairly quickly. We also should keep whipping nidaros, imo. those cheap units are we worth the tradeoff i think. we also need to have more cities dedicated strictly to commerce and growing cottages, with very little production.

roster
ozzie
stuge
pigswill >> just played
talamane >> UP NOW and has it
pholkhero >> on deck

greyfox >> civ hiatus until someday

ps ~ since neither ruff nor anyone else has expressed interest, if we have any other lurkers and they want to sub in for fox for a bit, please post! get in before the fall ;)

OK, thanks.

I should have my report complete and posted sometime this evening.

I will have the GG build a mil acad in Nidaros, once we have mil sci.

355, 1675ad
healing frigate in Birka.

356, 1685ad
A skirmish with Bod's caravel fleet and our colonial fleet. Sank 6, lost 1 galleon. Exploring the southeast part of the map with the privateer.

357, 1690ad
Colonial fleet heals in Seville. Our frigate sinks another of Bod's caravels.

358, 1695ad
Nidaros starts another zerk. Once complete, we will root out the Celtic squatters.

359, 1700ad
Hatty has a frigate cruising in our waters. We get mil sci, mil acad in Nidaros.

361, 1702ad
Hatty kills our caravel guarding Uppsala's net and pillages the net.

362, 1704ad
Beat a frigate out of Seville--it had grown unhappy.

363, 1706ad
It takes two frigates to kill hers. Payback is a b*tch.

364, 1708ad
Organizing our galleon fleet near/in Birka to take it to Bodicea.

365, 1710ad
Workboat on the way to Uppsala. Blew some money upgrading a G2 archer to xbow and galley to galleon in Nidaros.

I left it to the next player to root out Bod's Hooverville near Nidaros by (possibly) sacking the treb. Two zerks completed, so i believe sufficient force is available.

I grabbed some 1 turn techs (alphabet and aesthetics), we are 15 turns @ 40% sci for steel to get drydocks and cannons.

Attachments

• RotQM06 AD-1710.CivBeyondSwordSave
    280.2 KB · Views: 66
DOH! I'm up in this too!!

My fault ~ seems like every game of mine has come due at once!!

Will play and post ASAP!

Okay, I played about 18 turns, leaving us about 5 turns from Steel, which will help. I figure Oz is right; we need to move east quickly. So, I decided to dial down research, send our galleons to pick up our beserkers-now-Grenadiers from old Russia (where there’s also ANOTHER Egyptian city!)

I sent that army east.

I also destroyed the celitc incursion, and I think we're in a bad way right now. We lost several galleons and more than several frigates to Celtia and Egypt (who now has Ironclads!!).

We hit Ten Million people:

And we finally made a dent on Hatty:

I razed the city; what’s the mechanic on partisans appearing?? Will they appear on an archi. map if the city’s on a different continent?? Doesn’t seem so, but.

I used frigates to take down the defenses there, but our fleet is being decimated by Hatty; we need to be careful.

Here’s where I left the army situation:

Both cities should fall easily, and most of our cities our focusing on production. We need more frigates and SOTLs, as well as maybe one or two more galleons. We’ve got a nice Grennie force so if we’re careful, we shouldn’t need more for a bit of time.

Sorry about the delay, and thus, sub-par report ~

roster
ozzie >> UP NOW
stuge >> on deck
pigswil
talamane
pholkhero >> just played

Attachments

• RotQM06 AD-1744.CivBeyondSwordSave
    293 KB · Views: 60
Hatty being 12 turns from Combustion might be the death knell for us.

And then there is the physics/airship thing. The AI sure loves to build them.

Just something to cheer everyone up. :mischief:

PS How does one do the "originally posted by x" tag on quotes? I was looking for some documentation on the editor to find out how this is done.

NM, i "figured" it out, another senior moment. *sigh*

A quick review shows us in position to take two Egyptian cities but leaving the rest of the AI in peace. It seems we're on a take out Hatty or else gambit.

I take Avaris without losses, think really hard about whether to keep it or not and decide to do so, mainly to stop Hatty resettling and provide a bit of added production.

Lisht however is razed, and Combustion is now 1 extra turn for Hatty.

I use Avaris as a collection point for my navy and load the troops onto the galleons and then move the galleons back to port. I'll move them out again once the ironclads are gone.

Steel comes in and trebs are upgraded across the empire (research is dialled down to 0). We choose Paper as our new tech of choice.

Our army makes the next destination but the navy might not make it back.

Sure enough our frigates are gone. No mind as I take the city with no losses next turn, killing of the two ships of the line in the process. It's a holy city so I keep it (no shrine though) and it also provides a safe haven for my galleons.

{oops,missed piccie}

I had a weird bug happen (I think), where every city in the empire seemed to have been whipped (honest it wasn't me). No idea what effect that will have (except lowering our research and population) :mad:

Razed.

I leave the game with the onset of Paper the same turn Hatty gets Combustion. Printing Press probably seems the best choice now. Maybe Drama as theatres will add 1 to the happiness.

Notes.

There are two ironclads pimping around Bjogvin. Needless to say we can't do anything about them.

I have a second fleet approaching the Egyptian front. Not sure what to do with them at the moment.

I'm trying to clear the old Russian lands as well. Not sure if we can or not though.

This cost me a cannon and grennie (thankfully not one of the CR3 ones). Razed.

Where do we go from here?

The big question is really does Hatty have Oil or Uranium. If she does, we're farked. If she doesn't we may just be all right.

In either case we have to push on against one of her islands. Maybe the south is the place to attack (Hieraconpolis and Giza), not sure? She has machine guns, so the old CR3 grens aren't quite as effective. We just have to be a bit imaginative/careful about how we move the navy to avoid the ironclads. There are now two cities over that side that we can use as stopping points.

Our economy stinks, so I've got plenty of infrastucture being built (whip as you see fit). Maybe look at deleting old troops in cities that are safe and don't need the HR happy. We have a few cities without state religion, maybe add some missionaries in somewhere.

Other than that, fight the good fight and hope for the best, it's all we can do :lol:

Attachments

• RotQM06 AD-1768.CivBeyondSwordSave
    302.5 KB · Views: 87
The big question is really does Hatty have Oil or Uranium. If she does, we're farked. If she doesn't we may just be all right.

No kidding, destroyers (and airships) are going to be painful. Destroyers vs frigates and/or SotLs is a very one-sided proposition. And now we need to beat drydocks out of our citizenry, i guess.

Nice work there. Our Egyptian toehold is expensive, but necessary--good call! :goodjob:

I guess I'm up. Any advice? Like your favorite gods to pray to?

Maybe: don't worry about Bod at the moment and focus on Hatty. Our ships are obviously safer in cities so plan movement accordingly (even if it may not be the most direct route).

Most Importantly: Kill, kill, kill! :viking: = :evil:

Good turns Oz ~ way to push forward some more. I agree, the only way to go forward now is all in on Hatty ~ every city we take cuts down on her research and production that much more (and one of those islands might have oil) ~ oh, and do we even know for sure that they're TWO islands :) I looks liek the northern one is the closer one, though, no? Good thing we have those extra MPs.

Are we able to see their resources even if we don't have the available tech for it, i.e., could we see Oil on the trade screen for Hatty??

roster
ozzie >> just played
stuge >> UP NOW, has it, & looking for spiritual advice
pigswill >> on deck
talamane
pholkhero

Are we able to see their resources even if we don't have the available tech for it, i.e., could we see Oil on the trade screen for Hatty??

Not sure about the resource screen. I assume that it says "resource trading not allowed" as we're at war but it might show :confused:

We can see the oil wells or uranium mines (without seeing the resource). The oil wells won't be up as Combustion just came in last turn and she might not have Physics yet. I couldn't see anything suspicious yet.

I had a game with at least 2 mined uranium resources but I couldn't build a nuke sub because (according to the game) I didn't have uranium. It could be because I didn't know fusion / fission (what ever). That makes sense but is that how the game is meant to work?

You can mine uranium as soon as you can see it but you can't use it for fuel until you've discovered fission to build a reactor (which does kind of makes sense).

Top Bottom