SGOTM 21 - Plastic Ducks

I'm quite surprised that kossin had such thought about GP production even after the game was completed. We had known that our war progress was the major problem. Producing more GPs only made it worse. Most of our late productions were used to produce military units and settlers instead of beakers, and we also burned a lot of cash on upgrading galleys, catas, and trebs. I don't see where we were short of cash, only the opposite.

I'm quite surprised that kossin had such thought about GP production even after the game was completed. We had known that our war progress was the major problem. Producing more GPs only made it worse. Most of our late productions were used to produce military units and settlers instead of beakers, and we also burned a lot of cash on upgrading galleys, catas, and trebs. I don't see where we were short of cash, only the opposite.

Did we stay on 100% slider the whole game? Of course, it isn't possible but saves turns.

If less focus was spent on some of those island with settlers/workboats, more army would be available earlier. Same with some infrastructure.

@kossin

When did we stop research to gather gold after Education? ;) Or in which cities did we have enough early happiness, or religion, or GP slots to generate Great People?

Honestly, our GA timing was a big problem in this game, (6 turns left on only the 3rd GA of the game at the finish), but GP generation was always in line with our horizon of expectations. Meaning no offense, you seem to have developed a preoccupation with GPs in recent SGOTMs, ever since snaaty's HOF space-race thread, and when the reality of the game does not accord with the ideal, you throw out doomsday predictions that do nothing to help team spirit or advance play. I mean, when I tried to show to you why we had not generated more than 3 Great People before Education, and how :hammers: for our army were the pressing problem and not :gp: , you said that we should have researched Monarchy. :confused:

Again, I mean no offense when I say this, but I seriously hope that you will reacquire enough interest in Civ to play a set in the future, so that you can reconcile your belief in the power of GPs with the demands of the game to hand.
None taken, but I wish the reverse could be true also: the team gets so defensive when something different is brought up. GP generation helps with :mad:, same as slow building settlers.

I should have voiced my concerns about the approach sooner rather, unfortunately I just don't have the free time I used to.

Anyhow, it may be better if I go if that's the general sentiment. Not that I helped much in any case so it's certainly best that I don't do the opposite.

I had a blast.

Did we stay on 100% slider the whole game? Of course, it isn't possible but saves turns.

If less focus was spent on some of those island with settlers/workboats, more army would be available earlier. Same with some infrastructure.

How could we produce more army earlier? I hope that you take a careful look at the save, and read previous posts without bias.

• First, Iron is not available, we have construction earlier enough, the metal units were the limited factor of starting the 1st war.
  • Second, happiness could not afford. We used the big cities which were far away from battle field to produce those settlers for island cities. How could you whip Athens and Argos for more military units?
  • 3rd, have you ever thought about how much those island cities had contributed? Beakers, worker, settler, muskets, galleons, cannons, and even frigates.

I think everyone in the team has the chance to voice his/her opinions. However, if you want yours to be the final decision, you have to convince the majority. As your oldest partner, I won't hesitate if I feel convincing, just like your preference of Cathy task #2.;)

Looking good. Construction vs Shaka should be very profitable (unless he somehow has super-gems to reach Feudalism quickly). Keep in mind Horse Archers + Catapults are available if there is no Iron handy. Archers for defense...
Of course it would not be very easy in hindsight with the way things developed but we would have adapted the same way we did: WvO first target.

I would like to think that capturing enemy cities even 1T earlier is better than settling 2~3 island cities when GLH is already maxed.

Happiness issue was a function of team decisions with infrastructure. When I raised the issue, it was too late - I know.

Take it as constructive criticism.

EDIT: it will be interesting to see how we caught up as we were behind 10 turns for a while. Or what went wrong elsewhere.

Good work Ducks! I updated your clues post and now I hope you join the lurkers thread and tell everyone what you think.

You played a great game. It's hard when real life means players can't commit as much time. The team just has to continue doing as they see best.

What is the true saturation point of GLH??? 20 cities?? I know cities will grow and maybe make it worth it but some island cities just become more of a hassle compared to capturing 3-4 Ai coastal cities. It's an interesting debate.

Gratz on a tie.:goodjob:

It was fun following TSR and PD finish.

Regarding luck, getting both oracle and late glh is still better than silver.
Leaving Shaka for later was very intelligent from TSR. Accelerated domination by a fair margin.

Exploring WB is OP :).

Of course it would not be very easy in hindsight with the way things developed but we would have adapted the same way we did: WvO first target.

I would like to think that capturing enemy cities even 1T earlier is better than settling 2~3 island cities when GLH is already maxed.

I strongly disagree, earlier capture a underdeveloped city gives 1T earlier advantage of a city yield, while not settling island cities lose a ton of beaker and production.

Happiness issue was a function of team decisions with infrastructure. When I raised the issue, it was too late - I know.

Take it as constructive criticism.

EDIT: it will be interesting to see how we caught up as we were behind 10 turns for a while. Or what went wrong elsewhere.

The setup of empire, more island cities and more infrastructures. that's where 4500bpt come from.

That's why I said that you SHOULD take a look at the save carefully and then criticize! Only Shaka had HBR on T94 save. You have to give feasible and realistic ways for your thoughts, not imaginations.

Either yourself clam down and study the saves carefully, or if Doshin and Kaitzilla want to explain to you further as they had run extensive tests at that time. I won't try further just as I said before, I failed to convince you for expansion in SGOTM18, so I don't think I could before you change back to my teammate in SGOTM11 to 13.:)

One day, I'll publish: "How to set up a 1-tile Fish Island in Just 25 turns!" It will be a bestseller.

Where do I put the preorder?

You played a great game. It's hard when real life means players can't commit as much time. The team just has to continue doing as they see best.

What is the true saturation point of GLH??? 20 cities?? I know cities will grow and maybe make it worth it but some island cities just become more of a hassle compared to capturing 3-4 Ai coastal cities. It's an interesting debate.

The limited factor is when is the turn of victory as island cities need some turns to get the necessary infrastructures (Gra+LH). With some tricks that Doshin proposed, it takes about 35T to pay the bill (1 settler + 1 WB).

There are dozens of posts in our thread for this issue. Here's the link for commerce situation.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13740429&postcount=975

If you are interested, you could read pages around that post for more discussions.

That's why I said that you SHOULD take a look at the save carefully and then criticize! Only Shaka had HBR on T94 save. You have to give feasible and realistic ways for your thoughts, not imaginations.

Either yourself clam down and study the saves carefully, or if Doshin and Kaitzilla want to explain to you further as they had run extensive tests at that time. I won't try further just as I said before, I failed to convince you for expansion in SGOTM18, so I don't think I could before you change back to my teammate in SGOTM11 to 13.:)

I am clam down, don't worry :lol:

We will have to agree to disagree.

The only thing I hope the team will take from this long discussion of ours is not to get so tunnel-syndromed with the same old habits all the time.

If the team ever has doubts whether it can prioritize :gp: more, then I've done my job.

I don't know, kossin. You seem to have constructed a narrative that we neglect or mismanage :gp: as a team, and then apply this analysis to scenarios where it is wildly off base. That feels more like tunnel-syndrome to me.

Now that files are available, you should compare the TSR save from 50BC with the PD save from 50BC. Where do the chief differences lie? In :hammers:, :), :science: (whether beakers or tech path), war progress, or :gp: ?

Now examine the 250 and 275BC saves. How did TSR manage to get so far ahead?

I'm quite open to new ideas and criticism, as long as the criticism is on the mark. If you want to say that our exploring WB did quite a bit better than we could have hoped, then that's fair enough. Or if you want to say that beelining Astronomy would have let us fight Archers instead of Longbows in England and France, then I totally agree. But posts like this left me utterly confused, because I couldn't reconcile what you were arguing with the reality of the game to hand.

Great work in the end! :goodjob: It's been popcorn mode for me for quite some time, the required level of engagement demanded much more free time than I had.

So, how did TSR play it exactly? Really impressive that it all ended on the same turn.

GLH, Catas+HAs, spy city for WvO, early Astronomy. :shifty:

From what I glanced, we caught up because they didn't concentrate enough on development after their good initial read and went a bit everywhere. They had Industrialism on T168 and a big cash stash of 5000+ at the end, 7 turns of excess GA :confused:

Think about our direction after T65 again. The best way for us would be

Stick to original Astro+Eng bulb plan and ignore GLH. with Mansa in game and lots of oversea AIs found , we probably only need 3~4 more GSs to achieve the goal.

We could still take 2 William's best cities ~T105, but will have intercontinental stacks ready by T105. The next step would be taking GLH city and French cities, Which is going to put us on way better military position.

The main reason why I hesitated for a while and then changed to the conventional GLH+REXing way was that I underestimated the tech speed of this map, but overestimated the need of GPs in this game (3 GPs for Izzy's task#1, and thought that we needed to run 4 GAs including the one from Taj.

:bowdown::bowdown:

Hurray!

I lurked out, when saw 1 team poped silver on turn 26 and another oracled CS! It was like "Gods wish to bring ducks down" :lol:

Huge game guys! :thumbsup:

Some of the more interesting graphs:

Top Bottom