Shopping Thread .. or What Did You Buy?

He was worshipped in the first movie because he was the Boy Who Lived, something never before done. You don't, can't, survive the avada kadavra curse. To the common person, Harry was an enigma, an anomaly, ferreted away and watched in secret until he could come of age. He was essentially a mythic tale until that moment.

I think surviving the avada kedavra should have been a little more occurring and known phenomenon/magic? Surely Harry wasn't the first one ever to have had someone die for him?

Grew up with the books and obviously love them, but one doesn't have that uncritical eyes of a child anymore... How come they are never tempted to use that time rewind thing Hermione used in the Prisoner of Azkaban? That part should never have gotten into the books...

@Lexicus I'm not really a fan of the films, but why do you think the 6th is flaming hot garbage?

Spoiler :

Almost entirely eliminated Quidditch, an important plot element in the 6th book, in favor of scenes like the dumb chase thing at the Burrow. The way the death eaters just walk out of Hogwarts at the end is terrible. There is no chemistry between Harry and Ginny whatsoever, so the relationship comes even more out of nowhere than in the books. there are other reasons but it's been a long time since I watched that and I ain't about to watch it now just to say all the things I hate about it lol

Grew up with the books and obviously love them, but one doesn't have that uncritical eyes of a child anymore... How come they are never tempted to use that time rewind thing Hermione used in the Prisoner of Azkaban? That part should never have gotten into the books...

Spoiler :
"No spell can reawaken the dead, Harry. Except the Time-Turner but we won't mention that."

Spoiler :

Might I interest you in a SPEW subplot that goes nowhere?
How can you claim the SPEW plot doesn't go anywhere? The SPEW plot is tied up in the larger plot of the 4th book since it's how we find out Dobby and Winky are at Hogwarts, and prejudice against House-elves becomes incredibly important later on when the Death Eaters and Voldemort himself underestimate House-elf magic in ways that lead to their downfall. Dobby is able to apparate into and out of Malfoy Manor while Kreacher apparates out of the Horcrux cave.

Last edited:
I mean 1 and 2 are alright, 3 is okay, 4 is hot garbage, 5 is okay, 6 is flaming hot garbage, 7 pt 1 is actually pretty good and 7 pt 2 is flaming garbage
The books are all at least pretty good.

IMHO, in both the books and the movies, 1 was the best, then slowly the humor leaks out of the series. 2 isn't as good as 1. 3 isn't as good as 2. and so forth. I had all the books on tape when i was in the US, but donated them to charity when I came here. Here, I bought all the movies. The book 7 movies are unwatchable.

Meanwhile getting back on topic, the wood supports and metal sheets for the replacement roof for the little house have arrived. The pre-paint coats are being applied. :cool:

Well, yes, but what confuses you? I'm sure there's an answer that doesn't need book knowledge.
I've just explained that there are things that I missed or misunderstood because of the way the movies are shown during these marathons. It's not 1-8 x 3, it's 1-3 x 3, then 2-4 x 3, then 5-6 x 3, and finally 7-8 x 3. By the time the later movies come along, I've forgotten some of the characters or plot points that came up in earlier movies that reappear in the later ones.

RE: A better opinion of Harry... Eh... Maybe? You're given more context in the books, but his behaviours are mostly the same between the two mediums.
Context and nuance matter to me when I'm trying to get into a new series and understand the characters.

He was worshipped in the first movie because he was the Boy Who Lived, something never before done. You don't, can't, survive the avada kadavra curse. To the common person, Harry was an enigma, an anomaly, ferreted away and watched in secret until he could come of age. He was essentially a mythic tale until that moment.
Okay. It's still annoying, though. I guess I've just absorbed one of the primary themes of Dune: "Beware the charismatic leader". Hero-worship almost never works out the way you expect, or want. Characters who are always noble are boring. They need a flaw or two, so if Harry's got some inner conflict going on that the books explain better than the movies, that's a good thing.

Harry's definitely not a "charismatic leader" by any means. He can often barely keep his trio of friends talking to each other. He constantly makes stupid mistakes and succumbs to his impulses. He grows a lot from book 1 to book 7.

Harry's definitely not a "charismatic leader" by any means. He can often barely keep his trio of friends talking to each other. He constantly makes stupid mistakes and succumbs to his impulses. He grows a lot from book 1 to book 7.
He is in the sense that people do what he says, or at least they keep blathering on about what a fantastic wizard he is (not saying he doesn't eventually become skilled, but he isn't in the early movies yet he's granted all this hero-worship he hasn't actually earned). In situations where most people would just walk away, the characters in the movies do all kinds of crazy, dangerous things for Harry's sake, even though it's apt to get them seriously injured, if not killed.

Charisma isn't always positive. Some of the worst tyrants in real history were also very charismatic.

BTW, I'm going to say that the dealbreaker for me to even consider watching these movies in the first place was Maggie Smith. I loved her in Downton Abbey (Dowager Countess Violet is my favorite character in that series) and wanted to see what kind of character she played in this batch of movies.

I think the "download more RAM" meme developed in part due to the "you wouldn't download a car" meme which was propped up by this hilarious ad:

and then the "you wouldn't download a car" meme intermixed with the popularity of fake "tools" for Windows which "cleaned your RAM", "sped up your PC", but were mostly just modeled after CCleaner and brought viruses and browser add ons.

with the popularity of fake "tools" for Windows which "cleaned your RAM", "sped up your PC", but were mostly just modeled after CCleaner and brought viruses and browser add ons.

My mother once ran a dodgy "system cleaner" tool. It deleted half the registry and rendered the computer unbootable. :ack:

Bought a couple pairs of shorts and a bunch of car stickers and a few used books from local stores and some winter boots from the LLBean flagship store while in Maine last week.

I've downloaded more RAM ! :lol::lol::lol:

But is it HTCPCP-compatible?

I bought some shoes and t-shirts today. I bought a pair of new balance tennis shoes for working out back in March and the back of the shoes fell apart within weeks. It's probably my fault because I do not lace my shoes, I just slip them on and I think that wears them out. It was still annoying they fell apart so soon and I ended up continuing to wear them out of spite until they gave me blisters. My last pair of New Balance shoes lasted me years so I'm not sure what happened with these.

I am in a bit of a pickle with pants. I want/need some new pairs of pants but I can't justify it as I work from home and only ever leave the house to walk the dog, ride my bike or go to the gym. So I have a bunch of pairs of gym shorts that I wear every day because why soil regular pants and workout pants each day? (the workouts are in the afternoon so it's not like I'm working in dirty shorts all day)

Covid has created some really weird problems for sure

Top Bottom