Should I bother to vote this year?

Should I vote?

• I have another opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

downtown

Crafternoon Delight
I've never missed a US election before, but I'm seriously considering skipping this one. Here's my thinking. I'd be interested to see if anybody can talk me back into voting...I'm open to it!

I recently moved to Maryland's 4th congressional district. No Republican has ever earned more than 25% of the vote in the area, given the demographic makeup of the district (majority African American, highly white-collar, almost exclusively urban). My representative is going to win with around ~80% of the vote, and also happens to be somebody with whom I agree on most important issues. She does not need my vote to win, nor to win with a demonstrated show of force.

I do not plan to live in this district for the next election (2016), and it's entirely possible i won't even live in this state. I don't own a car, and my attachment to Maryland, as an entity, is almost nil. I spend almost all of my time (including where I work) in DC, or within a .5 mile square radius around my apartment. Not only do I not feel particularly informed about Maryland state issues outside of the immediate DC suburban area, I'm even sure I care that much. Outside of a state tax rate, it is difficult for me to see how they would impact me.

I do have solid political preferences at the national level, or even my regional (i.e issues that directly impact folks near the beltway, like transportation), but I don't really have preferences for statewide issues.

Should I bother to vote? Why or why not? poll coming

I likely won't vote for the very simple reason that I don't like any of the candidates. I refuse to vote for either the Democrats or Republicans.

No, you shouldn't (despite I actually ticked the above option :p). I fundamentally agree with your reasoning here as well.

Wait - did I understand you correctly:

Do you support Republicans and they never get more than 25% in that district so you think your vote means nothing anyway?

Or do you support a Democratic representative who is going to win with 80% of votes even without your participation?

I refuse to vote for either the Democrats or Republicans.

And you have no other parties in the USA ??? Maybe it's time to create some 3rd party.

Vote Republican. Perennial one-party local politics is a recipe for complacency.

What did you plan on doing instead that's more important?

And you have no other parties in the USA ??? Maybe it's time to create some 3rd party.

There are, just they usually suck. Or more accurately, there is no real cohesive platform (not that there is with democrats and republicans either, but you expect them to primarily vote with their party bloc) so it is a highly case by case basis

Or sometimes, as is the case where I am, there is a blanket primary where top 2 go to general election. I have the choice between a tea party guy or some republican; i.e. I wont be voting

Edit: I dont really care too much about state issues

Or do you support a Democratic representative who is going to win with 80% of votes even without your participation?

I generally support Democratic politicians. This particular democrat is actually pretty close to my views, and shares a focus on things that remain particularly important to me. I've lived in non-competitive areas before, and haven't felt bad about voting agianst the incumbent Dem if they're a moron of if they're a 3rd party person who could apply pressure to act on a particular issue if they grab say, 15%. This isn't the case here.

Vote Republican. Perennial one-party local politics is a recipe for complacency.

There is some truth to that, and if I was voting for mayor, I'd look at it harder, but I can't say that would help much for a US rep race. Also, the Republican running is a moron.

What did you plan on doing instead that's more important?
Working. Election day isn't a holiday.

Can you not vote on your way home from work? I usually find that I can fit it in for such a small amount of effort that it seems lazy to miss it - if anything, it's an excuse for a walk to the polling station.

What's on the ballot? Just the House election?

Thank god you don't live in some backwards place where you're not allowed to make this choice. (I'm looking at you Australia!)

Yeah, in your situation it'd be a tossup for me as well, so I dunno. Apparently Iowa is competitive this year, so my roommates are urging me to vote, though I was likely to do so anyways. Just gotta read up on the ballot and issues up to vote beforehand.

Working. Election day isn't a holiday.

Doesn't your employer have to let you leave early so you can vote? If polls close before you finish work.

I'm guessing you'd rather stay at work anyway, but am curious if you guys don't have laws like that in place to allow people to vote (you probably do).

Totally off-topic, but why aren't elections always on Sunday? That's how we do it in Brazil.

Can you not vote on your way home from work? I usually find that I can fit it in for such a small amount of effort that it seems lazy to miss it - if anything, it's an excuse for a walk to the polling station.

I probably wouldn't get home in time, but I could wake up early and vote on my way to work. My schedule varies a lot from day to day, so if some news breaks right when I was going to leave the office, tough crap, I have to stay.

What's on the ballot? Just the House election?

I believe some local bond issues, and most importantly, a Governor race. It seems to be competitive-ish (democrats outnumber republicans 2:1 in maryland, but the Republican is running a real campaign so it should be kinda close)...but I haven't followed the race at all, and since I don't expect to live here for more than a year, feel weird about stepping into things that don't impact me so much.

Doesn't your employer have to let you leave early so you can vote? If polls close before you finish work.

I'm guessing you'd rather stay at work anyway, but am curious if you guys don't have laws like that in place to allow people to vote (you probably do).
Yeah, they'd have to let me, but I'd rather work, and me leaving for an extended period (I live an hour away by train from the office), would hurt. Quite frankly, I'd to save my flexibility time for taking my daughter to doctor's appointments.

Totally off-topic, but why aren't elections always on Sunday? That's how we do it in Brazil.

They aren't because conservatives in the US have opposed any measures that would increase turnout.

Top Bottom