• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Should we be moral? Why?

Gogf

Indescribable
What is special about moral actions that makes them preferable to immoral actions? Why do people who believe that morality is just an evolutionary construct act morally?

Well, we engage in lots of activities/preferences, even if we know they're evolutionarily motivated.
We know there're evolutionary reasons for liking sweets: but we still eat sweets!

And a good morality system is transmissible: they're good ideas all by themselves, or they're actions we're going to encourage in others. So, you do it because it's either a good idea, because you're motivated by instinct, or because it's encouraged :)

Because they let people get along better together (most times) and not kill each other and they pass on their jeans.

Well, people get along much better if they all follow a certain moral code and stick by it. It usually helps to unite a community.

Also, your upbringing or interactions with society would probably instill a moral code in such a way that if you broke it, you would feel guilty.

Because the only alternative for determining the worth of actions is equally empty and meaningless (gratification).

Morality stems from the laws of cause and effect.

For the feeling of moral superiority.
But... is the feeling of moral superiority immoral? :confused:

For the feeling of moral superiority.
But... is the feeling of moral superiority immoral? :confused:

You avoid that feeling by seeing yourself as more a vessel of morality. For instance, the guitar doesn't play the song, but it makes the sounds.

Morality stems from the laws of cause and effect.

That's the essential basis of the theory of karma and the basis for Buddhist ethics. Unethical actions are to be avoided because they're "unskillful" and by their nature lead to suffering for self and others, not because there's some Guy In The Sky (TM) enforcing his personal morality.

A few years ago I heard of some studies based on game theory that purport to show that when individuals within a group behave cooperatively or altruistically towards each other, the expected outcome for each individual is higher than if every individual were to behave selfishly. That probably hints at the real evolutionary basis for morality -- societies where moral behavior is practiced by more individuals probably survive longer.

Well, we engage in lots of activities/preferences, even if we know they're evolutionarily motivated.
We know there're evolutionary reasons for liking sweets: but we still eat sweets!

And a good morality system is transmissible: they're good ideas all by themselves, or they're actions we're going to encourage in others. So, you do it because it's either a good idea, because you're motivated by instinct, or because it's encouraged :)

I would argue that the only qualification for a good moral system is that it's true.

Well.. why not?

If more people act morally then the world will be a cooler place. Makes sense to me.

Lots of people think that there are such things as "moral imperatives" which we must do and "absolute moral wrongs" which we must not do. Do you think this is true?

Yes

To build a society for the mutual benefit of all

You never responded to me in your previous thread (or if you did and I'm mistaken, please tell me). I think that the existence of the six-billion different "moral frameworks" possessed by the people on this planet prevents the planet from being much, much worse off than it is right now. There's a vested interest on the part of everyone to not screw up the world further.

You never responded to me in your previous thread (or if you did and I'm mistaken, please tell me). I think that the existence of the six-billion different "moral frameworks" possessed by the people on this planet prevents the planet from being much, much worse off than it is right now. There's a vested interest on the part of everyone to not screw up the world further.

I apologize. That thread got derailed and became huge, and I missed a lot of it.

I agree with you that the world is probably more enjoyable to live in if everyone acts in accordance with some moral framework, but why does this mean that I should follow a moral framework? It seems that you are touching on the idea of duties to others or to society at large, but where do those duties come from? Why are they compulsory in the way that morals are?

You should. I shouldn't. Ideally everyone except me would be moral thereby giving me an advantage over everyone else.

I would argue that the only qualification for a good moral system is that it's true.

Being true is a necessary or sufficient condition of a good moral system?

I agree with you that the world is probably more enjoyable to live in if everyone acts in accordance with some moral framework, but why does this mean that I should follow a moral framework?

Is there anything that is inherently a reason that you should follow a moral framework?

I apologize. That thread got derailed and became huge, and I missed a lot of it.

No hard feelings :)

I agree with you that the world is probably more enjoyable to live in if everyone acts in accordance with some moral framework, but why does this mean that I should follow a moral framework? It seems that you are touching on the idea of duties to others or to society at large, but where do those duties come from? Why are they compulsory in the way that morals are?

I guess this one is my fault; I was answering the question "why do people have moral frameworks," not specifically "Why should I/we be moral." I don't have a sophisticated or nuanced answer to the latter question, but if the vested-interest answer doesn't satisfy one, one should probably consider the base pleasures that one feels when one feels that he or she does something right or moral. Or, conversely, the base displeasure or anxiety that he or she feels when he or she does something wrong or immoral.

We as a society have determined what we believe to be the optimal code of behavior for peaceful coexistence within that society, and so that it operates with maximal efficiency. That is what moral behavior is. It's nothing more than a set of behaviors enforced at the social level, instead of at the legal level through law enforcement, which cannot possibly have the resources to do so (nor the interest).

If more people act morally then the world will be a cooler place. Makes sense to me.

It's a sad, sad day when questions like these don't have obvious answers. Why do machines need maintenance? Why must parts be constructed and connected such that they work in concert? I'm sure the answer to that one requires hundreds of dissertations.

Top Bottom