Single Player bugs and crashes - After the 24th of February 2014

Thanks for the explanation. For some reason I got the impression that the withdrawal feature was limited to the early game. Perhaps something in the documentation said that it would help spice up the early game, and I may have made an assumption from that.

I was able to get it to start promoting normally by giving the GG Morale 1 using Worldedit. So not gamebreaking at this point. My next fix attempt would have been to take him to attack some civ units and see if that triggered it.

Yeah, I still have to write up a Player's Guide for the Fight or Flight option. Eventually I'll do a Player's Guide for all the options I've made.

I'll look into the GG issue soon.

I was able to get it to start promoting normally by giving the GG Morale 1 using Worldedit. So not gamebreaking at this point. My next fix attempt would have been to take him to attack some civ units and see if that triggered it.

I had the same issue but at some point it just started to show up when it can be promoted. I think it was after saving and loading my game, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hello
I can't access to the interior councillor screen (F1) is it a bug?
thanks

I am not having a problem, which just means the bug is not on the Python.

Check your caveman2Cosmos/UserSettings folder. There should be two files CustDomAdv.INI and CustomDomAdv.INI. If you delete them and start a game they should be recreated with the default values in them. That will fix any corruptions in them.

I am seeing barbarian cities with pops 3-6 often.

When Composite Bow showed up in my current game the new Barb cities now have defenders. Generally 2 Composite quickly joined by a 3rd. I watch a brand new city form along a tundra route to my farthest city and it formed with 2 Composites. The screenshots I provided before was just south on this newest city. And they formed empty. So it has to do with When they form in relationship to what units are available. And they seem to be tied into Archers of the Composite level (str 5) not the 1st level archers (str 4).

JosEPh

Barb cities are well defended (10+ Composite Bowman) in my game and also a decent defense bonus (up to 30%).

But the AI didn't build any improvements on their tiles :confused: Only when I gave it a ton of Animal Workers they started to do it (a bit...)

I am not having a problem, which just means the bug is not on the Python.

Check your caveman2Cosmos/UserSettings folder. There should be two files CustDomAdv.INI and CustomDomAdv.INI. If you delete them and start a game they should be recreated with the default values in them. That will fix any corruptions in them.

thank you
I only have the first of the 2. I deleted and the problem is still here : no access

1st one of these I've had since 2009, MAF, see screenshot.

C2C was using 2.8 Million KB of memory at the time. I have 8GB of DDR3 1333 mhz ram coupled with an i7 2600K cpu and 2gb of DDR5 Nvidia vid memory Plus My paging file is 8124 MB in size too, in a win 7 64 professional OS. 4 of the 8 cores were spiked out.

C2C has become too much of a memory hog. Or it has some serious memory leaks. Better call in a "doctor" quick cause this will break this mod if it continues. Seriously. :(

JosEPh

thank you
I only have the first of the 2. I deleted and the problem is still here : no access

Do you get any error messages saying you can't write to a file when you start? If you do then you need to run Beyond The Sword in administrator mode.

If not are there any messages on the screen or in the PythonLog.Err file (see first post of this thread for its location).

C2C has become too much of a memory hog.
JosEPh

I suggest you try and remove or turn off some of the custom civilizations! As graphics are added so memory will be used.

C2C was using 2.8 Million KB of memory at the time. I have 8GB of DDR3 1333 mhz ram coupled with an i7 2600K cpu and 2gb of DDR5 Nvidia vid memory Plus My paging file is 8124 MB in size too, in a win 7 64 professional OS. 4 of the 8 cores were spiked out.

C2C has become too much of a memory hog. Or it has some serious memory leaks. Better call in a "doctor" quick cause this will break this mod if it continues. Seriously. :(

JosEPh
I agree completely agree with him, i was plagued by MAFs and CTDS on all my games and had to repeatedly start new games. I would recommend someone to look into the memory usage.

Do you get any error messages saying you can't write to a file when you start? If you do then you need to run Beyond The Sword in administrator mode.

If not are there any messages on the screen or in the PythonLog.Err file (see first post of this thread for its location).

I do not get any error message I can play normally otherwise
I have the same problem for the revolution councillor, no progblem with the others
It came with c2c 34, 33 was ok
I reinstalled it without better result

more interesting things with the boat feature. i found you can get everything off the boat by using the unload all feature in a city. i also realized that when moving my hero onto the ship he didn't vanish but was underneath the ship when the ship was moved he was still there. so the problem is with the ship somehow if you remove all from the galley nothing after that can enter the ship making it useless as transport. not sure if this a ship problem or a captive problem. maybe its captive mixed with the size maters?
Now that you mention it, I AM aware of problems that would be caused for transport units AND for units that were in the game before the new transportation method was implemented into Size Matters. May well have a lot to do with that. Probably will clear up if you delete your transport units and rebuild them. Some of those units you built before the change may also cause some issues. That probably will work itself out over some time in playing. A new game should not have these problems.

I said it before. But none had noticed it.

The espionage points could be getting memory overflow. Can someone look into my savegame and see it?

Thanks.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=371823&d=1394451599
I've got it on my list of tasks to look into this and the culture overflows further.

RE MAFs: Reviewing this thread leads me to consider that there may be a memory overflow taking place in the multi-core processing mechanism. I've not been having these issues at all. For those struggling here it might be a processor incompatibility (possibly too advanced for the methods employed?) May want to try reducing the cores in use to 1 in the A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml. Here:
Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>NUM_CITY_PIPELINE_THREADS</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>1</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>
There's also a vague possibility that some of the OOS fixes I'm working on may also clear some of it up. Reports here suggest the paging system may be causing some memory issues too. But some of what n47 may have done to try to improve our memory footprint may have backfired.

Unfortunately, the cold hard truth is that all our best professional level programmers are deeply distracted at the moment. I do believe that we've got a coding problem causing those issues and that it's not so much a matter of content volume - though DH did bring up an interesting point about the volume of unit art we've added - I'd hate to even think that's becoming a problem given how cool it all is.

<snip>

I suggest you try and remove or turn off some of the custom civilizations! As graphics are added so memory will be used.

@DH,
I'm not sure I'm following you. I only play with 7-10 AI in a game no matter the size of the map. Although this one is a Giant PM map. And my computer specs well exceed what this mod has been needing.

Are you suggesting I should hand pick the AI for my games now?

In this game I'm isolated and have yet to even meet an AI at 2400BC. So all AI Processing and graphics are at EoT. And I've only had Barb cities spring up on my tundra continent just within the last 300 game years.

I was able to continue from an autosave, made it past the turn that had the MAF. So we will see if it does it again.

The only other thing that comes to mind was that I was in the tech tree screen adjusting my research path several times before this happened. And sometimes the Tech screen will not refresh the path unless you get out of it and comeback. (another problem I suspect)

If C2C is now so Big that an i7 2600K, 8GB DDR3 1333 mhz ram with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti with 2GB of DDR5 ram won't run it, then the Mod is Too Big and some serious pruning is called for. Or you all will need to think more Modular on content. A Core C2C which you then can add Modules too that enable specific options and/or buildings/units etc. Stuffing more stuff into the Mod is now getting to epidemic proportions. Coding is becoming suspect and you really don't have anyone to find and fix those type of problems.

I'll be the Prophet of Doom here, if you all as a Team do not stop adding to the early game you will soon break it. All modding efforts should be for the Late game and finishing the last 3 Eras. Continue to bloat the Preh thru Med eras and this Goliath is about to meet it's coding David.

JosEPh

My machine is less powerful and I am not having any problems.

With all the new graphics being added for the units memory usage is going to go up. The more unique graphics the more memory will be used. It does not matter if you have met them or not, the art for the other units in game will have been loaded.

This is why I am not a big fan of the Ethnic Diversity Units. They and more Civs are nice but they come at a steep cost.

Selecting the nations for the AI to play wont be enough because new nations will still arise. I would suggest turning off one or more civilization with the new graphics, ie edit the MLF file in the Custom_Civilizations folder. This would only be a fix in new games.

Try the suggested PIPELINE fix Thunderbrd suggests.

JosEPh

This usually only happens "now" IF you didnt clear your cache before starting C2C, or you used a different modmod then didnt clear out your cache.

I agree completely agree with him, i was plagued by MAFs and CTDS on all my games and had to repeatedly start new games. I would recommend someone to look into the memory usage.

I still say you got something wrong with the way your using C2C, cause NOBODY else is having the problems YOU are??

btw v34 is the BEST version so far, NO repeatable CTD's as far as i can tell, and i have not had a CTD in 10 games now, not even a NON-repeatable one.

Every time I launch the game, I get 2 message errors:
1) "Xml parsing SAX error: Assets\xml\text\civ4gametext_aiautoplay.xml: invalid byte 'n' at position 2 of a 4-byte sequence at line 1"
2)"load xml call failed for xml\test\civ4gametext_aiautoplay.xml
Current xml file is: xml\text\civ4gametext_cities_bts.xml"
At every message I press OK, and game starts without problems (I think?!?)
Why is this? What can I do to scratch the problem?
Have I done something wrong during installation?
Help please!

Every time I launch the game, I get 2 message errors:
1) "Xml parsing SAX error: Assets\xml\text\civ4gametext_aiautoplay.xml: invalid byte 'n' at position 2 of a 4-byte sequence at line 1"
2)"load xml call failed for xml\test\civ4gametext_aiautoplay.xml
Current xml file is: xml\text\civ4gametext_cities_bts.xml"
At every message I press OK, and game starts without problems (I think?!?)
Why is this? What can I do to scratch the problem?
Have I done something wrong during installation?
Help please!

Have you started it as "Run as Admin"?

me will have been loaded.

This is why I am not a big fan of the Ethnic Diversity Units. They and more Civs are nice but they come at a steep cost.

Same here. We made all the stuff modular and as options, but these memory monsters HAVE to be in? Can't we make a standard version with only one unit skin and the same 10 or 15 civs from vanilla bts and enable a modular "more civs" / "Ethnic diversity skins" mod with modules that can be turned off for those of us who wants to play bigger games? I don't get why we need 1000 different civs at all, you can name them as you want and you can have evolving leaders so traits are also no issue.

The civilizations are modular. All you need do is change the MLF to turn them on of off.

Which begs to wonder?? Should WE default as all OFF?? BUT then, the new re-skins are in the CORE???

My machine is less powerful and I am not having any problems.

With all the new graphics being added for the units memory usage is going to go up. The more unique graphics the more memory will be used. It does not matter if you have met them or not, the art for the other units in game will have been loaded.

Selecting the nations for the AI to play wont be enough because new nations will still arise. I would suggest turning off one or more civilization with the new graphics, ie edit the MLF file in the Custom_Civilizations folder. This would only be a fix in new games.

Try the suggested PIPELINE fix Thunderbrd suggests.

I have the Pipeline setting to what koshling recommended. See below.

Code:
<Define>
		<DefineName>PROFILER_ALTERNATE_SAMPLE_SET_SOURCE</DefineName>
		<DefineTextVal></DefineTextVal>
	</Define>
	<Define>
		<DefineName>ENABLE_BACKGROUND_PROFILING</DefineName>
		<bDefineBoolVal>1</bDefineBoolVal>
	</Define>
	<Define>
		<DefineName>NUM_CITY_PIPELINE_THREADS</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>4</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>

Just noticed that the top define here has no Value set in it. Is that intended? Can't be good or right can it?

IF I MAF again I'll reduce the pipeline by half and see what shakes out.

@SO,
I clear the cache on every new game I start. Found that out the hard way with AND just recently.

JosEPh

Top Bottom