Single Player bugs and crashes - After the 24th of February 2014

It is fixed as it stands.

The situation is normal in all mods that use WoC because it turns off the Infos leaving hanging Classes. It has been this way for years (about 6 years).

We can't do both in the XML because it checks for the existence of the Class before it checks to see if the Infos element will be kept.

So the check that gives that message needs to be fixed or the check on the Infos elements needs to check that the element will be loaded and all the existing andDependencies on Infos elements will need to be added to the Class XML for those elements.
From what I can tell, changes introduced by AIAndy or n47 or Alberts or whatever have made this no longer safe. Since we have none of the above now working on the mod you can no longer get away with this safely. I cannot fix it. I'll leave it alone for a bit to see if I can catch it being a real problem in the game (but its interesting that we start getting these messages and suddenly we have some games hanging on load and crashing...)

I was finding that they were expanding at about my speed or just a bit slower and were keeping up with me in tech etc. I play on Noble difficulty. They would normally have 3-6 cities by Sedentary Lifestyle. In my current game they still have 1 and I am about ready to expand to 11 after the consolidation needed at Sedentary Lifestyle.

I just discovered I did not have the absolute latest version.

I've seen some games acting like this... I'm not sure if it's just financial or not. Maybe they're holding too many units to want to grow. Not sure but I think a few games have been affected by this before the gold % they'd grow at was adjusted.

There's a global define at the bottom of the globaldefines.xml file that controls their gold level tolerance for growth. You might want to tweak with the number to see if a change gets them to suddenly grow. It WAS at 50 but they're all too willing to run themselves into great financial problems with their previous setting.

Another known problem is that they seem to be going for building research at inappropriate times - seems to be a panic reaction to being behind but the build selection methods in the dll don't reveal how they can get to this point so far as I've investigated. There may be some python out there forcing the research process on a city at an inappropriate juncture. It freezes the nation from being able to make any real reaction to the problem... like growth/war, etc...

@SO: I did find your game hung on load so I'll be looking into it further tonight.

Because of problems with the xml in those hanging classes. As soon as the game does a building loop and finds a null building it will probably crash.

Hi

I started a new game using SVN 7668 and the AI is not building any new towns, they stay at 1 town.

Seems the problem still existis.

Started a new game, latest SVN (7687) did a clean relead of the SVN.
The AI still does not build new towns.

Looking at the world builder they have no interesst in expanding at all.

Attachments

• davy BC-11090.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • Civ4ScreenShot0006.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 50
@ TB

On that WfoC CTD, it worked OK for about 4 turns and now CTD mini and savedgame in zip

also i get this python error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "BugEventManager", line 363, in _handleDefaultEvent
File "Revolution", line 624, in onEndPlayerTurn
File "Revolution", line 1070, in updatePlayerRevolution
File "Revolution", line 2309, in checkForRevolution
File "Revolution", line 3647, in pickRevolutionStyle
File "Revolution", line 4107, in chooseRevolutionCiv
RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception

EDIT:

Just got this error see pic 1

EDIT EDIT:

after last SVN

File "CvScreensInterface", line 599, in showWorldBuilderScreen

File "CvWorldBuilderScreen", line 136, in interfaceScreen

File "CvWorldBuilderScreen", line 4785, in refreshPlayerTabCtrl

ERR: Python function showWorldBuilderScreen failed, module CvScreensInterface

Recently I'm seeing most barbarian cities spawning without any defenders in them, shouldn't they at least spawn with 2-3 defense units in them?

It is fixed as it stands.

The situation is normal in all mods that use WoC because it turns off the Infos leaving hanging Classes. It has been this way for years (about 6 years).

We can't do both in the XML because it checks for the existence of the Class before it checks to see if the Infos element will be kept.

So the check that gives that message needs to be fixed or the check on the Infos elements needs to check that the element will be loaded and all the existing andDependencies on Infos elements will need to be added to the Class XML for those elements.

After reading this i have a question.

Why did you and all the others never use the AndDependencyTypes tag????:confused::crazyeye:

This tag was built for situations like this one but it has some limitations.
If the tag would have been used more someone would have already fixed it to work in all cases.

Just looked and ALL the buildings are now missing??? ones that were built, GONE, ones to be built GONE, all GONE?????

I dont know what the hay is going on here, WB is messed up, buildings are ALL gone, cant click on Great Wonders in the pedia, something is WRONG

EDIT OK did some testing around and it 2 files that are messing everything up, the one in the UnitInfos folder, spawn and the one in the subdue animals one myth and story that are causing these problems the ones that DH put in here recently . . . . . . . . .

My wife's game is looking the same - she's at 6 cities and no expansion from the AI. Yeah, something's off there. I haven't been tweaking the AI much so I'll really have to dig to see wtf is happening with this. I've said before it seems some few games are affected and I'm really not sure why those that are are having this problem. I'll be looking into it of course.

@ TB

On that WfoC CTD, it worked OK for about 4 turns and now CTD mini and savedgame in zip
hmm... probably related to other issues I'm still looking into but I'll put this on the lengthening list of things to look into.

also i get this python error

File "BugEventManager", line 363, in _handleDefaultEvent
File "Revolution", line 624, in onEndPlayerTurn
File "Revolution", line 1070, in updatePlayerRevolution
File "Revolution", line 2309, in checkForRevolution
File "Revolution", line 3647, in pickRevolutionStyle
File "Revolution", line 4107, in chooseRevolutionCiv
You've been getting this about 3 times a round. Seems to be looking for an event that doesn't exist. I MIGHT be able to research this a bit further.

(Where do you get this traceback report?)

EDIT:

Just got this error see pic 1
DH insists its not an error.

EDIT EDIT:

after last SVN

File "CvScreensInterface", line 599, in showWorldBuilderScreen

File "CvWorldBuilderScreen", line 136, in interfaceScreen

File "CvWorldBuilderScreen", line 4785, in refreshPlayerTabCtrl

ERR: Python function showWorldBuilderScreen failed, module CvScreensInterface
More python I'd be reluctant to delve into unless I absolutely have to.

Just looked and ALL the buildings are now missing??? ones that were built, GONE, ones to be built GONE, all GONE?????

I dont know what the hay is going on here, WB is messed up, buildings are ALL gone, cant click on Great Wonders in the pedia, something is WRONG

EDIT OK did some testing around and it 2 files that are messing everything up, the one in the UnitInfos folder, spawn and the one in the subdue animals one myth and story that are causing these problems the ones that DH put in here recently . . . . . . . . .
I suspected as much and I'm suspecting the crashes might be based on these as well and it would be nice to clean those up so we can tell if we're chasing our tails with other debug efforts.

My wife's game is looking the same - she's at 6 cities and no expansion from the AI. Yeah, something's off there. I haven't been tweaking the AI much so I'll really have to dig to see wtf is happening with this. I've said before it seems some few games are affected and I'm really not sure why those that are are having this problem. I'll be looking into it of course.

hmm... probably related to other issues I'm still looking into but I'll put this on the lengthening list of things to look into.

You've been getting this about 3 times a round. Seems to be looking for an event that doesn't exist. I MIGHT be able to research this a bit further.

(Where do you get this traceback report?)

DH insists its not an error.

More python I'd be reluctant to delve into unless I absolutely have to.

I suspected as much and I'm suspecting the crashes might be based on these as well and it would be nice to clean those up so we can tell if we're chasing our tails with other debug efforts.

But all those CTDs and WfoC's are before i put those changes in, so they have nothing to do with those DH committed.

I reverted back to BEFORE DH committed and i will see, but it will be later, i have to watch some TV now to get my mind back in place, besides this game for now, so later.

After reading this i have a question.

Why did you and all the others never use the AndDependencyTypes tag????:confused::crazyeye:

This tag was built for situations like this one but it has some limitations.
If the tag would have been used more someone would have already fixed it to work in all cases.

I do use them, fairly often also. Most of the ones we have are about adjustments like the zC2C_Depends... file in each of the Custom Religions. In that case everything works fine.

It is only when the building or unit needs both its mod and another (or more) for it to be active that there is a now problem. This situation is much rarer. One set of examples are some buildings in the Beast Master mod rely on buildings in the Megafauna mods. They have been there for a while too, come to think of it, and only became a problem when the error suddenly started showing up recently.

But all those CTDs and WfoC's are before i put those changes in, so they have nothing to do with those DH committed.

I reverted back to BEFORE DH committed and i will see, but it will be later, i have to watch some TV now to get my mind back in place, besides this game for now, so later.

I'm not ignoring it. I'm doing some extensive debugging now. Some of this may make some of what DH is trying to do safer too but I'm not 100% sure it won't still cause some funny issues. I've hit a few odd problems and fixed them already so we'll see. I think some of this stems from an older game trying to adapt to newer coding that it wasn't operating under before. So showing some simple compatibility oversights is all.

I think I had it exit without starting once but then I was not sure I had actually started it. the next start worked.:confused:

OK it worked, i just forgot to clear that darn cache is all:blush:

You were very correct that there was a problem.

Interestingly enough it seems the problem may have been due to a fix to another problem that may become an issue later in the game so it may need another approach eventually I'm not sure.

Anyhow, my wife and I worked on this one since her game was showing the trouble too.

I've had a number of crashes shared here, those should be cleared up though I'm still about to look at SO's last one. Your Cherokee game was sorted out though.

If anyone continues having trouble with load hangs or funny stuff with units coming up as special units of all civs, delete the cache and you should be ok.

You were very correct that there was a problem.

Anyhow, my wife and I worked on this one since her game was showing the trouble too.

I've had a number of crashes shared here, those should be cleared up though I'm still about to look at SO's last one. Your Cherokee game was sorted out though.

Your darn lucky you have a understanding "wife." And yes even in later games the barbs for example stay at POP 1 for some odd reason.

Thank goodness you found the errors in that game, that is my most advanced game i have played in 5 years so far, so thx. (well maybe, haven't looked yet:mischief::p)

The one we've been passing back and forth recently I'm still working on. Very interesting game indeed - appears to be quite challenging.

I've found 2 distinctly different problems, one with my loop escape being a little to aggressive, not a big deal, and another with a recalc overlooking a particular tag in a city that took a while to cause a big problem - I think this was the source of the crash and I'm running now to test that theory.

Top Bottom