1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes - After the 29th of March

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterhamtastic

misterhamtastic Chieftain

Haven't been using viewports, but I'll try that now. I'm in what I think of as early/mid game. Just hit Rennaissance. On an eternity game, but only 3000 turns in. I gave everybody 2 great engineers, a great sci and a great merch turn 1, so tech sped up through prehistory. I'm on the Gigantic earth with no presets, but I preset about 10 myself, and I'd guess there are about 300-400 cities worldwide and 20 or so civs thanks to revolutions.

2. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Cant attack, even though i still have 2 movement points avail??\ I moved from right side of enemy to where it is now and still cant attack..

Attached savedgame, screenie where, Logs if needed*i can send them) just ask), SVN 5361, No VP

3. Stormwind

Stormwind King

Adventurer is listed twice in the city build popup and is missing a text key 'TXT_KEY_UNITCOMBAT_EXPLORER'

Temple of Ah Cacao has a pink square as its picture and a red blob as the building graphic.

Opera House is required to build the Orchesteron Theatre and the Bolshoi. Building an Orchesteron Theatre before the Bolshoi disables the Bolshoi. Also the Orchesteron Theatre probably does not count for building of the Sydney Opera House. Sydney Opera House gives a free Opera House in every city -> Orchesteron Theatre enabled in every city -> Orchestreon Theatre replaces all Opera Houses.

4. charlesb96

charlesb96 King

Here is a strange, bug?, occurrence. Catamaran is the Polynesian UU with very early ocean crossing ability, but no cargo space. When you get Transport 1 promotion at Ship Building and give that Catamaran that promotion, it gets a cargo space of 1. The Cat can now carry land units across oceans, BUT, you can also load another SHIP onto that Cat, like a Trireme, and also take THAT across the ocean. I do not think this is how the Transport promotion is supposed to work, but I think it is because there was no cargo space to start with.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Couple questions here.
    1) Are you absolutely sure this unit hasn't attacked this round already?
    2) Can this unit normally attack?
    3) What unit was that unit looking at attacking?

Beyond that the save would need analyzing and its an interesting issue assuming the answers to those questions don't uncover anything unusual. But I can't do that this weekend so it'll be something that will have to wait a bit. Sorry.

hmm... I think you may have just clued me in to why Assassins were coming up twice in the build lists. I'll look into that with this new theory in mind...

I know the coding on that and it IS a rather odd approach that could lead to this. I'm not sure what we normally set naval units to have as their unit types that they can load but on a unit that doesn't normally have any cargo space I would figure that if they don't have this definition, they could be setup to have this sort of effect if they did gain just the cargo space increase without also being told how to narrow the types of units they can load. It should be easily resolved in the xml by establishing that filter even though the unit has no base carrying capacity volume.

6. strategyonly

Do we not get XP points and upgrade on flying units when they bombard units and take points away from those units??

I must have done well over 100 missions now with the (see attached) and NO points towards XP, NO upgrades?? how are they supposed to advance??

EDIT:

Repeatable CTD here's the Mini and a savedgame

SVN 5370

7. FangFur

FangFur Chieftain

Current SVN. The show resources button stops functioning mid game.

8. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

This one is not crashing in the DLL, so it's likely a graphical issue with the assets.

9. Nakkimunakas

Nakkimunakas Chieftain

V29

Slave Market doesn't seem to have any benefits? If I recall correctly Slave Market had +10%:gold: and +10%:hammers: in the previous versions.
    Civ4ScreenShot0092.JPG

Dog Worker can't burn jungle like normal workers.

The city placement planning tool (Alt+X) graphics do not work correctly with the viewports making the tool useless.

10. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

How do I run this game? When I load it, it asks me to select a CIV...what should I select?

Edit - I selected Egypt on the basis it was the top choice and the player name was 'Thunderbrd'. That gave me a position where a huge stack of subdued animals was selected. I just pressed end turn. The turn completed ok. I **am** a few revs behind (don't have Thunderbrd's most recent changes) so I'll try again after I update, but currently I think it's working ok for me, assuming the above were the right choices to test it...?

Edit 2 - still fine with the latest code. I need to export the latest assets next to check with those in cause it's an assets issue...

Edit 3 - still works fine for me with the latest assets and DLL all from SVN. I will need more detailed instructions on how to reproduce the problem to attempt to find out anything further. Also do you have viewports on? (I did in my testing which may mean if you're running out of memory I wouldn't have seen it)

11. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

Yeah, this is just a case of the text/pedia needing to be updated. The market gives you a better return on investment when you 'sell' captured units for :commerce:

12. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I am able to reproduce this, however the actual causative bug must have occurred sometime previously. The reason you cannot attack is that your attacking unit has a limit of 100% damage to opponents (which is what most units have of course), and the defending unit already has 100% damage (hover and you'll see it has 0.0 hitpoints). Since you cannot attack a unit that is already at least as damaged as your limit, you cannot attack it.

The real question is how a unit with 0 hitpoints can still be there to defend in the first place. I cannot see any obvious flaw in the code (which always kills unit when its damage is 100% or more in the routine where the damage is set [so cannot be avoided and still have the damage recorded]). I think there is a bug in the following piece of code, which relates to the new 'battle survivor' code that was merged in from TheLadiesOgre's mod recently:
    Code:
    	if (isSurvivor())
    	{
    		changeDamage(-getDamage());
    		setDamage(GC.getMAX_HIT_POINTS() -(getSurvivorChance() / 1000));
    		CvWString szBuffer = gDLL->getText("TXT_KEY_MISC_YOUR_UNIT_IS_HARDCORE", getNameKey());
    		gDLL->getInterfaceIFace()->addMessage(getOwnerINLINE(), true, GC.getEVENT_MESSAGE_TIME(), szBuffer, "AS2D_POSITIVE_DINK", MESSAGE_TYPE_INFO, getButton(), (ColorTypes)GC.getInfoTypeForString("COLOR_GREEN"), getX_INLINE(), getY_INLINE());
    		m_bDeathDelay = false;
    		return;
    	}
    If the survival chance is < 10 then the damage will be set to GC.getMAX_HIT_POINTS() (i.e. - 100%) and give exactly the problem state we're seeing. HOWEVER, the defender in question has a survival chance of 0, which means it can never get into this code so far as I can see, so it's an unlikely explanation (it would have had to have had a survival promotion which saved it earlier, and it then lost that promotion, but it would also have had to have not healed up at all in the interim).

As such I cannot provide a convincing explanation of how this unit got its 100% damage without dying. I have made the following modifications (which will be on the SVN later today):

1) Modified the above piece of code to ensure it always does at least 1% damage
    2) Modified the sweep-up-dead-units code, that runs each turn, to include ones with 100% damage even if they have not been explicitly marked as dead
    3) Added a check at load-time for such units and deleted them at that point, so any that exist due to bugs in saves are cleaned out on load

I have verified that the offending unit is not present after the above when I load your save.

This crash does not reproduce for me. I note from your earlier screenshot that you are not using viewports however, so maybe it's a memory issue? Try with viewports.

13. strategyonly

HUH, i just tried again and it still crashes?? I should have no problem with my PC as far as VP goes, i am guessing? Heck i have 2 graphics cards, and 8 GB memory

14. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Any memory over 4G is irrelevant. Try it with viewports and see if it makes a difference. If not then I don't know - it works for me (just load and end turn that is, with latest SVN)

15. Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck Warlord

IIRC, the Slave Market also gives one free Settled Slave and allows the player to assign up to six more Settled Slaves.

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

(Whisperr here)
    Playing Egypt is correct, from the save game when you hit the red button, (Ancient Ballistics tech should be on one round, if that is the right save), it has been crashing. I have my own computer so any changes TB makes I don't get until he commits to the SVN.

I last updated my SVN on Wednesday afternoon (PST) and checked the game again and it still crashes. When I go back to my second to last auto save it still crashes at this same turn.

I don't run viewports, I really don't think memory should be a problem. I am running 8gig ram with 1 gig video card. It is still very early in the game with not much of the map exposed, I have always found previously that I only start having memory problems once the map is more exposed.

17. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

There is a bug in v29 vanilla that the odd unit here and there goes down to 0.0 strength for no reason. I thought it had been reported already and fixed in the SVN, but perhaps it has not. When you save and then reload that save, the problem resolves itself.

Thus this zero-strength unit most likely imo should have its strength corrected, and not be removed by any kind of cleanup sweep.

ETA: On an unrelated note:
    V29 vanilla: I have a city on an island which I took from the barbarians. The Graveyard is not available to be built there. It does not have a Tower of Silence (Zoroastrianism yet to be founded).

In v27 I had this problem with a city (on an island) that I founded myself, so it is not only former barb cities (but it has always been cities on islands in my experience).

18. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Yeh, I'm aware of the 0 hit points issue in vanilla v29, and I fixed it a few weeks ago. This is definately not the same issue. With that issue they we reported as 0 but actually had more in the underlying variables. In this case that actually have 0.

19. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

At what point does it crash for you? Before you asked to select the next tech (or get a diplomacy popup) or only after you answer them? For me I get a diplomacy popup, or some times straight to the choose next tech popup, but I cannot reproduce a crash.

20. strategyonly

OK after using the "latest" SVN dll, it works!!:goodjob: without VP YEAH!!:)

Thx so much for at least being patient!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.