1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes v35 plus (SVN) - After the 18th of August 2014

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Aug 17, 2014.

1. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

The mouse-over is simply wrong it counts some things twice and this affects not just production. Thanks for the report should be fixed soon.

2. Noriad2

Noriad2 Emperor

If you actually want things fixed the least you could do is file a proper bug report. To do this,

-update to latest SVN version
    -set autosave to every turn before playing

If you encounter a bug,
    -give a proper decription, preferably including screenshots
    -add a save game so programmers have a test case to work on and to test afterwards if the bug is indeed fixed
    -if necessary, instructions on how to trigger the bug.

I guarantee you that such reports will get a MUCH higher priority than posts of the type "(subject) is screwed up" followed by insults.

3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I would like us to look into the building issue reported but I can't say I fully understand the bug report on it. It's generally Hydro's arena and he has been less active of late. If we can get a more concise, specific buildings discussed bug report on the issue it did sound important to address.

I know there's been talk about how we shouldn't be adding anything until everything's perfect, yada yada BUT I do hope those who are making these comments understand that the vast majority of 'new' things being added are usually part of a larger project designed to address a noted issue. We don't tend to just 'fix' things, we grow things as we fix them.

Example: The Naval Review was sparked by the revelation that many naval vessel upgrade paths in the later stages of the game were terrifically out of whack. That led to a deeper consideration of various new ways to have Navies operate, new strategic layers that could be instilled while repairing the original problem. This also tied in with differentiating healing combat classes so we could have differing types of healers which had long been a design goal. It was entirely valid to start working on this 'new' feature because we were desperately needing to repair the way the AI was handling healers anyhow. Along the way, considering some of the new naval concepts also included some naval property control units, we might as well also take a moment to design in parallel to the new healing AI a new Property Control AI mechanic to give us an opportunity to vastly improve on how the AI is handling that as well. In preparation for that, lets also take note of the fact that Education isn't working quite as intended and is currently causing nothing but a glut of education and gold - so let's correct that and work in promotions for the property control units that handle Education - and while we're at it we've been wanting a few new ways to put a unit to sleep that give property control benefits - so lets take a moment to work out how to go about that with a few token projects that have long been intended to flesh out some other areas along those lines then use that experience to design a method by which free promotions can be added for each round the unit is put to sleep with a new mission - ok now that that's done let's circle back around to the naval review again and take another look at what's left on that list (while improving the new developments added in the meantime...) and we find that there's a bug in the way some plots are handling combat interactions at sea which will need to be sorted out so that it can be improved for the later naval units that will soon be able to hover and fight over land and will thus need vast adjustments in movement and combat rules there... Ok, now that THAT's fixed let's pause again and take a moment to finish those healing and property manipulator AIs...

This is how the process has gone for ME this cycle and as you can see, WHILE adding the new, it's almost always done with an eye for, and concurrent to, correcting the problems that already exist.

4. dan1ell1ma

dan1ell1ma Warlord

Dude, i admire you and your team. Thanks.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

AND
    • BONUS_THERMAL_VENT is 'the proper energy source'. It's revealed so one can see where they are at TECH_SEISMOLOGY, which is at x81.

• IMPROVEMENT_GEOTHERMAL_BOREHOLE is the 'geothermal factory' referred to here. It can be placed wherever a Thermal Vent exists and is made valid to be placed on that tile by the existence of a visible Thermal Vent. It opens up at TECH_VOLCANOLOGY which is at x86. It's not all that bad on its own really.

• However, the BONUS_THERMAL_VENT does not open up for trade access until TECH_ECOLOGICAL_ENGINEERING, which is at x93. So there's a significant amount of time there where you can SEE the Thermal Vent, then eventually be able to PLACE the improvement that's made valid by the existence of the Thermal Vent, then later be able to gain a functional resource that can then be accessed and traded. So yes, it appears that although this is somewhat abnormal to the usual process, it's by design that you can build the improvement for a while before you can get a resource out of it.

• Factory 1: prereq: TECH_ASSEMBLY_LINE (x65)
    • Factory 1 Build: prereq: TECH_ASSEMBLY_LINE (x65)
    • Factory 1 Build: obsolete: TECH_MINIATURIZATION (x78)
    • Factory 1 Upgrades to Factory 3
    • Factory 1 when pillaged becomes a workshop

• Factory 2: prereq: TECH_REFRIGERATION (x69)
    • Factory 2 Build: prereq: TECH_REFRIGERATION (x69)
    • Factory 2 Build: obsolete: TECH_MINIATURIZATION (x78)
    • Factory 2 upgrades to Factory 3
    • Factory 2 when pillaged becomes a workshop

• Factory 3: prereq: TECH_MINIATURIZATION (x78)
    • Factory 3 Build: prereq: TECH_MINIATURIZATION (x78)
    • Factory 3 Build: obsolete: NONE
    • Factory 3 no upgrade
    • Factory 3 when pillaged becomes a Factory 2
    Not seeing the problem here... maybe it's been fixed on the SVN but I don't remember it being previously noted. Will need a test game from that range of techs to see what may or may not be happening.

6. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

There are a number of bonuses that work the same way as BONUS_THERMAL_VENT in that you can see them, then later improve them and then much later get trade access to them. See Melons.

7. Talin2009

Talin2009 King

SVN 8196

AI still don't build cities (kept 2 different games autorunning for 100-150 turns). Not a single city have been built.

8. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

Which gamespeed and other settings are you playing????

9. Talin2009

Talin2009 King

1. game 1
    eternity, deity, gigantic map, perfectworld2f, no barbarians, no barb civs, aggressive ai, ruthless ai, tech diffusion on, no city limits from civics, developing leaders, start without positive traits, scale city limits, focused traits, nightmare mode on.
    Also i have megapack civ modmod installed

2. game 2
    eternity, deity, gigantic map, perfectworld2f, no barbarians, no barb civs, aggressive ai, ruthless ai, tech diffusion on, no city limits from civics, developing leaders, scale city limits, focused traits, nightmare mode on.
    (same as 1. except without:start without positive traits, )
    Also i have megapack civ modmod installed

10. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

It could be caused by some of those options, i look into this issue.

11. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

@Talin,
    Curious as to why you Don't use City Limits by Civics But Do use Scale City Limits? Those were designed to go hand in hand originally.

Turning Scale City Limits off may help your problem on Deity where the 2nd tribe is unused.

JosEPh

12. Talin2009

Talin2009 King

I don't use city limits because i got an impression that it is easier for AI that way to build bigger empires.

Hmm thanks for the tips, will try start new game without scale city limits and see how it goes.

13. Talin2009

Talin2009 King

Started new game, deity, eternity, gigantic. Turned off Scale city limits, turned on No city limits from civics.

2nd band of homo sapiens keep sitting in AI capitals.

14. Sparth

Sparth C2C Team Member

Try this wihout megapack or use civilizations only from C2C.

15. Talin2009

Talin2009 King

Started new game without megapack - pure clean 8196 SVN install - same result, Bands of homo sapiens sit in capitals again (after 20 turns that is) ...

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

That particular problem is entirely due to the AI not being given enough free city defenders to start the game with on that setting to account for the recently increased protection demands a settler will have when seeking to go out and found another city. I've increased the amount of free units they'll get on Deity settings and that should fix it right there.

I may well have a commit with this later today.

17. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

- If the AI has a big stack of many different units, you can't see the top of the list sometimes. It would be nice if either hovering over the units or the flag next to them would show a compact list with names and numbers, but ignoring stuff like promotions. It could also ignore those weaker units, that are there only 1 or 2 times (like subdued dogs and stuff) to make sure you can see the 100+ Swordman in the Stack ;)

- The trading AI seems weird: They happily pay 649 :gold: for a Dog worker, which is approximately 4 times to :gold: I'd make if I'd build Wealth in a city. On the other hand, they only wanted 48 :gold: for their Subdued Mammoth, which I haven't had before. They wanted way more for Mammoth resource :mischief:

- I sent spies to my neighbor to steal a technology (Alphabet), but out of his 4 techs I haven't had, I could only select Soap Making for thieving. Any idea why? I had definetly enough espionage; Soap Making cost 14.000 and I had around 150.000.

- Units don't heal anymore when you fortify them. It is quite frustrating if you fortify them after a battle just to heal of, but witness some time later that they are killed by a weak Ambusher, just because they are still not healed :sad:

18. Hale_9204

Hale_9204 Warlord

I just had a graphical bug, in the form of a (big) red blob as you can see in the picture.
    I think the problem is with the scorpion unit, since it's the first time I've seen this unit in this game. the SVN version is 8152 (a few days old) so maybe this has already been fixed (I've seen in the log there have been some tweaking to graphics)

Attached Files:

• red.jpg
      red.jpg
      File size:
      175.3 KB
      Views:
  19. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

There is no scorpion unit yet, nor spider. I have just added the art not the unit.

20. Hale_9204

Hale_9204 Warlord

With scorpion I mean the siege unit, not the animal one; if I remember, the scorpion was one of the "new" siege units (along with oxybeles, onager...) introduced sometime ago