Single Player bugs and crashes v38 plus (SVN) - After the 20th of February 2018

I "think" the base 22% Culture given to all regular AI and Player is not applied to the NPC AI, ie Barb and Neanderthal.

EDIT: All barb cities in this particular game have stayed at pop 1 since they were formed. But they sure can put out the Mil Units. That city in the screenshot had 40 units in it. It will send out groups of 5 at a time. Which I destroy by the units I have stationed in palisades around the area.

If these were to ever send out their Units in a Stack bigger than 5 0r 6 units and attack cities they would be deadly. Or even pillage the country side. But if they were allowed to do that they would probably kill off the AI and even the player early game.

I have not tested Aggressive or Raging Barbs to see how they act.

Last edited:
I "think" the base 22% Culture given to all regular AI and Player is not applied to the NPC AI, ie Barb and Neanderthal.

EDIT: All barb cities in this particular game have stayed at pop 1 since they were formed. But they sure can put out the Mil Units. That city in the screenshot had 40 units in it. It will send out groups of 5 at a time. Which I destroy by the units I have stationed in palisades around the area.

If these were to ever send out their Units in a Stack bigger than 5 0r 6 units and attack cities they would be deadly. Or even pillage the country side. But if they were allowed to do that they would probably kill off the AI and even the player early game.

I have not tested Aggressive or Raging Barbs to see how they act.
In my test they did generate culture, but it seems its not added to city.

Check how many culture they have, as it looks like it doesn't accumulate for barbarians.
So if it says None or Poor when you hover over their cities, then it means they can't accumulate culture (0/culture level needed to get next rank).

This problem is bit worse with one tile start as they don't have land to work on it (less food produced).

Its DLL problem and @Thunderbrd needs to check it.

Tilted Axis mapscript (doesn't use default sizes), Blitz/Noble/Standard.
Default traits (without negative traits Barbarian trait is disabled), aggressive and raging barbarians on. This test is without single tile start.
Nice excess health, but still they can't generate enough food right on beginning.
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2019-02-19 14-44-26-57.jpg
Civ4BeyondSword 2019-02-19 14-44-38-43.jpg
Civ4BeyondSword 2019-02-19 14-47-27-92.jpg
Civ4BeyondSword 2019-02-19 14-47-54-17.jpg

Barbarians doesn't have palace and can't make new cities.
This means commerce boost on Barbarian culture would be useful too.

You can view whole map if you have chipotle cheat enabled in civ4 ini (ctrl+z will reveal map then).

One barbarian city had lush terrain nearby so it was lucky to grow (50th turn).
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2019-02-19 14-58-01-14.jpg
Civ4BeyondSword 2019-02-19 14-58-25-00.jpg
Civ4BeyondSword 2019-02-19 14-59-35-10.jpg

Last edited:
Barbarians have this in all cities:
<Type>BUILDING_CULTURE_BARBARIAN</Type>
<CommerceChanges>
<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
<iCommerce>2</iCommerce>​
</CommerceChanges>
<CommerceModifiers>
<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
<iCommerce>100</iCommerce>​
</CommerceModifiers>

Also if you select No Negative Traits, then barbarians doesn't have Barbarian trait too.
Their trait needs to not be noted as negative then. That's one thing that needs to be done regardless. You make a good point that starting without any traits will cause a problem for them either way though by using a trait to give some culture.
Barbarian culture building already provides +2 culture/turn.

I guess something in code prevents barbarians and possibly neanderthals from accumulating culture in city.
Barbarians have this in all cities:
<Type>BUILDING_CULTURE_BARBARIAN</Type>
<CommerceChanges>
<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
<iCommerce>2</iCommerce>​
</CommerceChanges>
<CommerceModifiers>
<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
<iCommerce>100</iCommerce>​
</CommerceModifiers>
How is it going into all cities?

How is it going into all cities?
Barbarian culture building is in all barbarian cities, just like continental culture building is in all cities of civilization.

I posted screenshots so you could see, that culture doesn't accumulate in barbarian cities despite being produced.

Also barbarian trait gives +1% culture while barbarian culture gives +100% culture.

Last edited:
OK, yeah now that I see your images, it's pretty clear that somewhere in the code the barb cities are being denied the capability of accumulating culture so I'll have to look into that as soon as I can.

The +1% culture from the trait should be under the CommerceChanges tag, not the CommerceModifiers tag - that would explain the +1% (though if it IS in CommerceChanges then there's a very severe problem with the trait tag there.)

OK, yeah now that I see your images, it's pretty clear that somewhere in the code the barb cities are being denied the capability of accumulating culture so I'll have to look into that as soon as I can.

The +1% culture from the trait should be under the CommerceChanges tag, not the CommerceModifiers tag - that would explain the +1% (though if it IS in CommerceChanges then there's a very severe problem with the trait tag there.)
Barbarians could use 1 food less per pop as they seem to not build food related buildings and they don't build improvements too.

Barbarian trait indeed uses commerce modifiers and not changes.
Code:
<CommerceModifiers>
               <iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
               <iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
               <iCommerce>1</iCommerce>
               <iCommerce>10</iCommerce>
           </CommerceModifiers>
Also barbarian needs hunter gatherer trait to build seed camp.
Barbarian culture building overpowers barbarian trait as culture source anyway.
By the way barbarian trait icon is red.

Are barbarians banned from buildings unless explicitly allowed?
If yes then its more than likely dependency chains are broken for barbarians.
Apparently there are tags like this:
Code:
<EnabledCivilizationTypes>
               <EnabledCivilizationType>
                   <CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_NPC_NEANDERTHAL</CivilizationType>
               </EnabledCivilizationType>
           </EnabledCivilizationTypes>
155 buildings have this tag.
Only Neanderthal variant of it was used.

Last edited:
Barbarians could use 1 food less per pop as they seem to not build food related buildings and they don't build improvements too.
Or just give them an extra food. They do eventually get some workers out and build some improvements. Their populations should not be pushed that high anyhow or we're just making them have a hell of a lot of units (as they'll produce more) and bog the game down more, since something is wrong in whatever triggers them to send those units to attack.
Also barbarian needs hunter gatherer trait to build seed camp.
Why?
By the way barbarian trait icon is red.
Ok, I'll address that since I'm soon to start working on trait buttons anyhow.
Are barbarians banned from buildings unless explicitly allowed?
Yes, as defined in PlayerInfos.
I'm not sure it was necessary to add barbs to those but it wouldn't hurt.

Or just give them an extra food. They do eventually get some workers out and build some improvements. Their populations should not be pushed that high anyhow or we're just making them have a hell of a lot of units (as they'll produce more) and bog the game down more, since something is wrong in whatever triggers them to send those units to attack.
I guess I could give +3 food to barbarians culture building (trait can be disabled with some traits option).

Looks like this was referencing civic not trait with similar name, so it was false alarm.

Yes, as defined in PlayerInfos.
Where is this file?

I'm not sure it was necessary to add barbs to those but it wouldn't hurt.
I can test it.

I'll have to check when I get home.
I gave them +3 food for now (barbarian culture) so they can grow at least for a while.
Also I'm not sure how barbarians are defined so I could add them next at buildings allowed for Neanderthals.

Just an update on that Barb city ( and I just updated the mod from the SVN so that will kick in next turn).

There are now 68 Military Units in the city, plus 2 subdued animals and 6 more units outside the city. If these "hounds" get Unleashed, Katy Bar the Door! Wowza!:devil: I need to go into massive Military build up mode asap. And I have another Barb city just like this one up to the NW of my borders. That barb city sits on a hill too. :p

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0118.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0118.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 94
I gave them +3 food for now (barbarian culture) so they can grow at least for a while.
Also I'm not sure how barbarians are defined so I could add them next at buildings allowed for Neanderthals.
It's CivilizationInfos.xml (something like that) what you're looking for. They have a <TYPE> there.

Just an update on that Barb city ( and I just updated the mod from the SVN so that will kick in next turn).

There are now 68 Military Units in the city, plus 2 subdued animals and 6 more units outside the city. If these "hounds" get Unleashed, Katy Bar the Door! Wowza!:devil: I need to go into massive Military build up mode asap. And I have another Barb city just like this one up to the NW of my borders. That barb city sits on a hill too. :p
This is what I mean... they don't deploy these quite like they should and they can build up too many and be a BIG drag on turn times and possibly start causing MAFs. It's an AI issue but it easily gets worsened by making barb cities overly productive.

Understand. Just reporting what I'm seeing, no more no less. I guess I could turn Barbs completely off next game?

EDIT: What file contains the AI Diplomacy setting for trades? I know it's set at 1.4, meaning they demand 40% more in trades. But I forgot where this values resides.

Apparently there are tags like this:
Code:
                   <CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_NPC_NEANDERTHAL</CivilizationType>
               </EnabledCivilizationType>
           </EnabledCivilizationTypes>
155 buildings have this tag.
There are only two civs that have the bStronglyRestricted tag set to 1. Insectoids and the Neanderthal NPC's.

bStronglyRestricted makes it impossible for a civ to build any buildings or units (possibly techs too) unless they are explicitly enabled for them with the:
<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_X</CivilizationType>​
</EnabledCivilizationType>​
</EnabledCivilizationTypes>​

There is absolutely no point in adding in barbarians to any lists like that.

Understand. Just reporting what I'm seeing, no more no less. I guess I could turn Barbs completely off next game?

EDIT: What file contains the AI Diplomacy setting for trades? I know it's set at 1.4, meaning they demand 40% more in trades. But I forgot where this values resides.
I was just thankful for you posting that image so I could express that's what I had just mentioned earlier, that's all. I'm not saying you did anything wrong.

As for the trade globals, I'm not sure without scouring through everything to find them myself.

There are only two civs that have the bStronglyRestricted tag set to 1. Insectoids and the Neanderthal NPC's.

bStronglyRestricted makes it impossible for a civ to build any buildings or units (possibly techs too) unless they are explicitly enabled for them with the:
<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_X</CivilizationType>​
</EnabledCivilizationType>​
</EnabledCivilizationTypes>​

There is absolutely no point in adding in barbarians to any lists like that.
Thank you. Correct. If the Barb civ isn't set to bStronglyRestricted then it shouldn't need any buildings to specify they are allowed to be built by them. THANK YOU for this clarification! I couldn't recall if they were setup to need that but I sorta thought they weren't. That said, they do have limitations in the AI coding on what they would and wouldn't choose to build.

There are two animals in the city, and a stack of three in an adjacent tile. The first hunter kills those in the city. At that point, the other stack disappear. They reappear precisely when he finishes his movement.

The second hunter attacks the stack, but they disappear during his attack move. When do they reappear? You guessed it: The moment he is out of moves.
Though you fear a case of deja vu
I needs must repeat this report of mine
Although humble this bug I must redefine
As a gremlin exceedingly fraught
For it's getting impossible to
When a fish is in range of your fish'n' ships
Figure out if you're going to have fish 'n' chips
As the fish may not deign to be caught...

Though you fear a case of deja vu
I needs must repeat this report of mine
Although humble this bug I must redefine
As a gremlin exceedingly fraught
For it's getting impossible to
When a fish is in range of your fish'n' ships
Figure out if you're going to have fish 'n' chips
As the fish may not deign to be caught...
I'll be back to coding in a week or two.

Top Bottom