Single Player bugs and crashes v38 plus (SVN) - After the 20th of February 2018

Right you are, I misread the logic on that conditional.
You did a great job and I only adjusted it due to further considerations that occurred to me was all. I overlook all kinds of stuff usually and this wasn't even that necessary a change to have made. I think it's to your credit you took a step into working on it. You insinuated that you've worked on some other code issues? I'm curious what those might be.

So I checked the code and I was wrong, sorta. There is a difference between the culture distance and culture level on a plot as I did explain. But an in-depth readthrough of the code shows that this whole phenomenon is completely intended... but only under fixed borders. If you wish for RCS to behave in a more 'original' manner, select the No Fixed Borders option.

What happens is if you have fixed borders, the city will claim any tile that the old city had cultural influence over and range to claim as long as no other city also has range to claim that tile. Apparently later on if you don't have enough cultural level, you won't own the tile until you do, but this premature claiming feature makes the growth behave the way you are dissatisfied with, much because of what I did explain before about some of the shortcuts in the code that would be very difficult to try to program around (and this is NOT worth that sort of effort and ensuing delays.)

So, would you be able to live with turning off fixed borders? Truth be told I don't even see it doing much anymore since it lost its teeth a number of years ago during some turmoils over the subject.
So I tried it with turning off fixed borders, with and without IDW enabled. In both case the result is the same as before, RCS doesn't work properly in conquered cities on the first couple culture levels.

So I tried it with turning off fixed borders, with and without IDW enabled. In both case the result is the same as before, RCS doesn't work properly in conquered cities on the first couple culture levels.
hmm must be more going on than the portion I read in the code then. More to review yet.

In ages past If you captured a city to get the city influence to start growing you needed to build 1st thing a theatre or similar building that gave a good culture boost. Or use a GA to culture bomb it. With out doing so it would take many turns before the Culture would be sufficient for tiles around the city to show up as yours. The tiles would not become yours if you did not start adding Culture asap. This was especially true during Rise of Mankind, RoMAND, and the early ages of C2C playing days.

I do not recall if it was changed when RCS was incorporated into C2C or if the change came after RCS was in C2C. But when the modding team back then added more Culture Levels (and that, the added Culture Levels was from an Afforess' Modmod for RoMAND) to the Mod, it was around versions 10 - 17 timeframe, RCS had significantly different playing effects. I stopped playing it (same for Fixed Borders and for City Limits thru Civics) for awhile after these changes. Cultural Influence was a big deal back then and AI Cities could become dominant thru Culture. And would encompass a Huge area around their biggest cities. The AI was very good back then at winning a Cultural victory. koshling and/or DH made some significant changes to these options back then, maybe even ls612.

Whether any of this is relevant to today's perceived problem is not clear to me but it used to be different. Way different than it is now. (C2C History lesson number 35) ;)

In the attached file, I've updated all the building destruction events (e.g. hurricane, fire) so that they can no longer target buildings that are obsolete/replaced, or buildings that are autobuilt, as was discussed in this thread.
If building is obsolete/replaced, it is still there somewhere in a city. It stands derelict and produces tales of horror for kids to spook other kids.
And since it's derelict, there is a actually a higher chance for it to catch fire.
The reason it is not displayed in buildings list of a city is simple: this list shows assets. Once building becomes obsolete it becomes liability, not an asset.

So I'm sorry, but you change is counter-logical.

If building is obsolete/replaced, it is still there somewhere in a city. It stands derelict and produces tales of horror for kids to spook other kids.
And since it's derelict, there is a actually a higher chance for it to catch fire.
The reason it is not displayed in buildings list of a city is simple: this list shows assets. Once building becomes obsolete it becomes liability, not an asset.

So I'm sorry, but you change is counter-logical.
That's one way to see it but there's no actual penalties to these derelict buildings and many are naturally and silently repurposed so it makes sense that events should be only targeting anything that can actually matter to the player when they take place.

That's one way to see it but there's no actual penalties to these derelict buildings and many are naturally and silently repurposed so it makes sense that events should be only targeting anything that can actually matter to the player when they take place.
These buildings could even be still maintained (as buildings) and used as museums. There are more than enough examples of old mines, mills or even farms that are used to show people how their ancestors lived. So you could have them still cost money but generate culture and education.

These buildings could even be still maintained (as buildings) and used as museums. There are more than enough examples of old mines, mills or even farms that are used to show people how their ancestors lived. So you could have them still cost money but generate culture and education.
You could establish that with the use of some tags specifically for that purpose that are already in use on some wonders (safeobsolete). Of course, I find there are a lot higher priorities in mod design at the moment ;)

Reactions: tmv
Last SVN. I got this python errors on my ongoing campaign:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvRandomEventInterface", line 8433, in doMajorFire

NameError: global name 'isObsoleteBuilding' is not defined
ERR: Python function doMajorFire failed, module CvRandomEventInterface

File "CvRandomEventInterface", line 510, in canApplyLooters3

NameError: global name 'player' is not defined
ERR: Python function canApplyLooters3 failed, module CvRandomEventInterface

Last SVN. I got this python errors on my ongoing campaign:

File "CvRandomEventInterface", line 8433, in doMajorFire

NameError: global name 'isObsoleteBuilding' is not defined
ERR: Python function doMajorFire failed, module CvRandomEventInterface

File "CvRandomEventInterface", line 510, in canApplyLooters3

NameError: global name 'player' is not defined
ERR: Python function canApplyLooters3 failed, module CvRandomEventInterface
@Toffer90 could fix this one or @Thunderbrd

Actually, this is probably from @Morlark 's most recent adjustment to that file. I wonder if he could possibly take a look at attempting to fix it.

as requested from the discussion thread: Big Cars uncut/sizematters both checked arent working??

Attachments

• game options.JPG
    game options.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 62
  • merge.JPG
    merge.JPG
    569.7 KB · Views: 44
  • wldirq.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 47
You did a great job and I only adjusted it due to further considerations that occurred to me was all. I overlook all kinds of stuff usually and this wasn't even that necessary a change to have made. I think it's to your credit you took a step into working on it. You insinuated that you've worked on some other code issues? I'm curious what those might be.

I'd been looking at some problem I had with event eligibility, and units being mistargetted for events, but during my analysis I wasn't able to satisfactorily determine the root cause of the problem, so I have no solution to present for now. I also had some thoughts regarding gamespeed scaling, but they can be discussed at another time.

Actually, this is probably from @Morlark 's most recent adjustment to that file. I wonder if he could possibly take a look at attempting to fix it.

Whoops, yeah, looks like when I was making the edits to each of the events, I didn't copy/paste that line correctly in that event. Fixed file is attached.

Attachments

• CvRandomEventInterface.zip
    40.8 KB · Views: 48
I'd been looking at some problem I had with event eligibility, and units being mistargetted for events, but during my analysis I wasn't able to satisfactorily determine the root cause of the problem, so I have no solution to present for now. I also had some thoughts regarding gamespeed scaling, but they can be discussed at another time.

Whoops, yeah, looks like when I was making the edits to each of the events, I didn't copy/paste that line correctly in that event. Fixed file is attached.
I'll let Toffer handle this from here but thanks for the debugging!

SVN Revision 10333

After Tool Making, I cannot build brutes anymore. I try to find the switch for obsolete units but couldn't find it. What is the problem?

SVN Revision 10333

After Tool Making, I cannot build brutes anymore. I try to find the switch for obsolete units but couldn't find it. What is the problem?
In BUG there is option to hide obsolete things.

I built the Machu Picchu wonder. It placed its unique improvement on the city's obsidian peak. The loss of vicinity obsidian to the city in turn led to the extinction of the local Aztec culture.

It is the only peak in the vanilla vicinity, but the city is Influential and that option is on, so there are two more resource-free candidates in the 'third ring'. Alternatively, the improvement could continue to provide any resource it is built on.

Overall, you could call it a 'fun' freak occurrence, but it seems a large downside from a wonder.

Alternatively, the improvement could continue to provide any resource it is built on.
This strikes me as the best way to respond. Can someone go into the xml on this and make the macchu picchu's improvement give access to any bonus it may exist on? I didn't even know we had a wonder that did this but it's otherwise sounding like a cool effect.

Top Bottom