Single Player bugs and crashes v39 plus (SVN) - After the 20th of July 2019

It is weird, I would think it would always load the stats from the class, and only keep instance specific stuff like XP and promotions in the unit itself.
If we do work out what properties of a unit don't get modified we could recalculate them without too much problem I think, but I have no idea what those properties are.
Yeah, it's not terribly hard to do but just a bit time consuming as far as projects go. It's been one of those 'might get to it someday' sort of things on my end.

Okay, I reported this bug before I know. At first at it was just an annoyance but now it is messing the game up. :wallbash: I can not shift queue buildings reliably anymore thanks to this bug. Almost every time I try to shift queue a building now, I get this popup. Oh and to top off the annoyance factor I have to click the OK button several times to get the message to go away. Save and screenshot uploaded. SVN 11047.
Spoiler Error Message :
upload_2019-10-8_14-13-14.png

Attachments

• Sean Jr BC-5824.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.4 MB · Views: 128
The only way spam is a problem here is if this unit is still overpowered and would thus lead people to choose it over other units, and thus "spam" it. Is that your argument? Because otherwise there should be no reason to spam this unit any more than axemen, archers, or swordsmen, which are all not limited.

Or are you arguing it should have a limit put on it again even with the reduced capabilities? I am fine with that, however you were the one who asked if it would have the limit removed, and you didn't correct when TB took that to mean you were suggesting the limit *should* be removed.
I'm not arguing anything. But it will increase the number of units in the game.

This unit was one of many that was built with the National Limit long ago. But then players started to demand a way to get them in unlimited quantities. So.. the Option Unlimited National Units was created. Then as those players that want the Unlimited Option played awhile some came back and began to *itch about some of the units ( That were designed to be limited in the 1st place) where OP.

So for the past 2 years plus T-brd and I have argued over this unit.

It all started when the Ram siege unit line was given strengths better than equivalent melee, throw, and archer units. The AI Spammed the *ell out of the Ram units. They would set stacks of them all around their Main city tile. 8 adjacent tiles with 10-15+ Ram units and 1 or 2 melee or archer units on every single tile. It was insane. I made adjustments to the ram line and to some of the main units in terms of strength. T-brd worked on getting the AI to Not load stacks of them on every tile. It came with mixed results.

The Arsonist was originally a 10 str unit that was limited to 10 units by the National Limit provision. Siege Towers in comparison was also str 10 but unlimited. And came later than Arsonists. Siege rams were also str 10, with Battering rams at str 8 and early rams at str 6. Hand rams were str 4. None of these in the ram line at that time had any limits on them.

So now a modder (you billw) without all this prior knowledge says he thinks they are OP on Discord. And this was what T-brd was waiting for. Especially after the last discussion ended up in a huha you said / I said degenerative argument. At the end of which I bowed out.

So there you have it. I'm not arguing for or against what has been done. But I Will Comment on what the possible outcomes can and Most likely will occur. Sorry you all don't like my opinions but hey that's life now isn't it. We all have opinions and we All like to voice them. :) And if it ends up bad, I will probably comment on that too.:p

Units do not recalculate. There's little that can be done about that except to undergo a very long project to make them do so. Or work it out through worldbuilder.
I was late to the Arsonist party. So like everything else in the game you deal with it. It was a comment on how it affected my game. Not a plea for a bug fix or any other such thing. The AI got luck that the Fix was not put in before they had a chance to build the old str units. No worse that some of the Hero Spam we already have in the game as well, imhpo that is. Nor the myriad and infinite number of promotions and promotion combos that keep growing every year either. Just sometimes too much is exactly that. Too much. :)

The national limit system when the limit isn't tiny (<5 maybe?), or doesn't scale by map size is fundamentally broken anyway. Who cares about a limit of 40 rams or 20 arsonists if your army is only 100 units anyway? Its a meaningless limit, and isn't anything but the crudest tool for balancing. Perhaps it should be % of total forces instead of a fixed number? You could also perhaps dynamically scale the unit strength down if it goes above the max %.

Wouldn't that be a bit arbitrary?
No, I just specified the constraints under which it would happen, hence it isn't arbitrary. However it is just the off-the-top-of-my-head solution to some exploits people might use.

I will admit that unit limits does not work well on anything that can be merged or split and therein lies a big problem with that particular unit using a limit to define a balance point. Plus, the arbitrary factor of those limits not scaling to mapsize etc also plays a role, and even if limited, a unit can still be imbalancing when there is no real need to include such an imbalancing force. The heroes are... still a matter of discussion in regards to balance and are actually worse on NON-SM games than they are on games with it. In SM, the factor of being an Individual and unable to merge with others of their kind as they are unique is a huge potentially exploitable weakness. Outside SM, they can be completely indominable and can be used to some truly lethal effect that is almost impossible to do anything about if done right, making their only limitation the fact that they cannot move an infinite number of times so as to attack and kill everything in one round. Maybe some sanity adjustments will be necessary with them at some point. They are a second phase to investigate regarding balance.

Maybe some sanity adjustments will be necessary with them at some point. They are a second phase to investigate regarding balance.
Yeah I look forward to that. They seem extremely overpowered to me, especially when you can easily amass a virtual stack of them. I would have thought those units should just be flavor units with normal strengths (maybe a free special promo), rather than super hero units.

Yeah I look forward to that. They seem extremely overpowered to me, especially when you can easily amass a virtual stack of them. I would have thought those units should just be flavor units with normal strengths (maybe a free special promo), rather than super hero units.
I'm happy they are fairly powerful but they may be a bit much and without the Ideas Project constraining culture use, they are a bit too easily amassed.

Okay, I reported this bug before I know. At first at it was just an annoyance but now it is messing the game up. :wallbash: I can not shift queue buildings reliably anymore thanks to this bug. Almost every time I try to shift queue a building now, I get this popup. Oh and to top off the annoyance factor I have to click the OK button several times to get the message to go away. Save and screenshot uploaded. SVN 11047.

Pushing a fix now.

@billw2015 I used assert DLL to check out something.

Loading save causes those asserts:
Code:
Assert Failed

File:  .\.\CvAllocator.cpp
Line:  80
Expression:  p != NULL
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deleting a null pointer!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assert Failed

File:  .\.\CvPlot.cpp
Line:  12283
Expression:  pAdjacentPlot != NULL
Adjacent plot is NULL!
Loaded this autosave as test.

Attachments

• AutoSave_January 14, AD-1027.CivBeyondSwordSave
    5.6 MB · Views: 112
Just downloaded the new SVN, and I'm getting this error:

Any ideas, please? I've never seen this before.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Crash.png
    Crash.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 143
Just downloaded the new SVN, and I'm getting this error:

Any ideas, please? I've never seen this before.

Thanks!
Where is you C2C mod folder, and is it named exactly "Caveman2Cosmos" ?
The mod folder cannot be in "...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS"

It must be in the Mods folder that is found in the same folder as where the Civ4BeyondSword.exe file is.

Where is you C2C mod folder, and is it named exactly "Caveman2Cosmos" ?
The mod folder cannot be in "...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS"

It must be in the Mods folder that is found in the same folder as where the Civ4BeyondSword.exe file is.
It was in the wrong place. Works fine now!

CTD at the end of turn from time to time. Untill the last svn commits it was happening much more often (~ every 3rd turn) till the ~2700 turn. But it's still a problem in 11049.

Had the same ctd issue in 38.5 game in much later eras (end of Industrial - beggining of Atomic) and slower gamespeed. I've got the point that time and my current game is a bit faster, map is smaller, difficulty is harder. But now ctds began in the classical era...

I'm playing the russian version of the game with cyrrilic-patched game fonts (thanks to i18n-team from russian civ-forum). Is it possible to upload them or merge with current c2c fonts?

Last savegame, logs, usersettings folder, minidumps for last few ctds, fonts folder - all included. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• c2c_err_log.zip
    11.7 MB · Views: 127
CTD at the end of turn from time to time. Untill the last svn commits it was happening much more often (~ every 3rd turn) till the ~2700 turn. But it's still a problem in 11049.

Had the same ctd issue in 38.5 game in much later eras (end of Industrial - beggining of Atomic) and slower gamespeed. I've got the point that time and my current game is a bit faster, map is smaller, difficulty is harder. But now ctds began in the classical era...

I'm playing the russian version of the game with cyrrilic-patched game fonts (thanks to i18n-team from russian civ-forum). Is it possible to upload them or merge with current c2c fonts?

Last savegame, logs, usersettings folder, minidumps for last few ctds, fonts folder - all included. Thanks in advance.
You have to delete those font files, as those are outdated.

Another futurist problem :
- Holographic shcool give far weaker bonuses thant buildings it replaces (espacially in science)
- Universal Restaurant is a HUGE loss in gold (and a very small gain in food) because it replace many building with a lot of "+1% gold with...". It's even a loss of +1 happy and 1 Ice Cream because of Ice Cream parlor replacment. And a future without Ice cream is not a bright one...
EDIT
- Hypermarket is a huge loss too for the same resaon
- Food Manufacuring District is a huge loss for Food ans Gold. Same thing, replace too many buildings and they give more bonuses...

I Forgot a earlier one : Tatooer , give +2 Culture and +3% with Dye. And +2 Happy and it's build faster for Strategic leaders.
Its replacment (Tatoo parlor) only give +1 Culture and +1% with some later tech. Only +1 happy and Strategic don't build it faster
So when Tattoo parlor is available, it's just totally useless and building it only give malus...

You have to delete those font files, as those are outdated.

Without them I'm getting an encoding issue: current mod fonts are latin-only, cyrillic letters outputs as some kind of unreadable pictogramms.

Top Bottom