1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Team Game - Isolated Pacal (Deity)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Fippy, Jan 19, 2018.

1. dutchfire

dutchfire Moderator Moderator

What would be the advantage of finishing AH at 100%? Now we built up a bit more cash, that we can use when we going on a 100% run for writing at the end. This option gives us a bit more flexibility (that we won't use). Other factors that don't matter here:
    * We don't (and won't) have libraries or other commerce multipliers
    * We won't meet other AI for a research bonus
    * No events, so we don't need a little stack of cash handy
    * No plans to (emergency) upgrade units

2. Lain

Lain Chieftain

We were doing 36 beakers at 100%. So at 60% we should make 21,6 ... but there is no 21,6 in the game, so it got rounded down to 21. Of course not very important if one or two beakers get lost this way during a game, but keeping the slider to 0% or 100% is a good habit. So all things being equal I would stick to that, especially in the early game when one beaker can count for something.

Before Writing an adjusted slider could make sense. One beaker potentially lost, but more money saved for the library boost.

3. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Fippy, you want to play next? :)

4. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

Sure, any special worker ideas?
    Cottage 1N of Uxmal or shared farm, hmm..think i like farm better, especially if we also want a settler from CI.

Mutal we need no overflow i think, unless you want another worker before library :)
    If not i would milk for commerce as possible.

5. Lain

Lain Chieftain

All sounds good :). I prefer farm and commerce for Mutal is fine aswell. Don't need more workers for now.

6. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

Not a long set, but we have some worker actions to discuss i think.

Made a small mistake with 1 tile not fogbusted under Lakamha, hopefully not getting instantly punished for that ;)
    Axe near coast for barb galleys.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 6:02 AM
  7. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Nice :) do we want to make a detailed worker plan? Mutal probably doesn't need anything with scientists soon. Road for pigs might be a good idea, don't think we need the corn yet (CI is struggling a bit with health, but once we chop a jungle 1 :yuck: goes away ... and with pigs it's enough for size 5, can't grow more anyways before Monarchy.

In the east there could be a tile with seafood, we probably want to check that.

Yes on settler whip next turn for me. Hm, where do we go... here? Also worker plan included

Spoiler :

So is Mutal going to be unhappy at size 5 without warrior or not? Never quite sure how this works. At which size do you get 2x angry face for lack of safety? And hm, CI needs someone too. At size 5.

8. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

Will check your nice plan in the evening, but i can already answer that unhappy starts at size 3 and increases in steps of 3 as well (pop 3, 6, 9, 12..) :)
    So nopes, Mutal would be -2 unhappy at size 6 but okay at 5.

9. dutchfire

Is this a reasonable fogbusting plan? Should cover all land in the north, and a significant part of the sea.

What will we tech after Writing? I would usually consider Sailing since we have several seafood resources and a lot of coastal(/lake) tiles, but here +1 food for 60 hammers does not help us so much. Monarchy seems the best option, hereditary rule (and wine) solves our happiness cap and lets us work all those nice green tiles. Do you prefer Meditation or Polytheism? (Meditation ruins bulb paths?)

Will we keep the warrior in Mutal as a guard, or are we confident we will get another warrior in time before Mutal grows into unhappiness.
    Mutal build Library?

Lakhama whip is okay with me, since Uxmal can work the gems next turns if needed. If we want a library there soon, it might be better to use the whip/overflow on that instead.

There's a grassland at Mutal that could get a cottage, but if we're running scientists there we can't work it.

I would say that whipping the monument in Uxmal is not worth it, what do you think?

10. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Definitely Monarchy next, I think. We have great land, only thing stopping us is happiness. Wine+HR will be good.

Meditation is cheaper and the better choice if CoL is skipped (just have to pay attention with tech trades later).

Mutal builds/whips library so won't need a city guard for a while. Chichen Itza will need one though, so makes sense to finish the warrior in Mutal before starting on a library. 3-pop-whip will generate enough overflow to finish another warrior as needed.

Whipping in Uxmal is not worth it. A library can/should be whipped some time after Monarchy though. Then regrow on farms. But that's a long ways off.

Only thing that concerns me a bit is the GPP situation. Basically you want the Astro bulb to be ready by Turn 140... ish. So including academy that means running 3 x 2 scientists nonstop from T90 onwards. That's just not going to happen here. But Mutal is not so great anyways (for a Bureau capital) and with FIN, I guess the empire can carry our research as a whole.

11. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

I would consider sending 1 worker on the forest chopped tile 1se of Uxmal, with 3 jungles surrounding we could get more spread so maybe better to invest one turn moving?

Whip plan for CI, size 4 or 6 settler?
    At 4 no happy guard would be needed yet :)
    Imo size 6 would only make sense with Pigs, but Mutal can use them too.

Another option would be that we skip south pigs city for now, in favor of gpp and library in CI.
    Might be better, it's not such a great city imo.
    CI with a little help of pigs could get size 6 in okay time for 3 pop lib.
    Mutal could use copper instead and 2 pop whip only.

12. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Yup, agree with worker moves. Settler vs library in CI ... well, depends. Pig city is definitely not so great and will be expensive for a while. But if it contributes until Optics it's better we settle it early. Our only "rush" is Monarchy for now :).

Don't know actually, usually I would skip 6th city for a while with no great options available. But we have 2x gems and FIN cottages, that changes things a bit.

I think CI gets Pigs most of the time anyways, 2-pop-library in Mutal looks good with copper. I suggest doing settler first in CI. Maybe grow to size 6 for 3 pop whip, otherwise we have to wait for 40/100 and that's a shame with so much food :).

Since we skip academy we are not so pressed for GPP points. And it's awkward whipping settlers later, painful when happiness for growth is there (Monarchy). Last settler and then focusing on vertical growth seems easier.

13. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

Okay i tried using everything we discussed ~~

More pigs south, but does not change our gems city plan i think?
    Adding city screenie pics, for those who find it easier following our game that way.

Attached Files:

Jarno likes this.
  14. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Looking nice :). Would settle gems as planned (chop granary, then double improve gems?) Trying to figure out how we save worker turns here in the best way. Will think a bit.

Don't know where 6th city should go now, though. South pigs has more grassland tiles I suppose? Settling on the desert tile where Axe is standing would be good... depending on seafood of course. Also nice that workers are close :)

West city is really not that great, should maybe save it for later.

15. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

Yup gems should be worth 2 workers.

We could settle 1w of gems and leave Iron for Pigs city, forest for jungle traded and i guess foodless cities are not that good for Iron in 2nd ring.
    New pigs has better land overall, righto.

16. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

More longterm, what are the plans, particularly in terms of GPs and bulbs?

Skip Academy due to the sucky capital? Double-bulb Astro. Bulb Optics too?

17. Lain

Lain Chieftain

I like 1W of gems. So do we move both workers on forest, chop granary, then move both workers on gems? Maybe that's best even though it wastes many turns. Also... instant river connection for new city with 1W of gems.

Regarding bulbs... I think 2x Astronomy and that's it. No academy I guess, bit of a shame but not clear where we would put it anyway. Maybe Mutal can get Maoi Statues with stone? And hopefully we capture something good for Oxford later.

18. dutchfire

Looking nice. After the gems, do we want a farm in the new city to help growth?
    Is another worker from CI instead of a settler useful?

19. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Generally: the more farms we have, the better (later replaced by cottages). That's limited by worker turns though. CI should get the settler out I think, there won't be a better time.

I had a vision where we use all those forests from the 6th city to chop 1-2 more workers.

20. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

Optics cannot be bulbed without maths, Alpha :)
    Uxmal would be a really good Bur Cap with food (gems, all green), but..
    no Academy i think yep, each city misses something.

For worker size 4 would have been enuf in CI, already set for settler now ~~
    Agree with Lain those forests can be used for workers too, so we would shoot ourselves in the foot a bit by delaying that city.

Farm after gems for city #5 yup, 2 farms even probably considering we are now much closer to Mona than Uxmal was.