Terrain and Interface Graphics Creation Templates

Has somebody experienced an error with the CoastPlacer action, where after using it, it will put the numbers on the last stage of the terrain?

EDIT: Those are the results I am getting even with the numbered layer cleared. I've updated the actions and followed the instructions closely, still, this is what I get.

Also, when CoastPlacer is finished, it doesn't rename layer XTGC79.

Running PS CS5.1 on Windows 7.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 155
@AvalancheMaster, Hello! Sorry for late reply.

Since the whole script is a huge recorded action, it is super picky. The image needs to be pretty much exact as it came to work flawlessly. Off the top of my head, remember, all the layers have to be invisible, and the Grey Grid should be the one 'selected'. Make sure there are not 2 duplicate layers. When you paste a layer in, you need to make sure you rename it correctly, delete the old one, and put it in the old ones spot.

It shouldn't be a version error either, I can say for sure; unless it's a cause of the version of Windows which I doubt. Anyways, I will try to rerun it to refresh my memory.

Let me know if you figured it out or not since last post.

Well, I've figured it out, and it does seem to be a version issue, as the earlier version's action works like charm.

Thanks for the great utility!

I think I understand most of the stuff here and all the templates made do help out quite a bit. I definitely appreciate you guys Tom2050 and Blue Monkey getting them up here.

A few questions though:

Considering this image from Blue Monkey
Spoiler :

Specifically considering ocean/sea, is there a definitive area (which number squares) that only gets repeated assuming a unique pattern on the landscape image? I understand coast or a change in terrain will stop at these prescribed edges, but again, what if it doesn't stop and just repeats?

Also,
A problem with the Hollow Earth scenario (limited terrain types) can be solved by using one of the Underworld terrain set plains as the sea/ocean.
Does that mean you made the sea into land or were just using different looking terrain?
Has anyone made the sea into land and then made the harbor buildings just make land units? I guess I understand it would still be "sea" and just look like land but the editor seems to allow a build cities flag on sea terrain. I haven't gotten far enough to try anything.

I just messed around a bit.

Using this
Spoiler :

And this
Spoiler :

I got this
Spoiler :

Numbering like this
Spoiler :
[/IMG]

Gave this
Spoiler :

Making me think the mix is too random to put a texture/pattern that uniquely crosses tile lines. I'm hoping someone will say I'm wrong.

Specifically considering ocean/sea, is there a definitive area (which number squares) that only gets repeated assuming a unique pattern on the landscape image? I understand coast or a change in terrain will stop at these prescribed edges, but again, what if it doesn't stop and just repeats?
It's going to be one of the tiles that's a single terrain - iirc there are 2 or 3 for each terrain pcx. Unfortunately, often the same one repeats - but not always. The only way I know to find out for certain which tiles consistently appear together is with exhaustive drawing of maps to match every permutation. The game engine will use a different graphic for a single tile island depending precisely where it is on the map. So there's definitely a stochastic element to complicate matters.

Does that mean you made the sea into land or were just using different looking terrain?
Has anyone made the sea into land and then made the harbor buildings just make land units? I guess I understand it would still be "sea" and just look like land ...
I want to use "land" terrain graphics - specifically underground terrains by tom2050 & Rhye for the coast, sea and ocean terrains. This will confine most units to caves (areas of land terrain) and tunnels (long narrow isthmuses). The "naval" units will be things like the "Iron Mole" or the "Digging Leviathan".

According to WildWeazel's templates the arrangement of water tiles is not the same as land. It's a little complicated to explain the resulting problem with without taking a lot of screenshots to illustrate but I'll try. A simple CnP to rearrange tiles doesn't work. There are either gaps where existing graphics don't cover the center of the tile or else the edges don't match when a map is made. It's further complicated by wanting to use graphics from more than one terrain set. The LM terrain needs to look quite different from the standard. The only solution I know is a lot of CnP and pixel by pixel editing. Worth it - but it means creating the scenario is a much longer process.

Hope that makes sense.

Making me think the mix is too random to put a texture/pattern that uniquely crosses tile lines. I'm hoping someone will say I'm wrong.
Unfortunately, afaik, you're right. Getting rid of those pesky repeating patterns seems to be very tricky. You may be able to avoid the visual result on a map by varying the placement of a standard & a landmark terrain that have very similar graphics.

Top Bottom