• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The 2024 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most economic growth already untethered from reality. Most "wealth" no longer has actual relation to anything tangible (bananas, concrete, lumber, etc).
Yup. It's not like I'm advocating for gold standards or anything, but I find it boggling that anyone can argue that a 100% fiat currency is anything other than politically allocated social clout. There's nothing else it could be.

Seems like Biden's addressing the masses' desperation as directly as possible.
I'm not going to give him crap for this, but I haven't looked at the percentages of the reserves in play.

This, if done with bits and pieces, and generally with the cycle of demand(more demand in summer than winter/refining capacity is flat year round), is a 100% legitimate use of futures contracts. Those only really get screwed up when speculators break the system with their free-roaming exponentially-viral socially allocated clout.

Last edited:

Ohio lawmakers urged to add Biden to November ballot​

Ohio's governor is pushing state lawmakers to avoid a partisan clash threatening to bar US President Joe Biden from the key swing state's presidential ballot in November.
The state's top election official said earlier this week that Democrats are nominating their candidate too late to comply with Ohio's ballot access laws.
Such conflicts have been quietly resolved in the past - but the Biden campaign may be forced to sue to get on the ballot.
On Thursday, the governor said he was calling the Legislature to convene for a rare special session to pass a law allowing Mr Biden to appear on the ballot.
Ohio requires political parties to officially confirm presidential and vice-presidential nominees to the elections chief 90 or more days before the general election.
That means Mr Biden and Kamala Harris, his vice president, must be certified as the Democratic candidates by 7 August.
Though Mr Biden has secured the votes necessary for the Democratic nomination, he will not be named formally as the party's candidate until the nominating convention.
But the Democratic National Convention is from 19 to 22 August.
"The conflict between the August 7, 2024 certification deadline and the date of your party's nominating convention is well established," Ohio elections chief, Secretary of State Frank LaRose, wrote in a Tuesday letter to Ohio Democratic Party leadership.
"Unless your party plans to comply with the statutory deadline, I am duty-bound to instruct boards of elections to begin preparing ballots that do not include the Democratic Party's nominees for president and vice president of the United States," the Republican said.
Former President Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican candidate, will not face the same issue. His party's national convention is 15 to 18 July, well in advance of the Ohio deadline.
Governor Mike DeWine, a moderate Republican who has distanced himself from the party's Trump-friendly wing, on Thursday said he was recalling state lawmakers to fix the "ridiculous... absurd situation".
“Ohio is running out of time to get Joe Biden, the sitting President of the United States, on the ballot this fall," he told reporters.
"Failing to do so is simply unacceptable."
Party conventions, both Democrat and Republican, typically are held in the summer before a presidential contest - and similar issues with certification deadlines are rectified with little drama.
Earlier this year, Democrats in Washington state and Republicans in Alabama made provisional changes necessary to exempt Mr Biden from ballot deadlines.
Ohio itself has done the same in the past, with its Legislature making exceptions for Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential nominee in 2012, and Mr Trump in 2020.
But the state's Republican House speaker said the body would not make a legislative fix to the issue.
"There's just not the will do that from the Legislature," Speaker Jason Stephens told reporters on Tuesday.
The Biden campaign is continuing to express confidence the issue will be resolved without drama.
“Joe Biden will be on the ballot in all 50 states,” Charles Lutvak, a campaign spokesperson, told US media.
“Election after election, states across the country have acted in line with the bipartisan consensus and taken the necessary steps to ensure the presidential nominees from both parties will be on the ballot.”
But with a legislative remedy by state Republicans off the table, the sitting US president may have to seek legal action.
Ohio, once viewed as a swing state, has become increasingly conservative. Mr Trump won Ohio in both 2016 and 2020, defeating Hillary Clinton and Mr Biden by roughly 8% margins both times.
The fight over Ohio's ballot comes after another partisan clash earlier this year - one that threatened Mr Trump's ballot appearance.
Officials in Colorado, Illinois and Maine ruled that the Republican was barred from returning to the White House under a Civil War-era insurrection clause in the US Constitution.
The US Supreme Court ultimately knocked down that decision in March, ruling that Mr Trump must be placed on the three states' presidential ballots.
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c1rrqj7ypzlo

Ohio requires political parties to officially confirm presidential and vice-presidential nominees to the elections chief 90 or more days before the general election.
"The conflict between the August 7, 2024 certification deadline and the date of your party's nominating convention is well established," Ohio elections chief, Secretary of State Frank LaRose, wrote in a Tuesday letter to Ohio Democratic Party leadership.
This does seem to be a point. All they need to do is get a form in. No one likes paperwork but it is not that hard.

Because I criticize Biden means I love Trump. The depth of your analysis is beyond words.

It has nothing to do with your feelings toward Trump, I just consider pretty much anything Biden does to keep Trump out of the White House to be "in our interests".

But the masses grow increasingly desperate and if we can't have radical positive reform than perhaps we can't be surprised radical self destruction becomes popular. Hitting bottom and all that.

I agree with this completely but I'm afraid the ship of radical positive reform has already sailed. The elites shot everyone who posed a threat back in the 60s and we're all just living in the world they made.

The elites shot everyone who posed a threat back in the 60s and we're all just living in the world they made.
They did get Oswald fast after he dropped the premier cold warrior.

Too soon?

The US Supreme Court ultimately knocked down that decision in March, ruling that Mr Trump must be placed on the three states' presidential ballots.
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c1rrqj7ypzlo

I'm personally excited for the decision upholding Ohio's right to disqualify candidates for failing to meet the legal requirements for candidacy, and keeping Biden off the ballot there. Maybe then the Democrats will finally be moved to try to address the right-wing takeover of the judiciary.

I'm betting that gets resolved in the state legislature.

But I'd bet harder on the court peepeesmacking Ohio if it comes to it.

What are the masses desperate for?

Cheap gas, near as I can tell, from the complaints one hears most.

Seems like Biden's addressing the masses' desperation as directly as possible.
Lol there's a deeper hunger I think especially among the young who aren't even that keen on car ownership anymore

They did get Oswald fast after he dropped the premier cold warrior.

Too soon?

No, just too brief? For example, I can't tell if you're implying that the Cold War was a threat to the elites (quite the opposite, the "threat" of the Soviet Union proved so useful that eventually American conservatives created a program called "Team B" to systematically exaggerate it for domestic political purposes, an exercise which would later prove useful in fabricating a justification to invade Iraq, but I digress).

To tie this back to the 2024 election, I do think the rise of Trump can be traced back to the systematic foreclosure of political alternatives that began in the 1940s with the kneecapping of the labor movement, continued with the Red Scare and the social purge of radicals that accompanied it, and ultimately escalated into a campaign of state violence against radicals, or at least reformers, like Fred Hampton, Martin Luther King Jr, and Malcolm X. From that point on with very little actually available in the way of political alternatives, politics was bound to just get weirder and crazier until now we have Trump. And of course while Gori believes that Trump's exit from the political scene will cause sanity to reassert itself, it seems quite clear to me that the opposite is true. Mark my words, the generation of Republicans who came of age in what we might call the "Trump era of American politics" (2015-present) are going to make us wish for the good old days of Trump himself.

Lol there's a deeper hunger I think especially among the young
Oh, that's their personal business. Biden can't do anything on that front. That's on them.

Yeah, I was young once too.

Oh, that's their personal business. Biden can't do anything on that front. That's on them.

Yeah, I was young once too.

This kind of accentuates what I'm talking about. Here is a person who, I assume, roughly was born around the time the "foreclosure of options" I sketched out above started (1940s or '50s). And the very idea that a politician might be able to enact a policy agenda changing a status quo is a literal joke, a bit of youthful silliness to be discarded with age.

You didn't get my joke, Lex (or my point in saying to Narz what I said).

while Gori believes that Trump's exit from the political scene will cause sanity to reassert itself

and here you misstate my position. I don't say sanity will reassert itself. I say the R electorate will be disappointed with all who follow Trump. That will include the, say, Paul Ryans of the world who re-emerge and say "Let's just go back to what we were doing before Trump." No sanity. The discontentedness that Trump mined and exacerbated will remain. But it will no longer have a spokesman who gives it focus.

Last edited:
You didn't get my joke, Lex (or my point in saying to Narz what I said).

Explain it then, by all means.

and here you misstate my position. I don't say sanity will reassert itself. I say the R electorate will be disappointed with all who follow Trump. That will include the, say, Paul Ryans of the world who re-emerge and say "Let's just go back to what we were doing before Trump." No sanity. The discontentedness that Trump mined and exacerbated will remain. But it will no longer have a spokesman who gives it focus.

Ah, I see. My response? To paraphrase Voltaire, "if the spokesman does not exist, it will be necessary to invent him."

The discontentedness that Trump mined and exacerbated will remain. But it will no longer have a spokesman who gives it focus.
Meh... I think Marjorie Taylor Greene will do just fine in that role... or Elon Musk... or whoever is trending on TV/social media when the time comes.

Explain it then, by all means.
One doesn't explain a joke! Let's see if Narz responds. Only his response matters.

(But our very talking about it may spoil the opportunity of its doing its work)

Meh... I think Marjorie Taylor Greene will do just fine in that role... or Elon Musk... or whoever is trending on TV/social media when the time comes.
Just a week back, we saw Greene's power when she is not in alignment with Trump. No. She won't do. Musk even less. He can't remotely carry off "voice of the common man." Wouldn't even want to try.

No, just too brief? For example, I can't tell if you're implying that the Cold War was a threat to the elites (quite the opposite, the "threat" of the Soviet Union proved so useful that eventually American conservatives created a program called "Team B" to systematically exaggerate it for domestic political purposes, an exercise which would later prove useful in fabricating a justification to invade Iraq, but I digress).
Just because the elites won does not mean that they were not at risk.

I do think a void will be created in Trump's absence that won't be easily filled.

Maybe without an easy target to villify the left will actually have to focus on its own merits but let's not be too unrealistic

One doesn't explain a joke! Let's see if Narz responds. Only his response matters.
Glad to know my existence has value.

I'm afraid I may have missed the joke entirely (I do miss things as much of my forum presence is an excuse to disassociate from my family (and life in general)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom