1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Big Bang: Why is it still being taught?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by classical_hero, Mar 2, 2014.

1. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

It's observational confirmation of a prediction made by the physics and mathematics of the Inflationary Big Bang theory.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Any details? (or a bit more specific info?) :)

3. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

We're discussing it in a different thread. Basically start here. Click the arrow next to Quackers's name to be taken to his post in that thread.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

There's no way of knowing unless you draw up an elaborate and hard to put together study.. But I have come across people who use punishment from God as an incentive to be moral. It follows that if the God element were removed, they would act less moral, in whatever capacity.

5. El_Machinae

They believe they'd be less moral. Either I believe their own opinions, or not. It's kinda scary when they say that. "Good" I think "Believe in God, then"

6. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

A few obnoxious Muslims and Christians claimed the same. Most religious people are definitely not that way though.

The way I see it, the primary function of a creed is to give people an overarching goal to work towards in life, not necessarily help people directly with secular pursuits, like creating a moral code, conjuring hamburgers or have a lightning bolt strike at your enemies.

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, but you live in Germany or something, right? I live in Canada, which is right snug up against a country with a large population of people who use religion to guide them in every aspect of life, including morality.

8. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Netherlands, though its close.

The US has put religion in the service of commerce. Actually, it really hasn't anything to do with religion to begin with.

9. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Subscribed!

10. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

They should come up with a new Bible where god created science. That way no matter what is discovered he is just unveiling another intentional mystery.

11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Just switch to the archaic religion and claim that "God eternally makes geometric calculations", as Pythagoras noted ;)

(Θεός αεί γεωμετρεί)

12. timtofly

timtofly One Day

In other words create your own God, instead of accepting or rejecting the one that already existed before the Big Bang?

13. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

So God exist as a given. The question is do you accept or reject it.

14. El_Machinae

No, a new Bible. We cannot create gods, only get closer to understanding the real ones.

15. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

This is a somewhat dubious claim. For instance, it's not a sure thing that people who feel cowed by the wrath of God would also not be moral on their own. There's a difference between fearing God and respecting your fellow man, as it were.

16. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus

I'm not sure, I do believe that the law of incentives is reasonably iron, though I admit it may only apply in a small way. If you're 5% likely to steal when nobody's watching if you believe in a vengeful God, you might only be 6% likely after renouncing your faith, but I don't believe that the probability doesn't change at all.

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It's a dubious claim when applied to a single person. Some people will, some people won't. For individual claims you just don't know until it happens so it's pointless to predict.

But in the end some people will and some people won't and on average immorality in the group goes up.

18. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

You also have to throw the incitement by God to commit IMmoral acts* into the equation as well of course. And it follows from that that removal of the God element can lead to people acting more moral. Now you have to balance the two forces out and see which wins.

(*Religious wars, genocide, human sacrifice, jihad, general intolerance of the unlike, etc)

19. timtofly

timtofly One Day

How much of that is God and how much of that is human nature though? While it is natural that even God requites death, death in and of itself is not a moral entity. While evil produces death, is that death moral in nature or the natural outcome of humanity if left to their own innocuous ability to be number one?

20. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

False dichotomy. How do you know some people won't become more moral without religion, and average immorality stays the same?