The Force should go back to sleep permanently

I just can't understand the audience the laps this <snip> up - and worse, the fanboys who justify it.

It helps to not treat the franchise like it's meant to be some Saving Private Ryan-esque political thesis on every little obscure smart term you heard in college. It's supposed to be a space opera. That is the shoe it fits. It does it well. Any nuance or importance beyond that fact is the responsibility of the one attributing said nuance or importance. In other words, what you get from it is entirely up to you beyond its space opera action sequences.

Stop getting pissed that you're eating cabbage and it isn't a cheeseburger. Just go eat a cheeseburger if that's what you're looking for.

Last edited:
I think people forget this is an industry. It's an industry where a few select players own everything in boxes-within-boxes scheme so of course everything is designed by committee, focus-grouped, tested for maximum broad appeal and so the whole thing feels sort of hollow and rigidly formulaic with nonsensical anachronistic humour thrown in during serious parts of the movie. As bad and obviously commercially driven (toy characters) the prequels were at least they represented what Lucas believed was a good movie. Same thing happens with every avenue of creative expression that grows big enough to be industrialized.

I was thinking the same thing. Disney bought Star Wars for 4 billion dollars - there was no way they were taking any chances. They pump out their product like a coal mine pumps out coal - films are just a commodity to them. They are in the business of making money, not producing great art.

Their marketeers convince people they had to establish the new direction by reiterating/recapping the original films - but those films didn't need recapping. Episode 7 could have forged on straight with it's fresh new direction because the original trilogy exists for anyone to catch up who hasn't seen them.

But because Episode 7 so closely followed the pattern of A New Hope, the subsequent films will likewise have to follow the same formula as Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. This makes perfect business sense, as you stick with what works. Then they just reboot and reboot and reboot because they are making a product, not a work of art let alone a new mythology.

Star Wars began and ended with the original trilogy.

Because I like it. Because I think it is good. Because complaining about people liking Star Wars - and feeling driven enough about it to make a thread on a website to do so - says more about someone's taste and character and intelligence than liking a silly pop sci-fi series does.

Because I like it. Because I think it is good. Because complaining about people liking Star Wars - and feeling driven enough about it to make a thread on a website to do so - says more about someone's taste and character and intelligence than liking a silly pop sci-fi series does.

But doesn't that mean you are looking down on me? You aren't a rotten complainer like some people, and this makes you feel good about yourself. You're different. You're better. LOL.

No, I am not better than anyone. It is entirely silly, however, to judge someone based on them enjoying TFA, and I believe most people would agree with that. Thus most people, yes, are better than you.

There are plenty of things you enjoy that are not "high art." This I can guarantee.

I didn't like TFA very much. But I will probably see the next one...life goes on. However bad the new movies are they can't ever tarnish the original trilogy or the good stuff from the Extended Universe which has now been retconned out of existence. But hey, that's what headcanon is for...

I didn't like TFA very much. But I will probably see the next one...life goes on. However bad the new movies are they can't ever tarnish the original trilogy or the good stuff from the Extended Universe which has now been retconned out of existence. But hey, that's what headcanon is for...

Luuke approves this message.

I'll watch the next one because Rey is too hot to ignore :love:, if for no other reason

My little brother, who was more into the EU stuff than I ever was, still hasn't seen TFA due to his outrage over the Great Disney-Induced Continuity Apocalypse.

I'll watch the next one too since Jar Jar Abrams isn't directing. Who knows - a miracle might happen, but I'm anticipating an Empire Strikes Back 'homage'.

Rogue One also fills me with some hope.

But because Episode 7 so closely followed the pattern of A New Hope, the subsequent films will likewise have to follow the same formula as Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. This makes perfect business sense, as you stick with what works. Then they just reboot and reboot and reboot because they are making a product, not a work of art let alone a new mythology.

You clearly seem to have some emotional attachment to the discussion at hand, as the latest Star Wars movie seems to have stirred a lot of emotions in you, but I am willing to make a bet with you that the next 2 movies in the series will not follow in the steps of episodes 5 and 6. I agree that episode 7 closely followed the formula of episode 4, but episode 8 is not going to continue this pattern. It wouldn't really make sense from a business point of view.. You've woken up a lot of Star Wars fans and reminded them that Star Wars exists - it would be foolish to disappoint so many people by rehashing yet another movie.

Fans were perfectly happy with a rehash for Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens. Why should we expect their behavior to change?

Star Wars

It had a Death Star in it. Therefore it was the same. Apparently.

Calling out Finn for not acting sensible then is ridiculous. He just did something heroically stupid. He saved Poe because in his soul he knew The First Order was wrong.

Which is clearly not a lazy way to write a character at all.

And that shows what kind of man Finn is. The kind of man who when pushed to his absolute limit will act with courage to do the right thing, even if it's completely nuts.

Makes you wonder just how a guy like that would have ended up as a stormtrooper in the first place. Oh, right, he was recruited as a child and was never even given a name. That explains why the majority of defectors from the Nazis were those raised in the Hitler Youth, since being enmeshed in a totalitarian ideology from the cradle is a great way to produce free-thinking, kind individuals.

Top Bottom