The Good State of Offtopic

The board is in a deplorable state.

Since 2014 the board has basically deteriorated to a smarmy centre-left echochamber garnished with even more outrageous anglospherian bias than before.
Generally speaking the board has devolved from an at times hostile arena of ideas to a passive-aggressive (or aggressive-aggressive) therapy session for aggrieved losers in certain recent electoral events.

*beep* *boop* *beeeeep* *boop*
You could always go to Apolyton..:mischief:
https://apolyton.net/forum/miscellaneous/off-topic

Reactions: rah
We've lost a lot of people over the years and haven't gained many.

Here's one person every forum needs.

pc4.jpg

Since 2014 the board has basically deteriorated to a smarmy centre-left echochamber garnished with even more outrageous anglospherian bias than before.
Generally speaking the board has devolved from an at times hostile arena of ideas to a passive-aggressive (or aggressive-aggressive) therapy session for aggrieved losers in certain recent electoral events.

Not enough anti-feminism threads for your tastes?

Edit: Dang it, @Phrossack. I opened this thread, walked away, came back, typed my witty one-liner, and then the page refreshed with yours 10 minutes ago.

I think the forum format is becoming a relic, unfortunately. Don't see many new youngsters here, right?

Nowadays if you see a youngster on the site it's confusing. I remember there was a new user just a couple of years back, who claimed to be a 13-year-old boy, with an Ed Edd 'n' Eddy avatar, and he said that he joined the site because he wanted help making Civ III mods. I was thinking, man, what time are you from?

Being anachronistic can be fun. Like you can space out walking across a quad once it starts getting warm and catch yourself whistling Standing On The Corner to yourself and realize nobody's painbody knows enough to give you dirty looks for experiencing a momentarily healthy and positive mental state.

Nowadays if you see a youngster on the site it's confusing. I remember there was a new user just a couple of years back, who claimed to be a 13-year-old boy, with an Ed Edd 'n' Eddy avatar, and he said that he joined the site because he wanted help making Civ III mods. I was thinking, man, what time are you from?

I wonder what chickenx4 is up to these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since 2014 the board has basically deteriorated to a smarmy centre-left echochamber
This presents an interesting contrast with a recent comment by Hygro,
Here at CFC where we have basically 3 big camps: left wingers, progressives, and centrists.
Do you have any idea why you might interpret things so differently from Hygro? You've said yourself, that despite a lot of poster's assumptions, you lean to the left on most issues, so while all three camps may blur together from a conservative perspective (and certainly the few remaining conservative posters have complained as much), I'd assume you have a somewhat different take?

I think that metatron has a point. There is a deplorable lack of righties to troll. Why that is the fault of my remaining comrades is beyond by ability to grasp.

I think the forum format is becoming a relic, unfortunately. Don't see many new youngsters here, right?

Forums are radio, social media and youtube are TV.
There are still new people in the civ forums every time a new game or expansion comes out, but they don't come to OT. They have twitbook for politica discussions or general nonsense.

Yeah, well, most new and short-lived right wingers here were either predictably boring or had views that were a bit too deplorable. It's not my fault that their first posts are defenses of Pinochet or ethnic replacement conspiracy theories.

I would welcome more righty diversity. Most right-wingers I've seen here since 2006 were Americans. Where are the Ex-Yugo nationalists, the Grey Wolves, the Reichsbürger ?
Stupid question. Most non-Anglo right-wingers don't even know English well enough to post on English speaking forums.

It's almost like the forum is in English so there is a massive structural bias toward the Anglophones ;)

It's sad because we're having some really interesting discussions about MMT and other things but you don't participate in that at all :(

It's almost as if i was making a comparison with, like the early 2010s.
I mean it's a pretty obvious contrast.

Is it? Just a feeling or you got hard numbers?

But, Lexi, i care (and know) only so much about economic theory, and i don't really enjoy rehashing arguments with inno we've already gone through six times.

Okay, well, if you don't want to participate in the discussions that are happening here that are anything but echo-chamber material, it just seems kinda...idk...sour grapes of you to declare the forum an echo chamber.

Also, experience has taught me that generally speaking someone claiming "this place is an echo-chamber" is a projection: what it really means is "you guys aren't an echo chamber echoing my views'...I know you and I hope that isn't really what you mean here, but you should understand a lot of people will read "this is an echo chamber" that way, or alternatively as "I am so right and I'm annoyed no one can see how right I am"

with a term - five times, no less - that i didn't use
Well I counted and the only term to appear five times in that post is echo chamber. Which, of course, you did use:

Since 2014 the board has basically deteriorated to a smarmy centre-left echochamber

You understand perfectly well that making monetary policy the prototype of what my complaint is about is absurd.

I mean, is this one of those things where now I'll name like six other, potential uh, 'prototypes' and you reject each of them in turn, leaving me without any idea what you were originally talking about?

Damn it!
I did.
My bad.
Anyway. I shouldn't have. It's a very bad term and i don't like it.

Look, one angle of my complaint here is that you guys have to turn everything into some siege mentality frame about Trump and... Farage, i suppose.
I am sure you can see how Trump not having a clearly understood position on monetary policy that can be knee-jerkishly reacted to (positively or negatively) makes this a not very useful example.

I no longer understand what your problem is if you've disavowed the term "echo chamber". You think we talk about Trump too much?

"Echo chamber" implies a degree of internal agreement that i wouldn't want to claim.
I suppose "siege mentality" is the more useful term i used.

I don't know whether you talk about Trump too much, per se.
You surely talk too much about him unproductively.
I suppose the fundamental problem is that you refuse to own up to the 2016 election being systematic, not accidental. You have to change.
Doubling down on the comfortable views you allready held before and - as the meme has it - autistically shriek at uncomfortable dissent for the sake of "resistance" accomplishes nothing.
It's particularly not useful when you do it to people from outside the Anglosphere on the discussion section of some gaming board.

But, yeah, you had a nice enough talk about MMT. That's true. And not very relevant to my point.

Can you please quote posts of mine that you feel fit this description?

"Echo chamber" implies a degree of internal agreement that i wouldn't want to claim.
I suppose "siege mentality" is the more useful term i used.

I don't know whether you talk about Trump too much, per se.
You surely talk too much about him unproductively.
I suppose the fundamental problem is that you refuse to own up to the 2016 election being systematic, not accidental. You have to change.
Doubling down on the comfortable views you allready held before and - as the meme has it - autistically shriek at uncomfortable dissent for the sake of "resistance" accomplishes nothing.
It's particularly not useful when you do it to people from outside the Anglosphere on the discussion section of some gaming board.

But, yeah, you had a nice enough talk about MMT. That's true. And not very relevant to my point.
I'd be willing to concede that we talk about Trump too much.
I'd be willing to concede that, given that this is the discussion section of some gaming board, we talk about Trump unproductively, unproductive in that it doesn't go into the larger public sphere, where it can make some difference (though I've sent two of my essays, on ideas hammered out here, to the Atlantic, so one can cross one's fingers that eventually our thinking might make the jump).
I'd be willing to concede that this fixation on Trump could be off-putting to the non-USian members of the board.

I'd contest the characterization that we "autistically shriek at uncomfortable dissent"
I'd contest that we "refuse to own up to the 2016 election being systematic." Some of the best thinking on Trump here, in my view, has been thinking on the larger societal framework that made Trump possible, even inevitable.

Our democracy is under siege. As one commentator puts it, Trump is stress-testing every institution and norm undergirding our democracy. While one hopes that those institutions will hold, will prove bigger than Trump, there's no way of knowing for sure. The scholars who study democracies that fail and slide into autocracy point out that it happens quickly when it happens.

I'll concede this place has been know to go overboard in it's criticism of Trump ;)

Top Bottom