• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[RD] The Republican nomination

The 'real problem' is that the economy is in a state of structural crisis due to vastly insufficient aggregate demand. The major reason for this is in turn that capital's share of national income is far too high relative to labor's, which in turn in turn (lol) is due to a variety of things including the destruction of union power and the maintenance of ever-increasing 'natural' rates of unemployment in order to avoid that perennial bogeyman of financial elites, inflation.

Neither party is in a position to address this issue. Only Bernie Sanders' policies come remotely close to addressing it.

His are negligibly better than others, but will also fall woefully short.

I think it is painfully obvious that you are spot on - the supply- and capital- side has far too much of the nation's wealth and income, while the demand side has far too little. It's quite telling that several extended rounds of QE caused no real inflation. The stock market remains at near-historic highs in terms of P-E ratios, and also appears badly overvalued in terms of prices relative to actual corporate assets. Now, some of this disparity comes from the growing value of intangible property, but it's still pretty far out of whack.

However, there are limited methods by which to correct this, and all involve massive transfers of wealth. The only real way to cut right to the heart of it is to impose a near-100% estate tax on estates over a very small threshold, say $2 million. No exceptions. Use the money to implement a basic income. This will help divorce aggregate demand from employment, which should not only help alleviate the affects of recessions, but help prevent them from ever starting. Basic income also has the benefit of reducing the supply of labor, potentially driving up wages especially at the bottom end of the wage spectrum.

Inflation is a threat, but so is artificially high stock prices. I think we're far from a happy medium in terms of supply- and demand- sides, and I wish presidential candidates would take the time to explain this. It's actually not that complicated at the basic level, though obviously in reality the various economic forces are incredibly complex.

I'll repeat myself (post #4293):
  • yesterday the GOP's ‘sane establishment candidate™’ John Kasich went on about how the minimum wage should be left to each state, etc. etc.
  • today, a few hours ago, the RNC chairman issued a statement in response to Obama's announcement that there're 240,000 more jobs in the US. First he said that it wasn't enough and second he blamed Obama for falling wages.
Isn't there some sort of contradiction? It's up to the individual states to deal with the minimum wage problem but it's Obama's fault that it's not solved…
Yes, I see where you're coming from now. The RNC chairman is not being consistent with Kasich at first glance. I'm sure he or Kasich would argue that it's not inconsistent, but I'm not interested in making that case myself. I don't think Obama has been a terrible president even though I disagree with some of his actions or policies.
Find out which the very lowest one is and prevent any state (yes, by federal statute) from making it lower than that. If the states continue to use ‘states' rights’ as a way to help tobacco and gun companies, prevent a living wage from being paid, and so on, eventually they'll make a lot of people want to do away with states' rights altogether.
On this one I don't know what you mean about helping tobacco and gun companies, unless you see leaving these regulations up to states as a means to help the businesses.

Taking away states rights is not as simple as getting fed up over some political issue and just deciding to do it. You're probably not claiming it is easy, but my point is that I don't care if 'most people' get to that level of frustration. If anybody get's that fed up they will have to get it through the senate where a lot of states would be opposed to the very thought, and then somehow show that it is constitutional.

Sommerswerd said:
You're right that your skills don't make you middle class, its your money/wealth/income, relative to your standard of living. But you're drawing a distinction without any substance. The point is that people don't have the qualifications/training/certifications/degrees/skills/"quwan" whatever you want to call it in order to be hired into the jobs that pay middle class wages.

Alright, this is a more cogent argument but still incorrect. You're missing the point that being paid a middle class wage is not a matter of having necessary skills, but of having sufficient power relative to your employer to claim a middle class wage. Having rare skills may be part of this but the 'real problem' in the economy is not a general lack of necessary skills.

Sommerswerd said:
Saying that "lack of demand" is the problem is off base. There's plenty of demand. There is not plenty of money. People want iphones and new cars and deluxe cable TV packages, they just don't have enough money to buy it all. Give them the money and they will buy it.

I am using "demand" in the sense it is used in economics, not whatever metaphysical sense of the word you're using here. I certainly don't mean that people don't have enough consumerism in them. The problem is a lack of money.

You can want all the things in the world - this doesn't translate into 'demand' unless you have the money to actually buy them.

metalhead said:
His are negligibly better than others, but will also fall woefully short.

Perhaps. There is also the fact that, were he elected, he would not be able to get a recognizable version of his policies through Congress.

metalhead said:
I think it is painfully obvious that you are spot on - the supply- and capital- side has far too much of the nation's wealth and income, while the demand side has far too little. It's quite telling that several extended rounds of QE caused no real inflation. The stock market remains at near-historic highs in terms of P-E ratios, and also appears badly overvalued in terms of prices relative to actual corporate assets. Now, some of this disparity comes from the growing value of intangible property, but it's still pretty far out of whack.

Well, for some time now macro policy has largely centered on maintaining asset prices in a foredoomed attempt to prop up the rate of profit. Because the link between productivity and wages has been broken by the successful assault on unions and the abandonment of full employment as a policy goal, this hasn't translated into broad-based prosperity.

And of course QE wasn't going to work - it was/is based on a fundamentally misguided economic theory that totally misunderstands the central bank's actual role in the economy. But anyway...

metalhead said:
However, there are limited methods by which to correct this, and all involve massive transfers of wealth. The only real way to cut right to the heart of it is to impose a near-100% estate tax on estates over a very small threshold, say $2 million. No exceptions. Use the money to implement a basic income. This will help divorce aggregate demand from employment, which should not only help alleviate the affects of recessions, but help prevent them from ever starting. Basic income also has the benefit of reducing the supply of labor, potentially driving up wages especially at the bottom end of the wage spectrum.

Well, there are plenty of ways to expropriate capital through policy. A large estate tax would certainly do it. I'd probably want of a progressive wealth tax as well. I'm in favor of both a full employment policy through job guarantee and a basic income guarantee.

As you may have gathered I'm something of an MMT disciple, so I'm in favor of increasing the government's deficit to fund the fulfillment of human needs generally. The deficit right now is too small.

Ultimately I think we're probably going to need to abolish the profit motive in production, which I see as the root cause of our cancerous 'growth for the sake of growth' mentality. After all the basis of the 'post-war golden age' was essentially that continuous strong growth would obviate distributional conflicts. And subsequent events have proven the real sacred cow was profits, not social order or increasing living standards for the bulk of the population.

metalhead said:
Inflation is a threat, but so is artificially high stock prices. I think we're far from a happy medium in terms of supply- and demand- sides, and I wish presidential candidates would take the time to explain this. It's actually not that complicated at the basic level, though obviously in reality the various economic forces are incredibly complex.

Inflation is certainly not a threat under current conditions. We're in no danger of Weimar-style hyperinflation (nor would we be if Sanders' agenda was enacted in its current form), despite what the Wall St Journal editorial page says :D

Alright, this is a more cogent argument but still incorrect. You're missing the point that being paid a middle class wage is not a matter of having necessary skills, but of having sufficient power relative to your employer to claim a middle class wage. Having rare skills may be part of this but the 'real problem' in the economy is not a general lack of necessary skills. I am using "demand" in the sense it is used in economics, not whatever metaphysical sense of the word you're using here. I certainly don't mean that people don't have enough consumerism in them. The problem is a lack of money. You can want all the things in the world - this doesn't translate into 'demand' unless you have the money to actually buy them.
I'm not missing the point of leverage, its just another irrelevant arbitrary distinction you're inserting into the issue. Your "leverage" vis-à-vis your employer, or potential employer, comes from your relative ability/qualification/certification to do the job they want to hire somebody to do... In other words, your "skills" or "quwan." I used the word "quwan" in attempt to get us past arguing about the definitions of words. The heart of the matter is if you have quwan employers want, they will pay you for it. If you don't have the quwan then you're stuck in low wage jobs. People don't have the quwan by-and-large, nowadays, so we have to pretend they do and pay them as if they did to keep wages from stagnating... which in turn keeps demand up.

And yes I get the difference between demand as used in basic econ, versus the dictionary definition. I have no idea WTF "metaphysical demand" is, so ill just assume that was an attempt at humor or condescension and ignore that.... But again, your just creating arbitrary distinctions without discussion the actual issue. Saying "its not money, its demand, cause my econ prof calls it demand" doesn't do anything but take one thing and call it something else. We could also call it "buying power", whatever. The point is that paying people more creates more economic activity, which is what we need. But it is artificial, in that it does not address the real problem, which is the lack of "quwan".

The reason the wealthy have all the money is because nobody has enough quwan to demand a higher share of their profits. Now that's a complex issue that I'd like to discuss in more detail if you'd like.

As an aside... I love arguing about definitions, and splitting hairs over minutia... love it... ask anybody. But what usually happens, is when I get going, the other person begins whining that I'm "quibbling over sematics" or similar. So I've learned to try my best to lay off ... But if you want semantics to be part of our discussion just let me know and I'll "let my guy out."

If you don't have the quwan then you're stuck in low wage jobs. People don't have the quwan by-and-large, nowadays, so we have to pretend they do and pay them as if they did to keep wages from stagnating... which in turn keeps demand up.

..................................................................................................................................................................

Saying "its not money, its demand, cause my econ prof calls it demand" doesn't do anything but take one thing and call it something else. We could also call it "buying power", whatever. The point is that paying people more creates more economic activity, which is what we need. But it is artificial, in that it does not address the real problem, which is the lack of "quwan".

Before I go too far down the wrong path, help me understand your position.

Are you saying the problem is

1) People who are under skilled in their roles today performing ineffectively
2) Not enough people have enough skills to demand higher wages

I think the the lack of "skills" problem is generally overstated and applies to only a small segment of the population. I think the larger problem is the past couple of companies I've worked for have no incentive to spend the billions of dollars they're sitting on. They have enough skilled people. They have no reason to hire more of them, they have an excess of skill and capitol.

I think the larger problem is the garbage collector doesn't make enough money. If the garbage collector could afford more things, the company I work for would need more people - skills negotiable.

In the "more quan" theory, what needs to happen for the garbage collector to make more money ?

Before I go too far down the wrong path, help me understand your position. Are you saying the problem is

1) People who are under skilled in their roles today performing ineffectively
2) Not enough people have enough skills to demand higher wages

I think the the lack of "skills" problem is generally overstated and applies to only a small segment of the population. I think the larger problem is the past couple of companies I've worked for have no incentive to spend the billions of dollars they're sitting on. They have enough skilled people. They have no reason to hire more of them, they have an excess of skill and capitol. I think the larger problem is the garbage collector doesn't make enough money. If the garbage collector could afford more things, the company I work for would need more people - skills negotiable. In the "more quan" theory, what needs to happen for the garbage collector to make more money ?
#2 is closer to what I am talking about, but I don't want to get too hung up on the word "skills" because I've already seen that leads us off on a tangent, and it seems like its doing the same with you. The real point is that the jobs that are available to be filled don't have enough people able to fill them, and the jobs that people can fill... anyone, including a robot can do.

You are right that in a consumption style economy, which is what we seem to have, the only thing that really creates jobs is when a company doesn't have enough people to sell all the goods and services it could sell if it had more people working... they hire more people, so they can make more money.

Now as for the garbage collector, going off the presumption that its an easy job to fill ... there are two possibilities. If its an easy job to fill, then just accept that its easy to find garbage collectors and just pay them more money. Or make the job harder/more complicated (with more of a sorting/recycling/resource reclamation component for example), so that less people can do the job, making it higher wage, but simultaneously higher utility.

Moderator Action: If you'd like to discuss economics, feel free to create a thread about it - this thread is about the Republican nomination, so please ensure your posts relate to that.

And be accused of having been born in Kenya for his trouble?

The reason the wealthy have all the money is because nobody has enough quwan to demand a higher share of their profits.

quwan = power

Now that's a complex issue that I'd like to discuss in more detail if you'd like.

It is a simple issue. The rich have the decision making power and they use that
to award themselves a larger slice of the wealth both in capital and in income.

You should go into politics.
I did... got a fancy degree in it and everythin' ... True story ... Anyway been there done that, (I actually am an appointed official in my local government) I even managed a campaign in GA, years back.;)... But thank J for the vote of confidence.:)
Cruz is going to try to force Rubio out of the race to make it a two-man race between him and Trump. But that means handing Florida to Trump.
Trump has already claimed Florida anyway. There's little that "Little Marco" or RusTed can do about it. I'm still rooting for Ted to pull out the first ballot win somehow (especially since Trump got rope-a-doped into again pledging to "support the Republican nominee" at the debate, but I know the math isn't there for Cruz:sad:.
And be accused of having been born in Kenya for his trouble?
That's why I carry my birth certificate with me wherever I go;)
quwan = power It is a simple issue. The rich have the decision making power and they use that
That's the gist, but how it relates to this campaign, is Trump is a symbol of that wealth and power. Trump represents the billionaire business class that the rural whites, poorer and middle class whites have been propping up all these years voting Republican. And what Trump has been telling them from day 1 is "Yeah we fleeced you guys. I was there I saw the whole thing. And since I know who did it and how they did it, I gonna show you "one simple trick they don't want you to know about" to get your power back." The voters know its a gimmick, but they also feel that hes right... they have been fleeced and he does know the hows and whos.

And an important difference between Trump winning and Sanders or Clinton winning, especially Sanders, is that if Trump wins he will have a Republican COngress to actually get things done.

if Trump wins he will have a Republican COngress to actually get things done.

I disagree. His views are far enough from the republican platform that he will have to negotiate with his "own" side to pass his bills. In this, he and Sanders are facing the same problems

quwan = power

It is a simple issue. The rich have the decision making power and they use that

In essence, yes. And the Republicans of course are pushing policies that will increase the wealthy's share of income even further, at the expense of everyone else.

IT doesn't matter which one of them is nominated, though I think Cruz would likely be the worst as far as redistributing wealth upward.

That's the gist, but how it relates to this campaign, is Trump is a symbol of that wealth and power. Trump represents the billionaire business class that the rural whites, poorer and middle class whites have been propping up all these years voting Republican. And what Trump has been telling them from day 1 is "Yeah we fleeced you guys. I was there I saw the whole thing. And since I know who did it and how they did it, I gonna show you "one simple trick they don't want you to know about" to get your power back." The voters know its a gimmick, but they also feel that hes right... they have been fleeced and he does know the hows and whos.[/I]

Then their only rational reason for voting for
Donald Trump is to deliberately break the system.

Whether conscious or unconscious is unclear.

People don't need rational reasons to vote for someone. Populists and demagogues are excellent examples of this.

I disagree. His views are far enough from the republican platform that he will have to negotiate with his "own" side to pass his bills. In this, he and Sanders are facing the same problems

I would agree with the important caveat that it only applies if Trump stops his recent right-ward leaning tilt in his policies. Even during the last debate he disavowed every one of his own liberal (or at least less-conservative) policy positions to appease the conservative audience. Now I can easily see him once again reversing himself in office to govern more to the center on a lot of policies. But I can just as easily see him sticking with his newfound 'true conservative' approach to policies. If he does that, he'll have no problems with a Republican controlled congress.

I would agree with the important caveat that it only applies if Trump stops his recent right-ward leaning tilt in his policies. Even during the last debate he disavowed every one of his own liberal (or at least less-conservative) policy positions to appease the conservative audience. Now I can easily see him once again reversing himself in office to govern more to the center on a lot of policies. But I can just as easily see him sticking with his newfound 'true conservative' approach to policies. If he does that, he'll have no problems with a Republican controlled congress.

I'm still wondering if he wants to win to actually apply his "program" because he's "the best" and can't be wrong or if he'd sell out to any position if it's in his political advantage. If the latter then you're probably right.

Top Bottom