1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Map Thread

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Abaddon, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I dunno, but I know you can't do it in PDN. There's a plugin for it but it sucks.

2. Milarqui

Milarqui Deity

You pick one brush and just below it there is one thing that allows you to change the size, and I think that there is other tool that allows you to make brushes of any form you wish.

3. Imago

Imago Mirror Wolf

I found a bunch of size options for paintbrush and pencil on GIMP. Not what I was hoping for (I'd like more options that are purely two-tone, with no smudge, and I'd like to be able to manually input diameter in pixels), but GIMP still looks far better than the current incarnation of Paint.

4. Dachs

Ah, well, you could just look at PDN.

5. Imago

Imago Mirror Wolf

I downloaded PDN first. For the way I do NES maps, it doesn't seem any good. The annoying part is when one of the drop menus says "Fill: Solid Color" and the paintbrush seems to disagree. I like its history feature, but extras aren’t really the equivalent of basic functions.

6. Dachs

Wow, ninja'd.

7. Imago

Imago Mirror Wolf

Aliasing, sure, and with that in mind I fixed the blur problem. But the paintbrush cursor on GIMP is still better than the one on PDN.

8. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

You can also make a selection of some odd shape, ctrl-c it and it will automatically become a brush.

9. Starlife

Starlife de la terre à la lune

Warning: This is weird. A definite... work in progress. This is not an official map for MoE.

Spoiler :

10. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

403 Forbidden.. removed by imageshack...

11. spryllino

spryllino Deity

Woohoo I love fc! :p Is that incomplete in the sense that I haven't marked the boundaries in yet or that you haven't finished with the rivers yet?

12. Starlife

Woops! Must've been caught in my great Imageshack account clean up operation. Anyway, I changed it significantly. New version, just for fun:

Spoiler :

13. vruchten

vruchten Found serenity in torture

@starlife: how did you do the mountain. they look great. i mean if i look closely i realize that there is a pattern... but is the pattern selfmade?

14. Starlife

Yeah, the pattern is self-made. Actually with mountains I usually paint them one-by-one, but because this is supposed to simulate an underground fantasy environment, I thought a broad pattern would suffice. So I just painted them one-by-one in a separate file and then defined it as a pattern and then filled this map. Can you see the pattern too much? As in, is it distracting?

EDIT: I suppose it doesn't matter if it is distracting as it appears now, because there will be tons of those pathways when this is finished, thus cutting through the pattern. :)

15. vruchten

vruchten Found serenity in torture

no, i do not think that it is distracting, actually i just found out by looking for patterns, because i wanted to see if you used them..

16. Starlife

Another variation (I may lighten the lava bits up):

Spoiler :

17. Vertinari118

Vertinari118 Deity

Out of interest what are the trees meant to represent? The standard fungal forests or something else entirely?

18. Starlife

I was thinking in this supposed vast underground fantasy world (keep in mind this is not an official map for Ethereal or anything) that there would be sort of dead woods from a past world, not burned by the heat or lava due to the resin of age and magick.

Similar to how this underground also features canyons and full-size mountains.

19. Vertinari118

Vertinari118 Deity

Canyons are easy, full-sized mountains less so. Is this literally a world which had a lid of rock slid over the top of it?

20. Starlife

I don't know what to tell you. I thought it would be cool to have underground mountain ranges, similar to what Jules Verne wrote about in his stories. I have no logical, scientific explanation for this fantasy underground. Think of it perhaps as a whole other dimension, that exists underneath a real world - only accessible through special doors or portals? It is deep underground. I also had in mind Victorian science fiction concepts such as another Earth-like environment existing closer to the core of the Earth, but without a sky.