Turkey in europe

Hmm, they kept a knowledge that originated in the Greeks and Romans and that was crushed thanks to the actions of the repeated wars against them, which include the Arabs' actions against the Eastern Roman Empire!
Hmm...who crushed the western roman empire long time before?:)

Hmm...who crushed the western roman empire long time before?:)

The migrators, but who cares? It's the Arabs that crushed the Eastern Empire. The fact that the Eastern Empire was a lot stronger and lasted 1000 years more is only to its glory, you can't blame the... let's say Ostrogoths for the loss of Jerusalem that was first conquered from Byzantium by... who? ;)

BTW, if Cyprus isn't EUROPE, so why they are in EU???

Religion. Culture. Ethnicity. History. Democracy. Do i need to say more? Pretty much the same reason Armenia and Georgia are considered "European" (If it's possible to define it...) Cyprus = European but in Asia. Sorta like how Hawaii is American but in the Pacific.

The migrators, but who cares? It's the Arabs that crushed the Eastern Empire. The fact that the Eastern Empire was a lot stronger and lasted 1000 years more is only to its glory, you can't blame the... let's say Ostrogoths for the loss of Jerusalem that was first conquered from Byzantium by... who? ;)

Why blame anyone?

People migrate. Empires fall. Feelings get hurt.

Why blame anyone?

People migrate. Empires fall. Feelings get hurt.

That's a reply to a reply to a reply to one of the many points of my post, it's away from the topic, very true, but simply saying true things doesn't make other points true. :)

One question - please answer me honestly - are you Muslim? Because that would explain the one sided/brainwashed (don't know which one is better to use) stance that you express here. Wow and I used to be the one to take the side of Islam in certain debates when people treat it too harsh.

I can hold some of Christian principles, but I am not Christian at 100%. I define me as a spiritual but not believer, but I believe in Science and in a small change of something or someone bigger out there...

To be honestly, i don't care about any religion! Only I've a point of view quite diferent. And as Mao said: religion is the opium of the people!

Because you are focusing on the issue of religion I manifest so antagonistic of the general of the european.
Now, if you focus over the situation of human rights, then I'll take a party as a common European, by beeing against to Turkey. However, we should not disregard Turkey, because she could be a great ally, as well as economic partner, in a near by close future.

Only a small part of Turkey is in Europe, and also a minority of population. And most of the people don't want to be in the EU, or consider themselves european.

Agreed. They just want in because of the extra perks.
And trust me, the perks ain't worth it when you loose all your democratic power to those centralized institutions anyway.

Religion. Culture. Ethnicity. History. Democracy. Do i need to say more? Pretty much the same reason Armenia and Georgia are considered "European" (If it's possible to define it...) Cyprus = European but in Asia. Sorta like how Hawaii is American but in the Pacific.

When I post the question, I was reading previous postes, and I notice one thing: Cyprus isn't in Europe, it's in Asia. So by beeing ironic, I post it, to see, why the question of Asia should be a reason to not join Turkey to the EU.

I know that Cyprus is quite european.

To be honestly, i don't care about any religion! Only I've a point of view quite diferent. And as Mao said: religion is the opium of the people!
Only technical note:It was said by Marx, not Mao. I fully agree with the rest of your post.

That's a reply to a reply to a reply to one of the many points of my post, it's away from the topic, very true, but simply saying true things doesn't make other points true. :)

There seems to be a lot of "Turkey invaded Europe, they were our enemies" sentiment in here; what I wrote wasn't supposed to be a response to anything specific, really.

Not our enemies man.
It's just that they want in not because they are european but because they want a part of the extra perks. I mean we might aswell create a world government. I guess we're moving towards that direction anyhow tho :p

@ Zenon

Mao probably said it aswell but Marx was first with it.

When the Marshall plan was created to help rebuild Europe after WWII, Turkey was one of the nations that was included into the "European" Marshall plan. Ok, the plan was more anti-communist than anything else, but still.

Turkey has always been European. And that is all...

I just gave one little illustrations. There are countless others proving that Turkey is European, whatever that may be. Of course, there are as well countless other showing that Turkey is not European, whatever that may be. You didn't even read the whole post, did you?

m

The issue isn't "Is Turkey European today?", as much as "Which is most in our interest, that Turkey is European, or non-European, tomorrow?"

Top Bottom