Twitter banned in Turkey

And I tend to agree with you. If this were to happen in the US, I would be outraged even though I don't use Twitter. However, I have decided to play Devil's Advocate here by posing the question of whether or not social media is a necessity of free speech.

I think we all agree that social media definitely enhances freedom of speech, but is it essential to the existence of free speech?

It is a flavour of free speech then. It's like banning lesbians or BDSM because 'something something'.

Will this move not also alienate Erdogan-supportes? Or is this political struggle so bipartisan at this point that winning the struggle is all that counts?
This could have some effect but only marginally. People already made up their mind this would not change much things.

And I tend to agree with you. If this were to happen in the US, I would be outraged even though I don't use Twitter. However, I have decided to play Devil's Advocate here by posing the question of whether or not social media is a necessity of free speech.

I think we all agree that social media definitely enhances freedom of speech, but is it essential to the existence of free speech?

Not in a country with a free media but for coutries like Turkey it IS essential. It is not the ONLY way to spread news but most effective.

As long as twits aren't banned, that would be racism. :angry: :pissed: :mad: <--- Okay that worked, everyone calm down.

Back in 2009 I think it was and for a year or so afterwards youtube was banned in Turkey. Everyone used a proxy which was mildly annoying because it caused pop-ups. Then I figured out how to change the DNS. Apparently Iran has a more effective way of blocking things which DNS cannot get through but perhaps with VPN. Actually an Iranian friend of mine showed me how to use it because I was in Djibouti last year and they had a skype ban which was very difficult to get around.

While i also never use Twitter i have read elsewhere too that unlike Facebook (which can directly ban pages/announcements/posts/posters etc) Twitter is not formed in a way which makes this as easy.

president of the Turkish bar associations union said his number one item in his to do list ist to apply to court for lifting the ban.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

It seems this worked. A court in Ankara decided to lift the ban. It's not applied yet but i think it'll open within the day.

So if the court order goes into effect and Twitter gets unbanned, will Erdogan have lost anything at all from this debacle?

^It is just more of the usual "good cop/bad cop".
Actually i don't think so. There are lots of nationalist and "gülen supporter" judges -and some fair ones- if one of them was overseeing the appeal he could lift the ban.

youtube is banned also

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

youtube is banned also

And for rather sensational reasons: leaked recordings were just uploaded wherein the Turkish foreign minister, head of intelligence, and other high-ranking officials plotted a false-flag attack as an excuse for an invasion of Syria. And since the government panicked, it certainly looks like it's legit. Erdogan's lost his mind.

And for rather sensational reasons: leaked recordings were just uploaded wherein the Turkish foreign minister, head of intelligence, and other high-ranking officials plotted a false-flag attack as an excuse for an invasion of Syria. And since the government panicked, it certainly looks like it's legit. Erdogan's lost his mind.

^:rotfl:

wow

How refreshing, a PM (Sultan?) who would launch an invasion of another country just so that he can hope to not lose the election in a few days.

Turns out the internet really does help in some crucial ways despite all the crap.

Erdogan really has gone off the deep end hasn't he. I was supportive of his government at first, but over the year's he's done his best to prove me wrong.

the invasion of Syria has been on the cards since 9/11 . The Ukrainian has been doing a good job after all .

the thing is the new Turkey came to being with similar tapes that showed the Military was capable of bombing a mosque in Istanbul and shooting down a Turkish Jet to frame the Greeks . For that there are people behind bars for life . The scale of the affairs can be judged by the fact that Al Crusading -which people know as Jazeera- summarizes the meeting to be only between generals .

Erdogan really has gone off the deep end hasn't he. I was supportive of his government at first, but over the year's he's done his best to prove me wrong.

I was very disappointed when I know twitter is ban, even more when I know youtube is ban, as you are I always support his government. However Turkey government receive a threat from radical group named ISIS, they stated they will bomb Sulayman Shah tomb if Turkey don't do as they said. Turkey official discuss how can they disarm and attack back this group before this group start to attack them inside their territory. The conversation was recorded and spread in youtube, and Erdogan called for a ban.

I really don't understand why is that necessary to ban youtube for this. This also pretty much prove that new Turkey government not been control by Islamist hive mind as the popular conspiracy theory myth suggest. And I think attacking ISIS will gain support from most of the world, even gain support within the most freedom fighter in Syria including the Kurdish nationalist freedom fighter, because most are quite suffering in the hand of ISIS.

And Turkey government cannot stop the distribution of the video even though they ban youtube, peoples can use proxy and download the video then spread it. The ban on youtube it just grow more public curiosity on the subject. Still I supporting his government but I don't endorse this action.

I was very disappointed when I know twitter is ban, even more when I know youtube is ban, as you are I always support his government. However Turkey government receive a threat from radical group named ISIS, they stated they will bomb Sulayman Shah tomb if Turkey don't do as they said. Turkey official discuss how can they disarm and attack back this group before this group start to attack them inside their territory.
This is not that easy. Hakan Fidan (Head of National Intelligence Organisation) said, we don't need any excuse to attack ISID if wee need excuse we could attak Tomb of Süleyman &#350;ah and make it look like they did. And he opposes that tomb of Süleyman &#350;ah (and soldiers protecting it) are worth going into war with ISID.

I really don't understand why is that necessary to ban youtube for this. This also pretty much prove that new Turkey government not been control by Islamist hive mind as the popular conspiracy theory myth suggest. And I think attacking ISIS will gain support from most of the world, even gain support within the most freedom fighter in Syria including the Kurdish nationalist freedom fighter, because most are quite suffering in the hand of ISIS.

And Turkey government cannot stop the distribution of the video even though they ban youtube, peoples can use proxy and download the video than spread it. The ban on youtube it just grow more public curiosity on the subject.
Because Erdo&#287;an lost his touch with reality. He has a need to punish someone and he can't find the perpetrators and can't stop people from accesing to videos. He lost control of the state and county he'll act more aggressive with rage. he lost the ability to make rational decisions.

This is not that easy. Hakan Fidan (Head of National Intelligence Organisation) said, we don't need any excuse to attack ISID if wee need excuse we could attak Tomb of Süleyman &#350;ah and make it look like they did. And he opposes that tomb of Süleyman &#350;ah (and soldiers protecting it) are worth going into war with ISID.

I also heard that conversation using proxy. However they still need a reason to attack ISIS or ISIL or ISID (all of them are the same) because attacking ISIS mean violating Syria border and officially interfering on Syria conflict and more important declaring war with Syria government itself, tell me if I'm wrong because my Turkish is not that good maybe I don't get it right while trying to understand their conversation.

ISIS is such a pain for everybody. And far before the incident that they threaten to attack Turkey government, I already heard ISIS have a notion to attack Turkey, and as those of you who follow the news knew they already attack Lebanon also. Even though I against intervention policy of any country what ever it is, but if it is already threaten the security of Turkey, then it is quite logical if Turkey try to secure themselves by disarming ISIS as soon as they can.

Top Bottom